Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
Sep 17, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #571 of 727

Quote:
If you're considering Sparrow for the MS2s, just be aware that your headphones are already very easily driven. Depending what you're using it for, there might be no noticeable benefit as they're high in efficiency and low impedance.  I have the MS1s and they show no noticable benefits with the Sparrow, only my low sensitivity AKG K240 and high ohm DT990s show improvement.

I believe the JH13s are also very easily driven, but I note a substantial improvement between the sparrow and by computer or iphone's direct output, as well as my T3.

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #572 of 727
Quote:
I decided to go with the A version. $258 shipped from Pacific Valve. According to the email I got from Kingwa the basic with the Woolfson shipped is $209 and the A version is $276 shipped including pay pal fee. Other than being $20 dollars cheaper Pacific Valve also offers 30 day return policy. Kingwa might also I dont know. But if the unit needs repairs I can also have those done by Pacific Valve. Hopefully the latter wont be necessary.

Ultimately I suppose the only way any of us can tell whether or not this stuff sounds good is to get it, plug it in, and hear what it sound like for ourselves. So I'll post some impressions when I get it.

This does not make sense- Pacific Valve has a mark-up on all AGD gear- there must be a communication problem vs what you ordered and what Kingwa quoted. I bet Pacific has the 8740 vs Kingwa using the new 8741 chip now (more expensive)- has to be this.

Edit: My Ref-8 is $1610 vs $1725 at PV

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #573 of 727

Quote:
Quote:
This does not make sense- Pacific Valve has a mark-up on all AGD gear- there must be a communication problem vs what you ordered and what Kingwa quoted. I bet Pacific has the 8740 vs Kingwa using the new 8741 chip now (more expensive)- has to be this.

That sounded strange to me as well.

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #574 of 727

Quote:
Quote:

Now you have me wondering. Their site says they had basics with the 8740 but they were out of stock. Had some new ones coming with the 1852 at the $183 price which would be same as Kingwa. I thought I understood that I was ordering an A with the 8741. I'm going to double check this. The more I think about it the 1852 may make more sense anyway if Kingwa has tuned both the ad chip and the Woolfson chip (8741) to be neutral. I read in another thread that the sound presented by both chips was very similar and that it was hard for most people to tell the difference. I'm also going to send Kingwa another email and get a quote on the Fun

EDIT:
Spoke with Pacific Valve confirmed the $258 price was for the Sparrow with the 8741. Changed my order anyway to a basic with the ad 1852 for $183. After reading the through the Audio GD site again and a couple of other threads on here I started thinking there was not going to be enough difference to justify the $75 premium for me anyway. The basic does support the higher bit rate just not with the USB which I will just have to work around if I ever need to.

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #575 of 727
When I tried the different chips with the Fun originally, there wasn't much in it.  I was also using headphones far better than most people would use with this kind of gear.  The main thing is, a couple of people found the predecessor to the Fun and Sparrow, the Compass, a little harsh, so anything that lowers the distortion I reckon is a good thing. In this case, it's the ACSS, better USB implementation and better DAC.  Beyond that, the critical thing will be the power supply, which would be addressed by buying better gear.

I finally got around to ordering a couple of 8741 modules so I can have a play.

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #577 of 727
Mine arrived very quickly to Brazil, but i got taxed, lol. I'm going to get it tomorrow, then i will post my impressions against my realtek onboard soundcard. I'm very curious to see the results.

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #578 of 727

Quote:
When I tried the different chips with the Fun originally, there wasn't much in it.  I was also using headphones far better than most people would use with this kind of gear.  The main thing is, a couple of people found the predecessor to the Fun and Sparrow, the Compass, a little harsh, so anything that lowers the distortion I reckon is a good thing. In this case, it's the ACSS, better USB implementation and better DAC.  Beyond that, the critical thing will be the power supply, which would be addressed by buying better gear.

I finally got around to ordering a couple of 8741 modules so I can have a play.

I saw that Audio-gd has handmade power supply cord for sale on their website. Will that be considered as a power supply ungrade and improve the SQ?

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #579 of 727
Quote:
Could some kind of external regulator help with the power supply?

Are you referring to power conditioners/power filters?

If so, power conditioners can reduce the AC noise before it enters the psu and gets filtered there. It's not really something I would say is essential for the sparrow though, especially considering they usually cost ~1/2 or more of the price of the sparrow. If you are considering something like the audio-gd power filter, a good amount of the cost goes into the ten copper outlets, not what I would call good price/performance to get if you only have a $250 dac/amp. But if you are connecting a whole home theater system or something, then I would say such a power filter is worth it.

Quote:
I saw that Audio-gd has handmade power supply cord for sale on their website. Will that be considered as a power supply ungrade and improve the SQ?

Most people would not view upgrading power cables as a way to improve the psu. It may improve sound quality versus stock 6 ft 18 awg power cable however. My personal opinion is to just get a friend who can solder to make 10-14 awg 3 ft power cables for you. The audio-gd power cables are quite massive, overkill for the sparrow
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #580 of 727
Well I got my WM8741 module. I won't know until a long listening session, but for now it seems to have smoothed over the brightness of my DT 990s a bit, definitely noticeable in a certain part of "Twisted Coil" by "Guilt Machine". Some parts of it were too bright and left me reaching for the volume knob, but now I don't feel the need. Most importantly it solved my curiosity.

Anyways, here's how it looks installed in the Sparrow for anyone curious. It was easy to solder, I simply removed both modules and soldered on my desk instead of trying to squeeze my crappy iron and unsteady hand in there.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #582 of 727

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, um, not sure what you mean.  Our prices should be identical to your door (unless you are in CAN, AK, PR, HI etc).  Please email me if the prices do not agree with the AGD website - I could use the help.

AGD REF 8, non USB is $1610 + $119 shipping  = $1729.   I believe our price shipped to your door is, as you correctly pointed out, $1725.

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #583 of 727

Quote:

A number of us felt a bit of improvement using the power cords, but the power filter board with 10 outlets costs only a bit more, so is far better value if you have or plan to buy audio gear in the future.

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #585 of 727

Quote:

A number of us felt a bit of improvement using the power cords, but the power filter board with 10 outlets costs only a bit more, so is far better value if you have or plan to buy audio gear in the future.

what low-budget power filter would you advice?

PS: for some reason audio-gd's site doesn't say anything about their filter's cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back