Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Jul 26, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #451 of 454
I did find them a bit harsh at times. I've long since sold them so I don't 100% trust my audio memory. I've tried multiple times to replace or at least supplement my Westone W30s but for me at least, they have been my Goldilocks IEM. I was all set to buy W60s but in the end, I've just been happy enough not to.

See if the Complys help. I do remember that there were certain times that I did really like them. It was more that for on the go listening, my iPhone wasn't powerful enough.

We shall see with the Complys. But I think i will just end up posting them on Head Fi to someone else who will get some enjoyment out of them.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #452 of 454
I did find them a bit harsh at times. I've long since sold them so I don't 100% trust my audio memory. I've tried multiple times to replace or at least supplement my Westone W30s but for me at least, they have been my Goldilocks IEM. I was all set to buy W60s but in the end, I've just been happy enough not to.

See if the Complys help. I do remember that there were certain times that I did really like them. It was more that for on the go listening, my iPhone wasn't powerful enough.

Holy crap - you are right about the Complys. They do make a pretty significant difference in softening the sound. They are still a good deal harder for me to listen to compared to the RHA MA-750, but at least they're not shouting into my ear as much. Let's so what happens over the next 50 hours...

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #453 of 454
Week 3 Update:

After another 30-40 hours of listening and burn in I can safely say that the sound has changed and not in subtle way. I think there are two main schools of thought regarding burn in. Some that think changes actually happen and others who think it's purely your ears getting used to the sound, or brain burn-in. I definitely think there is credence to both of these view points.

The sound has become less harsh in in the upper mids and treble. I suffered an injury to my left ear (bike tire explosion...) which has made my left ear sensitive to very loud noise especially at mid to high frequencies. I can better tolerate the harshness I'm hearing, which leads me to believe that sound has actually changed. Otherwise I'd be in too much pain. The bass seems like it has remained about the same. Well extended when called upon, but not enhanced like the RHA-MA750. Treble seems to have smoothed out a bit as well, but not totally certain. I can't really comment on imaging, soundstage, or other sound quantifiers because I was in too much pain early on to focus on it.

Overall, I'm happier with what I'm hearing so I'm going to hold off on getting anything for the time being. I do have my eyes on some Shure SE-535s for the right price though...

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #454 of 454
Hi

Is there anything reasonably priced that sounds like the Primo 8 in 2020?

The Hifiman re-600 comes to mind, but I haven't tried it. The re-400 is excellent and sounds somewhat similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back