Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
May 12, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #46 of 2,001
Beer Fi? Hmmmmmm..... My favs are Dogfish Head, Brooklyn Brewery, North Coast Brewery, Stone, Rogue, Hair of the Dog, Smuttynose, Victory, Chimay, and many others. BTW I am a 90 Minute man as well. Count me in.

May 12, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #47 of 2,001
I'm a great fan of German beers, though there's nothing wrong with a an english pub or belgium beer.

beer.jpg

May 12, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #49 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a Konig Pilsner on row 8 column 1 ?

Close, that's Radeberger. Konig is row 5, column 4.
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks a lot alike though, but has a differently shaped top label.

May 12, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #50 of 2,001
count me in, my favorites are just about anything from the magic hat brewery, sam adams cherry wheat and winter lager for standard day to day stuff

other then those, i've tried tons of stuff, rogue, dogfish head, so many good beers so little time

also starting to brew my own, first batch is fermenting now, a basic lager, we'll see how it turns out

May 12, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #51 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately it's hard enough to source my own supply now I live in Australia. So far I've found London Pride, Fullers ESB and Old Speckled Hen (which I am less fond of than the Fullers brews). I'll be sure to enjoy lots more when I return to the UK at Christmas. Courage Directors for one...

You should be able to find Australis, it's brewed in a pub in Auckland, New Zealand. I've only read about it in Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide (500 Classic Brews), DK Publishing, 2000 North American Edition.

I myself am an avid collector of vintage ales and lagers. I like 'em old
blink.gif
wink.gif

I have a modest collection at the moment, all of them set to age. Orval for 5 years, Chimay Blue for >5 years, Sami Claus for >10 years, Thomas Hardy Ale for >20 years, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot >10 years, Rogue Old Crustacean >?, to name only a few.
For me the best thing about beer is how much it matures over time. But their are many beers that are best when fresh, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Hoegaarden, Sami Smiths, Bittburger, Staropramen, Budvar (the original Bud), again to name only a few.

Geoff: How about Black Sheep's Yorkshire Square Ale? Ever try that one?

May 12, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #52 of 2,001
One of my favorite things! Last night I had some Ale Smith IPA and Trappistes Rochefort 10. Both were amazing.

Today my boss gave me a pint of Stone Imperial Russian Stout, one of my all-time favorites.

May 12, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #54 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geoff: How about Black Sheep's Yorkshire Square Ale? Ever try that one?

No I haven't. I've had a few other beers from Black Sheep, but I'll make a point of trying that one when I get home.

Those vintage beers sound very exciting, by the way. I can imagine the expectation when you finally crack one open after ten or twenty years!

May 13, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #55 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I haven't. I've had a few other beers from Black Sheep, but I'll make a point of trying that one when I get home.

Those vintage beers sound very exciting, by the way. I can imagine the expectation when you finally crack one open after ten or twenty years!

It ain't easy! The best I've done so far was to age a Sami Claus for 10 years. A buddy and I split a '95 at Xmas '05. It was like being hit in the head with a larg gold brick
wink.gif

May 13, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #57 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lister
Why do women always leave me for total smegheads? Why do they dump me for men who wear turtleneck sweaters and smoke a pipe? I mean, natural yoghurt eaters! Reliable, sensible, dependable, and lots of other words that end in "-ible." He's obsessed with house-prices, and spends half his life in antique fairs looking for bargains and drinking wine. It's never beer, is it, it's always wi-ine! "What do you want on your cornflakes, darling?" "Oh, I'll have some wine, please!" Smeg!

etysmile.gif

May 13, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #59 of 2,001
Living in the boonies as I do makes enjoying fine beer a challenge. While I'd love a greater selection, with enough legwork, I can usually come up with Guiness and Bass Ale. Bass is my personal favorite tough. Just love the flavor. Can't stand the watered down brew most around my town are drawn to like Bud Light and Coors Light. Blech!! Talk about a watered down disappointment! Give me body, a rich dark color and some TASTE! If I can't find Bass or Guiness, it's sipping Tequila or Vodka for me.

May 13, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #60 of 2,001
Guinness abroad is always nice...here, though, I have to go for Summit Maibach. ^__^ Local brews FTW! Ah, and there's a brewing company in St. Paul that has something like 50 different recipes for you to choose from; you go with a few friends, and pay ~180 for a keg of really kick-ass beer (broken into 22 oz. bottles). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get my friends to go back yet. Yargh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back