*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Feb 3, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #61 of 2,577
Oh baby, just bought the Uber stack. So excited! FiiO has served me well for years, but a little bonus at work combined with the fantastic reviews these are getting, and it seemed like the perfect moment to upgrade. I'll give them a run with my HD595's while I decide between 600's, 650's, or potentially 700's. Has anyone tried them with HD700's? I saw lots of chatter about other Sennheiser models, but nothing on the 700's.

I can only speak for the HD650's but i can say im extremely happy with the way they pair with this schiit stack. The bit of warmth the HD650s have combined with the more analyrical schiit stack to me give a great balanced signature

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #62 of 2,577
  I'm going to buy a Magni 2 Uber, and plug my CDP (Marantz CD 5004) straight into its input. Will adding the DAC make a massive difference? Also how does a CDP, Amp, DAC combo work?

Will a CDP and Magni 2 sound good?

Yes you can plug your CDP directly into the Magni. You can also plug a DAC into the Magni. But, you cannot do both at the same time. The CDP provides an analog signal to the Magni which the Magni can amplify. The DAC does the same thing but it first converts a digital signal, like that from the USB port of your computer, into an analog signal. 

Basically your CDP and a DAC would be separate sources of music.

Cd player can be used as a digital transport also (if it has digital outputs, which I believe the CD 5004 has). That way there are options for different setups for times when you get bored :)

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #63 of 2,577
Okay, cheers peeps. I'll just get the Magni 2 Uber for now and I'll look at other options at a later date. I'm relatively new to headphone amps and stuff. I've used hifi stacks and mini systems, boomboxes, ipods, etc. over the years, so I'm not used to DAC's and transports and all that. 
It should sound pretty decent, the Marantz isn't a bad sounding little CDP, apart from the torodial hum, lol.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #64 of 2,577
In the past I had marantz cd player (CD 5001)  and used it both as digital transport to a dac and also as a source (with its built in dac which was not bad sounding at all).  It died on me after a while, since then I moved solely to pc audio.
I no more believe in cd spinning, although I do miss it from time to time.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #65 of 2,577
Just noticed this thread, and thought you'd get a kick out of what I'm using at my home engineering desk...

Enjoy!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 5, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #67 of 2,577
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 5, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #69 of 2,577
  Just noticed this thread, and thought you'd get a kick out of what I'm using at my home engineering desk...

Enjoy!

Awsome to see the great Jason Stoddard in this thread
deadhorse.gif

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #70 of 2,577
Hi Jason

I currently run an NFB-12, which has been a great unit over the past 4 years.  I'm looking for a slightly smaller footprint to free up space on the desk, and have been considering the M&M2 Uber stack.  My main question is regarding my passive bookshelf desktops speakers - Celestion F10s (http://www.amazon.com/CELESTION-F10-DARK-APPLE-Bookshelf/dp/B0002PUI6E).

The NFB-12 powers them quite well - on high gain, using the rear RCAs, and controllable from the volume pot.  Looking at the specs, power output with the M2 stack seems roughly similar.  Do you have any experience of the M2 being able to run passive bookshelf speakers?

Thanks in advance

Paul 

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #71 of 2,577
I've been using my HD 598 paired with an Asus Xonar Essence STX for a couple years now. I felt like it was time for me to upgrade but I was quite happy how extremely comfortable the 598s are as well its sound signature (or so I thought).
So I bought a M/M 2U.
The difference in quality was immediately apparent. I was quite amazed how detailed and clear and just all around more precise my 598s were, especially with the bass. I'm absolutely loving it.
Problem is that it's so detailed that some albums I used to love listening to are unbearable because the treble now is so harsh; I'm hoping it's just the particular rip and not the recording itself.
Tracks like Mass & Spring by Amon Tobin feel more alive and crystal clear than ever, or Catch My Heart (Warlock cover) by Bohren & der Club of Gore sounds like the band is in the room with you.
I'm on my phone so it's a pain to quote but to the poster asking about loose connections, every connection on my M/M is tight, only the Modi input button rattles (by design I'm aware). Although the knob on the Magni is slightly off center though still works fine.

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #73 of 2,577

Sounding very good so far!

The worst thing about living in Iceland is that everything takes so long to arrive. Waiting for my Beyerdynamic DT990's to arrive so until then I have to use my Sennheiser HD380 Pro.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #74 of 2,577
I have a question: Do the magni and modi uber have some kind of mechanism agains power shortage?  I remember one time powering the modi and it didn't turned on.. so I just turned off the switch and tried again and it was ok.
I don't know the exact reason for this, but I hope that nothing bad happened internally.  so far it works good without any noticalbe issues, but you can never know.

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #75 of 2,577
Ordered my Modi 2 + Wyrd back on 1/30, sold my Dragonfly the other day in preparation for the arrival of the Modi, and the package arrived today!  So pumped!

Open up the box and what do I find?

A SYS + Wyrd.

frown.gif

EDIT:  Just to be clear, I did contact Schiit CS and they are sending me the Modi 2 and a return shipping label for the SYS.  Here's hoping they'll accidentally send a Gungnir this time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back