Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
May 12, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #77 of 727

Quote:
You guys think the amp of sparrow will be enough for a 600 ohms Beyer?

It is as powerful as the Fun.

The specs for the Sparrow say 150mw for 600 ohms (~10 Volts).  Should power them fine.

May 12, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #78 of 727
I just received my Sparrow today. It shipped Friday via EMS.  Wednesday is usually when I get things from KW.  It is the perfect size for a small footprint DAC/AMP combo of good quality.  I'm letting it run a little presently.  Sounds a little thick sounding at present.  Very nicely built.  I have the USB version A.  I wanted it to use out of my Laptop on an over bed Table.  MyLaptop has Optical out, so that will work great.

So I only have fairly low impedance canz now.  I listen loud.  I was at 12:00 with Denon D5000s, and at about 1:00 with Beyer 770-80 Pros for a reference point.  Don't know if it would handle 600 ohm Beyers, but from my initial impressions, I would say more gain might be called for with the 600 ohm canz.  

May 12, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #82 of 727
Ok just received my Sparrow Version A with the USB, DIR9001 and DA8740 Wolfson upgrade.  Just alittle out of the Box impression; it has more power than the Audinst HUD-MX1 for sure, also good Bass punch, nice wide soundstage and detail while listening to some Alicia Keys.  By the way i'm using the USB and my W1000X.  So far  a step in the right direction, just needs alittle more burn in time.  Also this is a very solid Amp for home use and not portable outside, unless you are taking it out in a big backpack, lol.

May 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #83 of 727

Quote:
Do you have any other portables to compare to (like D10 or something)?

Hi Tim,  
   No, the smallest I have is a Compass or FUN.  I didn't want a portable, so much as  a small Footprint DAC/AMP and the Sparrow is the perfect size for me. 

One thing it's missing, is some little Rubber feet on the bottom.  It kinda slides around a little.  Very Solid build as one would expect from A-GD.

May 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #84 of 727
It could use some Rubber feet.

May 13, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #85 of 727
Hi Tim,  
   No, the smallest I have is a Compass or FUN.  I didn't want a portable, so much as  a small Footprint DAC/AMP and the Sparrow is the perfect size for me. 

One thing it's missing, is some little Rubber feet on the bottom.  It kinda slides around a little.  Very Solid build as one would expect from A-GD.

If you get around to it, any comparisons with the FUN would be greatly appreciated!

May 13, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #86 of 727
Received it today. These are just first impressions and I'll correct them if needed after 400 hours of burn-in. I think the sound is a little too energetic for me, other than that the sound signature is neutral and crystal clear (in the sense the tone is clear and confident, I won't decide exactly how detailed it is until after burn-in). Clarity, fast controlled detail and soundstage width/continuity are what I hear to be the sparrow's strong points.

Some shortcomings I see is that the timbre doesn't seem to have many shades of emotion in instrument decay, and this is maybe the first flaw you'll see given the huge amount of microdetails (even ambient detail) in the sparrow. The soundstage is big, ever-present with proper positioning and with good analytical detail, but depth is probably the second weak point. Other than these two things, I think the sparrow is impressive.

I am mostly impressed by the "crystal clear" sound signature of the sparrow. I will have to do some A/B'ing with my dac19mk3+phoenix (which is using RCA not ACSS), because I think the sparrow does certain high frequency sounds and ambience in a way I like better than how my main rig does them. I also like the small footprint and price!

Here's to hoping burn-in magically fixes the shortcomings, and maybe I'll sell everything else I have :p.

May 13, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #90 of 727
Sorry to compare sparrow to the more expensive dac19mk3+phoenix, but I actually think in some important aspects their performance can be compared. Never felt that way about the compass except some soundstage qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back