*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Oct 12, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #2,566 of 2,577
Alright, so i got both Magni and Modi.
Everything works fine, however i have a problem that the Modi throws out a very nasty pop when switching inputs.
Also, the entire stack is getting to like 45°, to the point where it's not pleasant to touch. Is that fine or should i put a small fan near the stack to cool it down?
Thanks

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #2,567 of 2,577
In that case, the amp should have some kind of protection for cases when you have music playing and short the contacts by inserting a plug right? I always have no music playing and volume all the way down when inserting a headphone.

I mostly leave the headphones plugged in, but when not I usually insert them as you do.

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #2,568 of 2,577
So honestly, people. If I got a Modi (already have a magni), would I really notice a difference? My source is a Mac PowerBook (2015) . I mostly listen to Beyerdynamik DT800s at my office.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #2,569 of 2,577
So honestly, people. If I got a Modi (already have a magni), would I really notice a difference? My source is a Mac PowerBook (2015) . I mostly listen to Beyerdynamik DT800s at my office.
Yes, all different audio gears make difference. But you like it or not is a different story. Schiit Dacs generally make sound more smooth, powerful, wider, clearer compared to my laptop/PC. But it is more v-shaped as well.
I think you should buy the Modi because your headphone needs an amp, so it also need a dac. 96% i think you will love the combo.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #2,570 of 2,577
Alright, so i got both Magni and Modi.
Everything works fine, however i have a problem that the Modi throws out a very nasty pop when switching inputs.
Also, the entire stack is getting to like 45°, to the point where it's not pleasant to touch. Is that fine or should i put a small fan near the stack to cool it down?
Thanks
I actually send them an email about this and I was told it's completely fine.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,571 of 2,577
I actually send them an email about this and I was told it's completely fine.

My Magni 2 Uber gets hot, like when I put my hand on top of it after some period of usage I go like whoaa!!, so it is normal. The thing even seems to warm up the small room that my setup is in. I have my Magni and Modi2U right next to each other and the Modi itself only gets very mildly warm from normal usage.

I can't really speak about hearing the Modi pop when I switch inputs as I have the optical going to my regular PC and the USB going to my mini-PC. When I switch inputs in this setup I don't hear anything.

I seem to vaguely recall when I had the Modi hooked up to my regular PC with both USB and optical that I could hear it making a sort of popping noise when switching inputs, especially if the volume was high but I guess it didn't seem remarkable at the time.

The Magni does make a popping sound after it does its delay after switching on but I know that's normal.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #2,572 of 2,577
Last summer I've sent Schiit an email about my Modi Uber 2 getting hot, and they replied it's normal to me as well.
I've paired mine with a Marantz PM6006 and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220, and I'm pretty happy with my setup.
Anyway, I have a pair of ATH-M50X which I haven't used in quite a while, and now I want to get back at listening with headphones.
So, the Marantz headphone output is not bad, although it doesn't sound as good as with speakers, and I was wondering if a Schiit Magni 3 would be an upgrade over it. Also, I won't disconnect the RCA cable from the amp to connect the Modi directly to the Magni everytime I want to switch from speakers to headphones (like everyday after a certain hour); so I would use the Tape Out on the Marantz to get to the Magni. Would it make sense?

Edit: I decided to get myself a pair of AKG K712 as I couldn't resist after reading the reviews, and I'll probably live happy with the headphone output of my integrated amp, at least for this year.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #2,573 of 2,577
I'll just drop this here...

The low gain volume was too high for me so I lowered it by reducing the two resistors to ~152Ω (added ~200Ω resistors in parallel):
dam.png

It was too loud with HD650 and my source. I guess it could be reduced even more (would benefit the insanely efficient MDR-MA900) but that might affect the amp's operation negatively, I'm not familiar with amplifier design so...Do this at your won risk

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #2,574 of 2,577

The low gain volume was too high for me so I lowered it by reducing the two resistors to ~152Ω (added ~200Ω resistors in parallel):

It was too loud with HD650 and my source. I guess it could be reduced even more (would benefit the insanely efficient MDR-MA900) but that might affect the amp's operation negatively, I'm not familiar with amplifier design so...Do this at your won risk
Since I'm bad at soldering, I took another approach to dealing with efficient headphones (Sony MDR-1A). I used the Sys between the DAC and the Magni, to attenuate the level, so I could use the Magni at a pot setting with better channel matching. Now I'm using the Lyr 2 and the Jot, so even though they have more power, I don't have to use the Sys, as the larger pot has better channel matching down to low levels.

Feb 18, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #2,575 of 2,577

Nice! This is the solution I found here, which I posted about so long ago I can't even bring it up in site search. Two pairs of these attenuators are sticking out the back of my Magni 2U, for a total of 24 dB reduction: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N41B0/

Dec 5, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #2,576 of 2,577
I am currently between head-fi setups and purchased a Metrum Onyx to re-discover good R2R NOS sound. I remembered I had a Magni 2 Uber in the cupboard and almost as a joke plugged it into the Onyx. The sound this tiny thing is capable of producing is staggering for the price point and size.

Attachments

• DEC3F388-D665-4BFD-AEF3-FB6EEC79070E.jpeg
    DEC3F388-D665-4BFD-AEF3-FB6EEC79070E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back