*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jan 22, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #31 of 2,577
My new pile of schiit:

I am so happy with my purchase..great sound!  the dac is definitely better than the Dragonfly IMO..sound is much less sharp and aggressive(digital)..but sound signature is neutral and balanced.   Look so good and fit perfectly on my little desk.
Right now a session with the SR325e's and tommorow I will try the HD800.    
One little issue I had is the first time I listened I got noisy pops, probably from the dac.  But it was gone after one minute so no problem.    (I have the wyrd but decided to leave it aside for now).
I had a really nice suprise opening the modi2 uber box..a pair of straight wire rca cables!  WOW ..this is not a schiity cable at all!    Kudos schiit   
beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #32 of 2,577
  My new pile of schiit:

I am so happy with my purchase..great sound!  the dac is definitely better than the Dragonfly IMO..sound is much less sharp and aggressive(digital)..but sound signature is neutral and balanced.   Look so good and fit perfectly on my little desk.
Right now a session with the SR325e's and tommorow I will try the HD800.    
One little issue I had is the first time I listened I got noisy pops, probably from the dac.  But it was gone after one minute so no problem.    (I have the wyrd but decided to leave it aside for now).
I had a really nice suprise opening the modi2 uber box..a pair of straight wire rca cables!  WOW ..this is not a schiity cable at all!    Kudos schiit   
beerchug.gif

Can you write your impression of HD800 with the Schiit stack when you have tested it. Thanks!

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #33 of 2,577
So right now my setup is: laptop (foobar+wasapi[push mode]) --> wyrd --> modi2 uber --> magni2 uber --> HD800.   I am using 7$ monster usb cables and PYST 6" rca (straight wire!) to connect the stack together..really great high quality IC's.
Without getting into too much sound science, this stack sounds clean and neutral..my definition of high fidelity sound.   I can't say that the magni is better or worse than my headroom ultra micro which is also very high quality amp (class A ,the magni is AB..but magni is fully discrete while headroom's is op amp based - OPA627), they both sound pretty much netural .."solid state", I think that the improved sound I am getting is mostly because of the modi which is a little better than the Dragonly(1.2) which is more "digital" and aggressive sounding.  I also can't tell exaclty what the wyrd is contributing to this system,but it's there to make sure that the modi usb input is maximized to its best.  And there is not a hint of noise or hum of any kind, simply clean sound.

EDIT: Regarding the headroom ultra micro vs magni ,it is finally nice to have a normal rca and 1/4 headphone plug connections,less one 1/4 to 1/8 adapter in the chain 
wink_face.gif
).
I heard that wasapi "event" mode is better than "push" mode, But I experienced some pop noises with modi with event.  push mode plays smoothly.

More impressions later.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #34 of 2,577
I am pretty new to this stuff but I think I have found a hobby that I can very easily enjoy.

I am waiting to get my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm and I also bought the Magni2/Modi2 Uber, That should be enough to drive these headphones? I kind of jumped into the pool but I am just so exciting to listen to music with my digs!

If it isn't enough then I guess I'll just use my Sennheiser HD380 Pro's.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #35 of 2,577
  I am pretty new to this stuff but I think I have found a hobby that I can very easily enjoy.

I am waiting to get my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm and I also bought the Magni2/Modi2 Uber, That should be enough to drive these headphones? I kind of jumped into the pool but I am just so exciting to listen to music with my digs!

If it isn't enough then I guess I'll just use my Sennheiser HD380 Pro's.

Magni should drive your beyers without any problem on high gain mode.  enjoy your new equipment, the modi/magni stack is wonderful.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #36 of 2,577
Hi everyone. I just bought the magni 2 Uber and I must say, I'm extremely satisfied with its performance so far. I'm currently using them with my iems, namely my UM Merlin and Phonak 112 while I wait on my he-560. My source is the DX90 and before this I was using a well regarded portable amp, the Tube Amp TA1. But the little magni is in a different league altogether! Very clean, wide, deep and it has great layering too. You can hear things farther from your ear! Never thought that was possible Didn't expect much from a 150 amp. Now I can't wait for my He560s to come. I used to have the He-500 with the emotivas and I was pretty sad when I had to I sell them (had to move away). But now with this small setup, I reckon it'll be much more convenient if I had to move (which I will be doing, heading to the states for my phd in fall). I'll update when I get my he560s. Super psyched! 

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #38 of 2,577
I really love the modi/magni uber stack, it really has a character of its own. Although superbly neutral and solid state , it is not boring at all.  I can't explain but it has some kind of warmth to the sound but not in the sense that it adds more low frequencies or roll off high freqencies,but more like an analog sound.  It could actually be the modi..comparing to the Dragonfly I will not be surprised.    But I still can't tell for sure until I play with different setups,  pairing modi with headroom ultra micro amp should be also interesting.
But I find the sound very enjoyable and interesting while keeping the accuracy and neutrality.    
Next step I am going to try some upsampling my 16/44.1 files to 24/176.4 or 24/192..something I couldn't do with the Dragonfly (As it is limited to 96khz).

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #39 of 2,577
The Modi 2 Uber is completely selling out. Might be a while before I can get mine to try it out.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #44 of 2,577
RiddleyWalker Hi there! Second day of use. Around 20hrs in. Dx90>m2y>he560. I have a set audition playlist, all flac. Here goes. The pairing is excellent, quite satisfying I must say. The m2u is powerful enough to make the hifimans grunt. It is very quiet with a black background. Maybe ever so slightly warm but otherwise very clean and extremely detailed. The details don't come out at you, they're presented very gently. What i find most amazing about the pairing is the soundstage and depth. All the instruments have adequate air around them. Placement and layering are the best I've heard. Everything sounds airy but not in a bad way. The vocal are the best I've ever heard. If I had one complaint, it would be that he bass isn't as hard hitting as my previous 11.32>emotiva>he500. I'm not sure if its the amp or the he500s which provided that visceral slam. But the he560 an m2u pairing provides satisfying bass. Very deep and controlled. The textures in the bass notes makes it very addictive to listen to. At 149 I guess its perfect if you don't have space or money to blow. If I had space though, I'd probably get the emotiva again and compare it with the m2u although the emotiva has a high noise floor causing a noticeable but tolerable hiss.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #45 of 2,577
I'm fairly new to this stuff and I have a question that might sound stupid. What is the purpose of the preamp on the magni 2 uber? What does it give you that the standard amp function of the magni does not? I've been looking online for answer with no luck. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back