O2 AMP + ODAC
Apr 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,231 of 5,671
Quote:
Who makes the ODA?

i didnt understand if this was cynical or a real question. if its the latter - then no one. no official ODA design exists yet. he who must not be named made a post on his blog a long time ago, explaining the goals behind this new desktop design and then he basically disappeared. jds labs wrote in their blog that they have no clue whats going on with him, or the ODA... some sellers, like mayflower for example, offer customized O2 designs that turn the O2 into a desktop amp with things such as a 1/4" jack, but nothing official has been created yet.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,232 of 5,671
Who makes the ODA?

i didnt understand if this was cynical or a real question. if its the latter - then no one. no official ODA design exists yet. he who must not be named made a post on his blog a long time ago, explaining the goals behind this new desktop design and then he basically disappeared. jds labs wrote in their blog that they have no clue whats going on with him, or the ODA... some sellers, like mayflower for example, offer customized O2 designs that turn the O2 into a desktop amp with things such as a 1/4" jack, but nothing official has been created yet.

Yeah it was a real question. XD

I know that Voldemort has been missing in action and totally absent from contact, which is unfortunate to some extent... :/

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,233 of 5,671
Quote:
speaking of which.... dont suppose theres any news on the ODA? i pretty much gave up hope on it to be very honest... last word about it from "the creator" was when? 2012? 2011? i think we can stop waiting for it by now no?

I also gave up... If anybody wants, there is a fully-desktop version available at least from Mayflower Electronics which feature pretty much all I ever wanted from ODA (RCA outputs and 1/4 headphone out).

Original ODA project died long time ago. That said, if anybody releases amp/DAC combo called ODA with DSD support, SS nature with some sort of "tube-stage enabler", crossfeed circuit and impedance switch up to 1000USD, I will gladly go for it ,-)

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #1,235 of 5,671
Quote:
Adgr over on diy has been working on a "ODA" desktop amp in the spirit of the O2 design. Might want to check it out

Is it just an ordinary solid-state amp + DAC with better measurements? Or...?

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,237 of 5,671
Quote:
I didn't say anything about a DAC. It's a work in progress, and whether it's ordinary or not is for you to decide. Don't believe anything has been measured

Ordinary = just normal amplifier/DAC with no additional features... That's all I was asking. ODA was supposed to have ODAC inside, that's why I talked about DAC as well.

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #1,240 of 5,671
Quote:
Nothing revolutionary it's just a se amp. A few more features than the O2 with much larger voltage rails and current output. 3 position gain switch. Check it out if you're interested

Thanks very much for informing us :)

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,243 of 5,671
Would the O2+ODAC combo be a good upgrade from a udac2? I skimmed some of nwavguy's comments on the latter and I have to wonder if it's worth it since he's probably a biased source of information. I'm using Audio Technica A700x headphones.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,244 of 5,671
Quote:
Would the O2+ODAC combo be a good upgrade from a udac2? I skimmed some of nwavguy's comments on the latter and I have to wonder if it's worth it since he's probably a biased source of information. I'm using Audio Technica A700x headphones.

It should be a good upgrade. But, I haven't personally heard a udac2. Do you hear any problems with it? If so, the odac and o2 will almost certainly fix it. 

They definitely measure a lot better. It's just up to your ears and headphones and your source material whether you will hear much of an upgrade. There are too many factors to make sure. My advice? Pick up a used o2 and odac.. or a new one. If it's not worth it, just list it up here. You won't lose much money and it will satisfy your curiosity.

Happy Listening,

Chris

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,245 of 5,671
Well I could pass the udac2 to my bro and upgrade but I suppose it would most helpful to hear from anyone who's heard from both of them. Really the udac2 is my first dac/amp purchase so I don't have anything to compare it to besides my computer's sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back