Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #1,966 of 3,817
I catch the, (cough), subtle sarcasm...I never said the ZOTL is the best amp in the world, just the best I have handy to audition (which are all in the $500-1000 range, with the exception of the Airist, which I had as part of a tour). Didn't actually get to compare the ZOTL and the Mac, would be instructive at some point (when I get another $4k to plunk down on gear
smily_headphones1.gif
).

No worries! That "sarcasm" was meant for me. You see, until I read your post, I had concluded that  the Hek + Zotl2 combo would be my own personal endgame target. However, with your comments about the fabulousness of the the Hek + MHA100, it struck me that the endgame scenario may have suddenly receded several steps into the distance, further away from the reach of my wallet! Isn't it amazing how the goal of "ultimate audio nirvana" can be so elusive in this wonderful hobby of ours? 

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,967 of 3,817
  No worries! That "sarcasm" was meant for me. You see, until I read your post, I had concluded that  the Hek + Zotl2 combo would be my own personal endgame target. However, with your comments about the fabulousness of the the Hek + MHA100, it struck me that the endgame scenario may have suddenly receded several steps into the distance, further away from the reach of my wallet! Isn't it amazing how the goal of "ultimate audio nirvana" can be so elusive in this wonderful hobby of ours? 

i had exactly the same doubt ...we will wait for dr.Jazz impressions...
atsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,968 of 3,817
I catch the, (cough), subtle sarcasm...I never said the ZOTL is the best amp in the world, just the best I have handy to audition (which are all in the $500-1000 range, with the exception of the Airist, which I had as part of a tour). Didn't actually get to compare the ZOTL and the Mac, would be instructive at some point (when I get another $4k to plunk down on gear :) ).

Well, I honestly wouldn't attempt to compare the ZOTL and the Mac based on the small audition I had. The source was different (Sonos/iPad, not sure what DAC), and my sonic memory is not great for these kind of evaluations. I really WOULD love to do a head to head comparison. I really am extremely happy with the ZOTL/ HEK combo, and have no plans to change amps. No gear is perfect; all gear is "voiced" to get a particular sound. At a certain level, it becomes more of an issue of taste, of a voicing that appeals to you. I don't think you'll get much more detail space, stage, etc, than the ZOTL. I do hear, in the 2 amps I've heard that were significantly more expensive, the Airist (about 2k) and the Mac, a relaxed, holistic presentation. Maybe because they are specced at higher power? In the case of the Airist, I thought the ZOTL STILL bested it in detail, air, snap, PRAT, etc, though it did have a nice, cozy, warm blanket appeal (the Airist, that is). In the case of the Mac, there was also that tube-like warmth and effortless sense (it is solid state). Couldn't tell you how detail and other audiophile checklist stuff compares to the ZOTL from the quick listen I had, just posted impulsively as I was enjoying listening to Fountains of Wayne on it at the time. Sorry if I confused you. Hey, it's a never ending game if you play it that way. In a few years, there could be a ZOTL3. And there are 10k amps out there as well; I'm guessing at some point there will be a $50k headphone amp (happened with high end speaker components). To quote a very wise Talmudic text: who is the rich man? The one who is happy with what he's got. :)
(more wisdom to cone after I have my next fortune cookie!)

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #1,970 of 3,817
Best I've heard...

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,971 of 3,817
Well, I honestly wouldn't attempt to compare the ZOTL and the Mac based on the small audition I had. The source was different (Sonos/iPad, not sure what DAC)

I know that setup well. I bought both my McIntosh MHA100 and HE1000 from Allen at Stereo Exchange. The DAC used is the one buit-in to the MHA100.

Ps... That 'tube like' presentation is thanx to the output autoformers. Connect up the HE1000 to the speaker taps and it's a noticibaly different presentation. Not different bad. More like the finesse is replaced with a guttural extreme of power and control.

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #1,972 of 3,817
Have had my He1000's for about a month now and all I can say is Wow!
I did this review for another music forum I subscribe to so a lot of what I say will be preaching to the converted, I realise that but it may help some who are dithering and havnt yet committed to buying a pair? The guys and girls on that forum are not into their Headphones half as much as I am so they needed educating!
Anyway here goes with my thoughts and impressions..... and also some thoughts on the amp I have now paired the HE1000's with...the Violectric V281.....having previously been a Taurus MK2 user.

