Official NYC spring meet 2012 impression thread
Jun 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #61 of 121
Quote:
On the other hand, I was VERY impressed by the Mad Dog headphones by MrSpeakers (modified Fostex T50-RP).  For the price ($300), I thought they were a truly phenomenal headphone.  When compared back-to-back with the Thunderpants, I found them to be much more even-keel and neutral across the spectrum, while still remaining quite detailed and clear for a closed-back headphone.  The Thunderpants headphones, by contrast, struck me as being much more of a basshead headphone, curiously enough, which I wasn't expecting at all.  Dan Clark (Mr. Speakers) was also very generous with his time in explaining the measurements he took as far as trying to improve resolution and soundstaging as compared to the stock T50-RP.  He is an electrical engineer that has worked in audio for quite some time, and he obviously knows his stuff.  The headphones should probably be used with an amp to sound their best, though, even though they have a very low 50ohm impedance rating, and could potentially be driven directly off an i-pod.

I cannot express how much I agree with this. I set up my stuff on the next table over from Dan, and as such was talking to him and was one of the first people who sat down and listened to his headphones. He practically forced them on me. And I was floored when he told me the price to the point of speechlessness. All I could say was "that is a very good price." He really nailed it for his price point. I spent a considerable amount of time talking to him in the beginning of the show about various things. He is a great guy and knows his stuff. He was always ready to explain everything. I actually spent more time talking to him in the first hour than I did listening to gear. I don't regret it at all. They may very well be my next "Portable" pair when I get my O2 built. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #62 of 121
Quote:
On the other hand, I was VERY impressed by the Mad Dog headphones by MrSpeakers (modified Fostex T50-RP).  For the price ($300), I thought they were a truly phenomenal headphone...He is an electrical engineer that has worked in audio for quite some time, and he obviously knows his stuff.  The headphones should probably be used with an amp to sound their best, though, even though they have a very low 50ohm impedance rating, and could potentially be driven directly off an i-pod.

Anyway, just thought I'd give him a little plug since I was quite impressed by that particular headset, and I haven't seen them discussed on the forums as of yet.

Here ya go! :

Thanks to Tom for a superbly organized meet. You got us going (along with HighwayStar Ken) 10+ years ago, and well…from whence it came, you still got the touch!

It was great seeing everyone again. Especially, well…everybody!!!
beyersmile.png
 I didn't listen to sh-t, except for the Ari sneaking me in on the Fostex's amped. I missed everyone so much, there wasn't enough time in a day (or an evening at the diner) to catch up with all my "buds".
Hope to see everyone in the Fall.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #63 of 121
Mr speakers is still offering a show special on the mad dog headphones for $270.00 TILL JUNE 8,PUT IN CODE NYMEET20  if you are interested in them.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #64 of 121
Quote:
Mr speakers is still offering a show special on the mad dog headphones for $270.00 TILL JUNE 8,PUT IN CODE NYMEET20  if you are interested in them.

Both Mr Speakers and Mike from UE are trying to entice me... the only issue is that I'm without a stable source of income to blow on headphones at the time... So they shall have to wait... 

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #65 of 121
Quote:
Well, to add to my previous impressions, I must say I was actually rather surprised at the popularity of the Audeze LCD2 and 3 models.  Sure, they both sound phenomenal, and you'll get no argument from me there, but considering the weight and clamping force of these headphones, I personally would much rather own either the Sennheiser HD800s or the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1s, both of which are extremely comfortable, and don't sacrifice much in the way of sound quality when compared to the LCD2 and 3s (at least, in my opinion). 

On the other hand, I was VERY impressed by the Mad Dog headphones by MrSpeakers (modified Fostex T50-RP).  For the price ($300), I thought they were a truly phenomenal headphone.  When compared back-to-back with the Thunderpants, I found them to be much more even-keel and neutral across the spectrum, while still remaining quite detailed and clear for a closed-back headphone.  The Thunderpants headphones, by contrast, struck me as being much more of a basshead headphone, curiously enough, which I wasn't expecting at all.  Dan Clark (Mr. Speakers) was also very generous with his time in explaining the measurements he took as far as trying to improve resolution and soundstaging as compared to the stock T50-RP.  He is an electrical engineer that has worked in audio for quite some time, and he obviously knows his stuff.  The headphones should probably be used with an amp to sound their best, though, even though they have a very low 50ohm impedance rating, and could potentially be driven directly off an i-pod.

