Official NYC spring meet 2012 impression thread
Jun 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #91 of 121
Jun 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #92 of 121
Quote:
Koss PortaPro on nspidel's Eddie Current Balancing Act = awesome.

wow, what a brilliant geekishly mismatched pair!  wish i'd gotten to hear that - musta been a blast!

first of all thanks to Tom'buttons for organizing yet another terrific meet. this one seemed particularly fine, even by the high standards of his previous events!
i was tied up earlier in the day, and then sat in LI traffic on the way there, so unfortunately i didn't get too much actual event time in. as always, it was great seeing the gang again, especially some of the folks who hadn't been to one in a while.

since there are requests for impressions (Tom, feel free to toss in some of your own!), and given the large turnout for this event impressions have been frightfully scarce, i might as well toss out a few. the hifiman ef6 and he6 combo was a special treat. i'm not a big fan of stepped volume controls but this one seemed to do the job nicely. the amp has been a long time coming and it costs a lot more than it was originally estimated to, but the combo performs at a very high level and we've all seen rigs that cost more than this that don't deliver this level of performance. i'd love to try this amp with other cans too. i bet it will do a nice job with many (ortho)dynamics this side of an iem. as many have noted, Ari's diy amp and eq'd senn hd800 rig is a particularly fine sounding one, with none of the treble excesses that can oft times tarnish hd800 systems. i got my first listen to magnums (v4s) and would like to spend some more time hearing what it has to offer, especially in comparison to their grado cousins. it did have a very open sound. mr speakers mad dog modded fostex also sounded like it's worth spending a bunch more time with than the few minutes i heard it playing via an iphone and portable o2 source/amp. it sounded pretty full range with out gross colorations. the ue personal reference monitors sounded really fine. they were tight lipped about the construction of these devices and wouldn't divulge the mix of the 5 drivers so the curious amongst you will just have to speculate for now. and one would need to spend a bunch of time in a far less distracting environment than a meet to get the knob twiddling down to the exact preferred balance as once it's locked in and made, the settings are final. it'd be nice if there was a way for the owner to electronically tweak them but that does not seem possible. beyer had a couple of new cans. the t90 or t70 at about half the price of a t1 sounded quite nice, though clearly not as refined as their flagship (it would have been surprising if that was not the case....). headamp, woo audio, and red wine all had stuff that i can only wish i had time to play with, although my previous experience with all of their goodies has left me wanting much more time with them! lots of folks brought along a wide range of cool gear, from commercial to tweaked to diy.

the post event dinner outing was a nice opportunity to catch up with old friends and shoot the audio breeze. once again kudos to Tom, and all the participants without whom it wouldn't happen, for another great event!

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #93 of 121
Sorry to be a bit late in posting impressions, but this is the first time I've logged on since the meet.

First, great job with the meet, Tom.

I gotta say, I was blown away by the difference between the KGSSHV and a Headamp KGSS. I had heard that the KGSS isn't in the same league as the HV, but until I heard it for myself I wouldn't have believed the difference could be that big. We had the KGSSs stacked on top of each other and running off the same source with dual 009s so the comparison doesn't get any better than that. I'm usually not one to put a ton of stock into meet impressions, but in this case it was like you were listening to totally different music.

The comparison with the Headamp BHSE to the KGSSHV on the other hand is the kind of comparison I'd much rather do in a quiet enviornment. I heard the BHSE as sounding slightly better, but the difference there was no where near the chasm that separated the KGSS and the HV.

I also gotta say I was pretty impressed with the LCD-3s. If I still owned a dynamic rig, I'd think about grabbing a pair of them to compliment the 009s. The two headphones sound very different, but in a good way. We had them running next to the HV using the HV's loop outs into Kerry's $69-challenge amp and I was impressed with the sound. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #94 of 121
Oh i meant to ask tmoney, what happened to the front of your buffalo?

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #95 of 121
popcorn.gif
Thats all you guys got!

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #96 of 121
Guess I will give some impressions, been meaning to but have not got around to it. I was really impressed with glowglass DIY tube amps, as well as the see electric ave tube amp right next door to it! both were wonderful with my K1000 and HP2. They are so good makes me really want to own some tubes, even though I usually like neutral ss amps but man did they make them sound so lively! Other thing that really stood out was the EF6 was expecting it to drive the K1000 well and it did since it was meant for the HE6 that demands lots of power. I really like woo's new chrome stands but they are slightly out of my budget for now since I got two stands in from them just today. I was really impressed with Woo's CD player and dac, very nice smooth sounding, great build quality and in such a compact design. I was a little let down by the 009, I really did not see that coming. It was likely that it just got to loud and I was not familar with the music playing at the time. 

Overall this was the first time after a meet I truly can say to myself I am pretty happy with what I got already, so thats a good personal plus I got from going. But still just a few more things are left on my wish list. 

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #97 of 121
Quote:
People listened to headphones? Must be meet newbies.
wink_face.gif

I need to become a meet newbie again,there was some great gear I would have liked to listen to at the meet.
Quote:
Some more...

Koss Portapro sound pretty good off of the balancing act, apparently. 

I need to breakout my BA from its box & give this combo a listen
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #98 of 121
I dunno Tom, with all the electrostats at the meet, I'm surprised you haven't changed your mind about them, just a little!   Speaking of the BA, I'm eagerly watching for the Electra ....

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #101 of 121
Quote:
I dunno Tom, with all the electrostats at the meet, I'm surprised you haven't changed your mind about them, just a little!   Speaking of the BA, I'm eagerly watching for the Electra ....

I lean towards Dynamic phones,Maybe one day I will pick up aSR009 to go with my O2Mk1

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #104 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I own a Singlepower ES1
 ​
 ​
Quote:
but then, what amp will you use?

sorry to hear that. i send my condolences. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

perhaps Spritzer can help you out and keep you safe from it. 
eek.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #105 of 121
sorry to hear that. i send my condolences.  :veryevil:
perhaps Spritzer can help you out and keep you safe from it.  :eek: :p :wink:

It's been gone over & modified to use 6sl7s by one of our own Diyer::wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back