Official March 21st NYC Meet Thread
Mar 22, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #46 of 177
Looks like a great meet and thanks for making my wait for the BHSE even harder...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am most curious about the Current Domain electrostatic amp, but, please, whoever built
P1010215.jpg
, PLEASE share where you sourced the tranny covers.

See here Al.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #47 of 177
Nikongod's Custom Creation - one of my favorite listens of the meet
110479609.jpg

Setting up the BHSE - pictures fail to do this amp justice
110479611.jpg

Someone brought this budget rig, it sounded ok...
110479612.jpg

Nice crown.
110479613.jpg

Nice looking Little Dot MKIV
110479614.jpg

VPI's mighty balanced M3 - sounded every bit as good as I remembered.
110479617.jpg

vcoheda's B52
110479618.jpg

and his KGSS, wish I'd been able to give this a listen.
110479619.jpg

Ari's Melos stack, Grado fans rejoice!
110479620.jpg

Team Source First - Northstar DAC w/ balanced mini3 and Millett Starving Student
110479622.jpg

VPI's gorgeous (sounding and looking) RTR rig
110479626.jpg

New Woo on the block - I spoke with Jack at length about this product and I think the production version should be a big hit.
110479628.jpg

That's it for pics for me, detailed impressions of the few rigs that I listened to. I spent a lot of time catching up with old friends and making new ones. As always the NYC crew put on a heck of a show. And poor spritzer, if only he knew...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #51 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am most curious about the Current Domain electrostatic amp, but, please, whoever built (pic), PLEASE share where you sourced the tranny covers.

Hi- those are 35mm film developing tanks. I can feel your frustration! Looked high and low for a few months trying to find something suitable.

Great meet; it was good to see some old faces, and plenty of new faces, too. No shortage of outstanding gear, either.

Thanks to Nate for the sharing the ride, I really appreciate that.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #52 of 177
So much great looking/sounding rigs. V-chiles work of art was the fit and finish show stopper. And was only trumped by it's sound. I enjoyed more time with this amp than any other.
icon10.gif
Put me on the list for one when you put them into production.
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #53 of 177
Wow, so many nice photos up. I'm dying to get mine up but I'll be busy all day. Great meet, didn't hear enough stuff, but will post some impressions later.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone who wasn't there followed the Tweets on the forum pages. Was that interesting, easy to ignore, left something to be desired, would have been better if someone else sent messages, what? I'd like to get some feedback on that to see if it's something we should do in the future. I was thinking people could have messaged me with specific questions.

Anyway...Thanks Aaron. Great meet! Awesome seeing everyone and making new friends.

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #54 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, so many nice photos up. I'm dying to get mine up but I'll be busy all day. Great meet, didn't hear enough stuff, but will post some impressions later.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone who wasn't there followed the Tweets on the forum pages. Was that interesting, easy to ignore, left something to be desired, would have been better if someone else sent messages, what? I'd like to get some feedback on that to see if it's something we should do in the future. I was thinking people could have messaged me with specific questions.

Anyway...Thanks Aaron. Great meet! Awesome seeing everyone and making new friends.

I followed the tweets. wouldnt have known about the meet otherwise. I thought it was pretty interesting. I wish you could have gone into a bit more detail about things you were checking out. but i am sure you had a lot going on.

Its great to see all the pics from the meet. everything looks so cool!

I need to get to one of these events some time soon. Wish I could go to Can Jam but i cant afford it this year
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #55 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I followed the tweets. wouldnt have known about the meet otherwise. I thought it was pretty interesting. I wish you could have gone into a bit more detail about things you were checking out. but i am sure you had a lot going on.

I'm glad someone found it somewhat useful. Microjournalism is definitely a skill I need to work on. It was a balancing act between trying to listen, interact with other people, take photos and try to convey some kind of flavor of the meet. It will take some practice. Hopefully Jude will let me do it at the next meet.

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #56 of 177
Few more thoughts as I put things away. Jack (jc1600cc) was a pleasure to meet and get to know. His Jenalabs Cryo Cabled HD600's put my Cardas wired 600's to shame, guess what I want now.
tongue_smile.gif
Ari is a busy boy with all his creations. I of course want to thank him for the use of hid phonostage, Cage Match amp and shorty phono cables. My meager travel TT sounded super with his stuff.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #57 of 177
looks like another amazing NY meet... hopefully timing for the next one will be better and I'll be able to come

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #58 of 177
Thanks for having me at the Meet, guys; I'm not sure what is was, but I didn't quite feel like myself all day, though.
wink.gif

Seriously, thanks for the laugh, guys. I really wanted to be there, and waited until as late as early Friday to make my final determination, but it just didn't pan out with work (which I'm still doing now). My wife's family also had a birthday dinner for her last night, and it was nice to be able to make that, too. (It was a dinner I wasn't expected to attend, because they thought I'd be with you guys instead.)

I did get to live vicariously through some pre-Meet instant-messaging with Drew (Baird), as he fought flight delays (and eventual flight cancellation) to finally make it there from North Carolina. I also loved reading Erik's "Tweets from the Meet" from my BlackBerry everywhere I went yesterday, which brings me to....
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....Hopefully Jude will let me do it [Tweet from the Meet] at the next meet.

....to which I say absolutely.

You NY Head-Fi'ers are a unique bunch--some of the nicest Head-Fi'ers I know are in the NYC--and I really wish I was actually in those photos with y'all.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #59 of 177
As always too much gear, too little time.

splitting to 2 rooms was a significant improvement over the past couple NYC meets, here is a pre-emptive vote for doing it again this way. much more room and much less noise.

Setting up Neil's TT took less time than I thought it would, and I think I even got it right on the first try!

Starting off with the Woo-22, sounded VERY good with the K701. Very good detail, clarity and "depth". I also listened to the 6 SE for the first time: it had a great sound.

Voodoochille and his amp (the one with the silver top plate, and film tank transformer pots) WOWOWOWOWOWWWW!!!!!!111 That about covers it. For a long time I have held the RA-1 as the reference to judge an amp for the RS-1 and it has been solidly surpassed. This amp just latched up with them and took me along. Very very good presentation. The bass impact was outstanding, clarity and detail were both wonderful.

Nates menace was well, mennacing. The control and detail were both outstanding. I kind of got distracted by the BH.

The the big bad blue hawaii was OUTSTANDING!!!! I played my Gamma Pro's with some CD that was there (Goldfrap "Supernature") and this amp just took me for a wild ride! great. I was amazed by the systems ability to hold "PRAT" and energy SOOOOO well, but what REALLY caught my ear by surprise (twice) was the ability to throw the voice OUT of the headphones. Most of the music was well contained in my head, like it always is, but a couple times I wondered how they put her in the corner of the room. She was WAY out of my head.

I had a great time after the meet at the diner, and it was fun showing off my new portable amp there
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #60 of 177
very fun meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

loads of quality gear there. maybe the most i can remember from a meet. unfortunately, i didn't listen to as much as i wanted to. my bad. will post what few impressions i have later today. have to be off now.

thanks to everyone who came, especially those who travelled long distances. real troopers. and thanks to the vendors for showing their support and to everyone who donated items to the silent auction to help pay for the room. and of course a big shout out to aaron who did a great job putting this meet together. without the meets and other get togethers, head-fi would not be what it is. they really go hand in hand with the boards.

dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back