Hifiman's new flagship headphone, the HE1000 is quite stupendous in all aspects of performance. Not only have they made my Audeze LCD-X's obsolete and gathering dust they leave the likes of Sennheisers flagship the HD800 trailing way behind too. In a nutshell they have the best attributes of the Audeze LCD range like bass, depth and musicality and combine that with the clarity and soundstaging abilities of the HD800's. A winning and potent combination in my view! The perfect headphone? You bet they are!!
A lot of reviews I have read say they are even better than Stax SR-009 Electrostatic Earspeakers having a more potent bass reproduction. If you combine the cost of the energiser /amp you need to buy to drive the Stax headphones then the HE 1000 and Violectric amp combination appears to be a bit of a bargain!

The Hifiman HE1000 are a Planar Magnetic over the ear open backed headphone that employs technology featuring newly designed oblong drivers sporting an incredibly thin diaphragm and a two sided magnet structure utilising nanotechnologies in the development of the new drivers and, in particular, the diaphragm material which is specified as being “nanometer grade” in thickness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzyDw9o0pzQ

This technology and its implementation into the HE1000 equates to what sounds to my ears to be the nearest yet I have come to listening to a top quality hi end pair of speakers from a set of headphones.
And I can definately speak from experience here having owned a lot of esoteric high end headphones, past and present, like the Sennheiser HD800's, HD600's, HD650's and the Audeze LCD-X, Denon D7000 and D7001 and the Fostex TH900's. Believe me when I say the HE1000's have raised the bar so high they have taken headphone listening to a whole new level of magnificence!!
They are not that difficult to drive but really come alive when driven by a powerful headphone amplifier like the Violectric.
Looks wise they are just stunning.....not a hint of plastic anywhere here......They are constructed of all metal, leather and wood and their appearance and build quality really adds to their premium flagship status I must say. They look simply amazing and they are really comfortable to wear for long hours on your ears.
As I alluded to previously, listening to them is akin to listening to a pair of high end speakers. Highs sound really airy and fast, with tons of detail and no grating edge. Mids and vocals are reproduced with a lush quality that doesn't mask any of the finer details of a performance. Listening to vocalists, male or female, is highly addictive and unlike some headphones which come to life with certain types of music but not others, the HE1000's sound just as good with classical, Rock, Pop, acoustic, Jazz, electronic and Choral genres of music. Bass notes are reproduced with real authority and impact while not getting bloated or overly heavy as well. I have never heard a headphone that produces such amazing sub bass as these either. They thump two previous headphones I have owned that were considered to be the kings of Bass reproduction...namely the closed backed Fostex TH900's and also my old Denon D7000's both of which sound decidedly 'Tubby' by comparison.
I would say they are the new benchmark by which all other headphones will be judged and the fact that only the top Stax models can hold a candle to them means that the others have some catching up to do!
The Violectric V281 amp is a solid state ball of muscle and sinew and will drive any headphone to its maximum without breaking into a sweat.
Handbuilt in Germany by 'Lake People' electronics, the Violectric brand is their high end arm of the business. The designer is a very affable German guy called Fried Reim and with the new V281 he has basically taken two of the companies previous top model headphone amps,the V200, and piggybacked them together into one box so you have double the power. Its more complicated and there is far more to it than that but that is the essence of where the V281 gets its enormous power from.
The most noticeable thing when you first listen to the V281 is the totally silent background between notes. Not a hint of noise or background hiss even with power hungry little low impedance earphones or high impedance flagship headphones. There are 4 gain settings, ...more and less power... available to accommodate any impedances in any given headphone.
To take maximum advantage of the amplifiers power available you should run your headphones in balanced mode with a balanced cable...as opposed to a single ended termination one.
By doing this you utilise the full power and majesty of this superb amplifier. With regard to comparison with my previous headphone amp, the Auralic Taurus, the Violectric is simply effortless in its ability to reproduce music and drive the HE1000's. The Taurus could sometimes get a bit flustered and sound a bit muddled in complicated passages of music and could also be a bit shrill and bright in the treble as well. The violectric just sits there with a straight bat and hits everything you throw at it back at you with a tremendous power. The Taurus is an excellent amp by any standards but when directly compared to the Violectric it just comes up a little short and I personally believe that of the two ,having lived with them both, the Violectric is the better suited to extract the very best from the HE1000's. There is just something about the effortless authority of the Violectric that does it for me.
Now paired with my Auralic Vega processer Dac (which is a keep forever bit of kit by the way....its that good!!) the combination of that and the V281 working together to drive the HE1000's is mind blowing and a wonderfully rewarding experience!

