O2 AMP + ODAC
Apr 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,262 of 5,671
Quote:
Hey everyone, just a quick question about the ODAC and the O2. I'm looking to purchase some Audioengine A5+'s and Sennheiser HD 598's along with the ODAC and O2 as separate devices. If what I've gathered is correct then I should be fine and dandy connecting things like so:

Computer -> ODAC -> Speakers

Computer -> ODAC -> O2 -> Headphones

Just would like to make sure this setup is good to go before making my purchases.

That's about right.

Depending on how hard it is to drive your headphones, you may or may not require a headphone amp. Most headphones do benefit from an amp however, so take that into consideration. If you're going to drive power-hungry headphones like planar-magnetics, then you'll want the O2. If you're more about IEMs, you may want the JDS Labs C5 amp, which is great for IEMs and most headphones, but not the really power-hungry ones.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #1,264 of 5,671
Quote:
Hey O2+Odac users, have you kept the builtin battery of O2 or removed it? I think the battery is completely useless and wonder if it will degrade fast. 

I took out the batteries.  Yeah, it's not good for them to be sitting in there charging for months on end.

Well, you could increase a couple resistor values to slow down the trickle charge, but you may as well just take them out if you never use them.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #1,267 of 5,671
Another question, anyone feel the O2 is too powerful for HD650? For me the maximum tolerated volume is at 9 o'clock of the button. Consider that HD650 is 300 ohms, I wonder any other headphone can utilize O2's full capacity.  

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #1,269 of 5,671
I leave the batteries in.

I unplug the AC adapter and run them down and then re attach the AC and charge them up.....

This keeps the batteries cycled.

If you don't ever intend to use them as intended then remove them.

Alex

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #1,270 of 5,671
Quote:
Another question, anyone feel the O2 is too powerful for HD650? For me the maximum tolerated volume is at 9 o'clock of the button. Consider that HD650 is 300 ohms, I wonder any other headphone can utilize O2's full capacity.  

Read the discussions in this thread about the O2's 1x/2.5x/6x gains.

At the lowest stock gain, 2.5x, I usually can't turn the volume above 10:00 for any headphone I own.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,271 of 5,671
I tried to remove the front panel to take the batteries out of my JDS Labs o2.  I couldn't budge the screws with the small screw driver I had.  It appears that they use thread locker.  Anyone else notice this?  Did you just muscle them off?

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #1,272 of 5,671
I tried to remove the front panel to take the batteries out of my JDS Labs o2.  I couldn't budge the screws with the small screw driver I had.  It appears that they use thread locker.  Anyone else notice this?  Did you just muscle them off?

Just try to power it through, or make it easier by using a larger screwdriver. The screws were tight for me too. You can make them looser by screwing the screw part way, unscrew it, screw it, unscrew it, re-screw it. I bought one of their aluminum cases for a school project and I had to self-tap it like this to get a smooth screwing experience.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #1,273 of 5,671
Use a screwdriver that is large enough to do the job....too small you will bugger them up and then will have lots of fun!!

Push really hard to keep the screwdriver from slipping....

Alex

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #1,275 of 5,671
Quote:

Quote:
Use a screwdriver that is large enough to do the job....too small you will bugger them up and then will have lots of fun!!

Push really hard to keep the screwdriver from slipping....

Alex

^this.

my hand hurt like hell after unscrewing those damned screws the first time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back