Anyway, just thought I'd give him a little plug since I was quite impressed by that particular headset, and I haven't seen them discussed on the forums as of yet.

Interesting.  I was talking to Marty (cat6man) about this and when I looked at the size of his noggin I could tell he would have issues with them comfort wise.
I can see how the Audeze are attractive to most folks but for LP and DHT tube addicts, they are particularly right up that alley.  HD800 just does not have that body, tone, and ease.

Speaking of very nice body, tone, and ease...  I posted earlier I had a little regret in not comparing the Mad Dog's to the LCD-2's on my amp.  Did you, or anyone, make the side-to-side comparison?  Impressions? (or should this be a different thread?)

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #66 of 121

Quote:
Well, to add to my previous impressions, I must say I was actually rather surprised at the popularity of the Audeze LCD2 and 3 models.  Sure, they both sound phenomenal, and you'll get no argument from me there, but considering the weight and clamping force of these headphones, I personally would much rather own either the Sennheiser HD800s or the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1s, both of which are extremely comfortable, and don't sacrifice much in the way of sound quality when compared to the LCD2 and 3s (at least, in my opinion). 

Completely agree with your impressions. I tried them with Cowon A3 player and almost was ready to buy them but after trying T70p changed my mind cause T70p gave me tighter punchier bass

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #67 of 121
Quote:

Okay, I couldn't resist. I ordered a pair with the coupon. With shipping, that saves over $40. 15 day trial period to boot. I agree with the Thunderpants assessment, so I had to give'em a go.

Hope to see you guys possibly in the Fall

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #68 of 121
Quote:
Okay, I couldn't resist. I ordered a pair with the coupon. With shipping, that saves over $40. 15 day trial period to boot. I agree with the Thunderpants assessment, so I had to give'em a go.

Hope to see you guys possibly in the Fall

I had a great time at the meet, and appreciate the hospitality of the group, and the kind words.  Thanks!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 7, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #69 of 121
The Thunderpants are definitely an acquired taste. In fact I'd say most people who tried mine at the meet didn't really like what they were hearing or they thought they were ok. Some music they work perfectly, other music the bass overtakes the rest of the music. I'm in the camp that prefers them to the Mad Dog mod. I liked the way the Mad Dog sounded, but was still yearning for a little bit more bass.  That was my take away at least.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #71 of 121
So you ever make that decision about which headphone setup you wanted? I'm interested to know what you decide. It was fun meeting you and when you finish getting whatever you decide on I would love to meet up and take a listen, and I'd bring some of my gear too.
Quote:

Completely agree with your impressions. I tried them with Cowon A3 player and almost was ready to buy them but after trying T70p changed my mind cause T70p gave me tighter punchier bass

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #72 of 121
Quote:
So you ever make that decision about which headphone setup you wanted? I'm interested to know what you decide. It was fun meeting you and when you finish getting whatever you decide on I would love to meet up and take a listen, and I'd bring some of my gear too.

Whoa, how did you get a scroll bar on the quote box?

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #74 of 121
Sorry I missed this meet.  First one in a long time.  It was totally off my radar.  I haven't been listening to headphones much lately and have actually sold off a lot of my stuff.  I'm spending more time with my guitars making music rather than listening to it these days.  I'm sure I'll get back into headphones big time again, so I'm keeping my eyes on you guys.

Looks like a phenomenal meet, as always.  Great job by Tom!  I saw some familiar faces in the pics and seems like there are some new members participating, which is great!  Always need some new blood.  But sorry I wasn't able to catch up with some of my old Head-Fi friends.

Not sure when the next meet will be but I'll hopefully make that one.  Looking forward to more pics and impressions, if you guys have anything left in the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back