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #1,974 of 3,817
  Great contribution.

On a side note: your avatar reminds me of the Jackal from the movie '13 ghosts'.

Thanks for your comment.
Regarding the Avatar...I see what you are getting at......but they are my two sons playing about when they were little.
The photo has always amused me for some reason. Probably because its ridiculous!

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,975 of 3,817
Since I already love my HE1000, I am among those for which you predicted your review would be like "preaching to the choir." I especially appreciate the pictures... They were clearly taken with love!

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #1,976 of 3,817
First post here and wanted to say thanks to Gray for the great review.  I have a Violectric V281 scheduled for delivery today, just in time for my birthday tomorrow!  I will pair it with my HE1000's and I'm amped (pun intended) to hear how it sounds.   Currently running a Project Polaris amp with my HE560s.  The Polaris drives the HE1000s without a problem but I hope to hear a noticeable difference between a budget amp and a TOTL amp.  Cheers!

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,977 of 3,817
  First post here and wanted to say thanks to Gray for the great review.  I have a Violectric V281 scheduled for delivery today, just in time for my birthday tomorrow!  I will pair it with my HE1000's and I'm amped (pun intended) to hear how it sounds.   Currently running a Project Polaris amp with my HE560s.  The Polaris drives the HE1000s without a problem but I hope to hear a noticeable difference between a budget amp and a TOTL amp.  Cheers!

Your welcome!
Whereas the HE1000 are actually quite easy to drive ...compared to say the HE-6...they undoubtedly benefit from some exotic watts and some real muscle.
I can more or less guarantee you will notice quite significant improvements in the sound quality once you pair the HE1000's with the Violectric....particularly when using it in balanced mode.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #1,979 of 3,817
Hifiman's new flagship headphone, the HE1000 is quite stupendous in all aspects of performance. Not only have they made my Audeze LCD-X's obsolete and gathering dust they leave the likes of Sennheisers flagship the HD800 trailing way behind too. In a nutshell they have the best attributes of the Audeze LCD range like bass, depth and musicality and combine that with the clarity and soundstaging abilities of the HD800's. A winning and potent combination in my view! The perfect headphone? You bet they are!!

Hi Gray,

great contribution! I have exactly the same audio gear: Auralic Vega, Violectric V281 and Hifiman HE-1000. It is a great combination also in my opinion. Before I had the LCD-3(F) with Auralic Tauraus MKII, which I really liked together. But the HE-1000 with the V281 is another league!

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,980 of 3,817

Hi Gray,

great contribution! I have exactly the same audio gear: Auralic Vega, Violectric V281 and Hifiman HE-1000. It is a great combination also in my opinion. Before I had the LCD-3(F) with Auralic Tauraus MKII, which I really liked together. But the HE-1000 with the V281 is another league!

Thanks for your comments.
Great minds think alike, as they say!
I thought my LCD-X's were real keepers until I listened to the HE1000's partnering the Vega and the Violectric V281. Like you say...different ball park.
I am a huge fan of Audeze headphones...but dare I say it....they sound a bit two dimensional and boxed in having now heard the HE1000's.
Tyll from InnerFidelity reckons even the new Audeze flagship, the LCD-4's are nowhere near as good as the HE1000's either.
Just out of interest, seeing as you have the same rig, what pre gain settings, if any ,have you got the V281 set at?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back