Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,806 of 3,817
What, exactly do you think is happinging with this "break in" of your HEK's (what exactly does burn-in with headphones mean?)? I mean, the only moving part is a diaphragm that practically weighs less than air. Nothing else electrical needs to "burn in" that can affect the SQ. 

Can someone enlighten me on this? I'm not trolling nor looking for another endless argument on the merits of headphone break-in, but I truly just want to understand what is actually, physically happening other than your brain getting used to the sound over time.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #2,808 of 3,817
My V2 pads aren't that radically different in size. It's hard to see clearly, as neither are perfectly even. I'd actually say that, accounting for everything, they V2 pads are only slightly bigger. I'd consider cutting out a piece of foam to fit over the green ring and block off the entire gap between it and the outer-most black ring before anything. If you got the right kind of acoustic foam you'd probably get a bit more bass as a result too.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #2,809 of 3,817
  My V2 pads aren't that radically different in size. It's hard to see clearly, as neither are perfectly even. I'd actually say that, accounting for everything, they V2 pads are only slightly bigger. I'd consider cutting out a piece of foam to fit over the green ring and block off the entire gap between it and the outer-most black ring before anything. If you got the right kind of acoustic foam you'd probably get a bit more bass as a result too.

Your instructions are less than entirely clear, at least to me.  Could you elaborate about the rings and foam and method for precise cutting, etc.???

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #2,810 of 3,817
We're talking about mods to the pads for the v2 now, correct?

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #2,811 of 3,817
Mods to the V1 headphones to effect similar changes to what were made structurally to the V2.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #2,813 of 3,817
I can't say I hear any big difference after now about 100 hours of music going. I think the V2 is more brighter then the v1, are they supposed to be like that?

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #2,814 of 3,817

The difference in pad size certainly seems minuscule. Some foam at the thick side on the v1 may be almost the same as the v2 pads. The difference in cup thickness looks more noticeable, in your pictures.    

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #2,815 of 3,817
If he turned the pads the other way to the back side, there is the difference. Not in the front.

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #2,816 of 3,817
  What, exactly do you think is happinging with this "break in" of your HEK's (what exactly does burn-in with headphones mean?)? I mean, the only moving part is a diaphragm that practically weighs less than air. Nothing else electrical needs to "burn in" that can affect the SQ. 

Can someone enlighten me on this? I'm not trolling nor looking for another endless argument on the merits of headphone break-in, but I truly just want to understand what is actually, physically happening other than your brain getting used to the sound over time.

This is a really good question.  I think something physical is happening and that it changes the sound, but that brain adaptation also plays a major role. 
I do believe that something physical/structural is definitely happening during "break-in" and "burn-in" for audio products.  I don't know what those changes are at the molecular level or even at the microscopic level.  Most of us would agree that the perception of the magnitude of the resulting sonic changes is something that varies WIDELY among audiophiles; many audiophiles think real changes don't occur at all.  Although I don't know the answer, I do believe that break-in and burn-in occur, and that this does result in audible sonic changes.  I suspect, however, that the magnitude of such sonic changes is often overstated by enthusiastic audiophiles.  But-again-I don't know.  Furthermore, I am almost certain that brain adaptation plays a major role in the perception of sonic change.  I'm not at all convinced, however, that such psychoacoustic adaptation is entirely responsible for this perception of changing sound.  I think the sound itself actually changes.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #2,818 of 3,817
Lolz ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back