Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Jun 27, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #226 of 454
Does anyone know if the primo 8 will accept um-56 custom tips? Thanks

Considering that I could put on 1st Gen Westone 3 tips then those should fit too.

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #227 of 454
My shipment was pushed back to today. I generally use Westone Star Tips(large/orange) or Comply P100's for most of the other IEM's I have had. Any suggestions for me when mine arrive today?

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #228 of 454
My shipment was pushed back to today. I generally use Westone Star Tips(large/orange) or Comply P100's for most of the other IEM's I have had. Any suggestions for me when mine arrive today?

I think these come with comply tips. Lol. Keep in mind that tip selection can also be part of the IEM's tuning.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #230 of 454
primo primo....sounds like a havi...along the same vein?

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #232 of 454
But is there a recommendation that most use?

That depends on the person...  I personally stick to silicone tips because comply foam wears much quicker.  But it's more of a personal preference though. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #233 of 454
I should be getting a pair of these in on Saturday!  Been waiting quite a while to use them, and I finally get to.  I'll update y'all then :) 

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #235 of 454
Some quick thoughts....

Packaging is top notch...professional. The leather carry pouch is nice, but my preference would be a vault similar to Westone W4R. Overall, done nicely! Good assortment of accessories and everything is nicely displayed. Only one cable and I wished it had a cable without a mic.

Build... the shell seems like it is a hard plastic, not sure what type of plastic, I know what I have read. Love the color....doesn't look cheap to me. The nozzles don't necessarily look thin but they still make me question their durability, not sure if it is a question only an observation. I have some long term durability questions overall, but that would remain to be seen. There is a 2 year warranty.

Comfort...I struggle with all IEM's.  I have tried  the enclosed silicon and some Comply P100 tips, the enclosed Comply's didn't seal for me the P100's are longer and sealed well. I also did receive a good seal from the enclosed silicon, but I haven't tried Westone Star tips yet.. Overall these are one of the more comfortable IEM's I have owned. I won't list all but...Westone UM3X, W4R, SM64,Shure SE 846 are some. There is much talk about the huge memory wires....they are huge but I bent them quickly and found the correct placement for me. I listened for quite a few hours last night and actually slept for 2 hours with them in my ears.

Sound...I was using only the Fiio X5 at 75 volume and no eq. I have not tried the amp yet but I will try it a little later today. I have an E11, I am more of a portable person.

Bass is there...deep, never boomy or rattling. The bass is SO dependent on the seal. I like the bass in these a lot, it appears when it is supposed to and really blends in with the rest of what is going on. It is accurate...I was listening to a FLAC remastered Led Zep 2 ....and in Whole Lotta Love I heard subtle bass booms I did not know existed, even when using my SE 846's.

Mids...WOW they really excel at the full range of mids. They are a bit forward...but it is a sound I like. Compared to my other IEM's it is a clear, vibrant sound. Do not take any of what I say negative they are not in your face and when they are it is meant to be that way. Some of the best mids I have ever heard.

Treble...cymbals have never sounded better. There are times you think OMG here comes sibilance...but it just doesn't happen. The treble is just a well done as the rest of the range.

Notes on overall experience in less than 8 hours of listening...For jazz and blues the Primo 8's are incredible...the tone of the instruments, the clarity and the fact you can hear the separation of the instruments is a wow. For rock I haven't decided how I feel. It appears when there is a lot going on ie..classic  rock, hard rock etc...things muddy slightly, I could be wrong about this, because I haven't listened to any one thing for an extended period, just trying many things. One other note based on other things I read...I have the earphones behind my ears with the cable draped over my front shoulder and the mic is hanging exactly where it should others have mentioned it wasn't in front.  The sound is very very good overall thus far. Hearing the pick on guitar strings in Dave Matthews and the tone and timbre of instruments.
I need the experiment more with tips and fit and find what I am looking for. I can already tell these IEM's are capable, but I am not where I need to be yet. ACCURATE and CLEAN and liking it at this early point in our relationship.

These are notes and thoughts based solely on less than 8 hours of listening so YMMV.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #236 of 454

I've had the NuForce Primo 8 since about Saturday, I've got to say that I'm quite impressed with them.  They present with a very nice, sweet sound signature.  Fit, as others have noted, is a little finicky, specifically for me, it's driver flex.  However, one you get the right fit, these IEMs sound magnificent.  Bass extends deep into the lower octaves giving beautiful texturing that is accurate while impacts hit hard with good speed and precision.  The midrange seems to have an upper midrange focus on it as you lose quite a bit of lushness with many vocals and the instrumentals are presented in a more aggressive way.  That said, detailing and clarity are strong and stellar.  Treble can get a little splashy and thin unfortuantely.  Other than that, it offers great detailing, separation, presence, and extension throughout.  I have to say, I find very little wrong with this IEM.  The signature definitely is Shure-esque, so Shure fans may like this little wonder. 

Measurements are below as well.  Overall, it's quite linear all the way up to the 1 kHz range when it begins rolling off and stays linear after that (nearly all the way up to 20 kHz, impressive).  The treble is actually quite linear which is a big plus, though for some reason, sounds a little thin.  The bass is elevated and does seem to extend quite well. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #237 of 454
^ Doesn't look like a 2cc nor an occluded simulator to me. What is it that you used there?

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #238 of 454
  ^ Doesn't look like a 2cc nor an occluded simulator to me. What is it that you used there?

DIY...  LOL :p I originally calibrated my DIY to get close to what Rin gets with his stuff.  It's close, but not exact. 

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2014/03/nuforce-primo-8-firstborn.html

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #239 of 454
Hi all, my primo 8 should be in on Friday according to fedex, I ordered them at a bad time being the 4th of July !
I want to put them against the UE900S I got last week, also a quad driver. My question is can I fit my moon audio
Silver dragons cable and others I have on these. Thanks in advance.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #240 of 454
Hi all, my primo 8 should be in on Friday according to fedex, I ordered them at a bad time being the 4th of July !
I want to put them against the UE900S I got last week, also a quad driver. My question is can I fit my moon audio
Silver dragons cable and others I have on these. Thanks in advance.

As long as they have compatible connectors (the Primo 8 use the same connector as the UE 900; so you can technically also use the UE 900 cable on the Primo 8), you can use the cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back