Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced Armature Driver IEM - Impressions
Jun 17, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #211 of 454

That's a huge difference....

Can you elaborate a bit more?

Haha yes. And at the opposite end the XBA-H3 is also a huge difference. Would be fun to compare all 3!

I asked about the ATH-CK100 Pro as a point of reference. I know that a_recording reviewed them in the pass and I owned them. Thanks!

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #212 of 454
  Can you elaborate a bit more?

The CK100PRO is treble-bright with a very slight lower midrange scoop and non-recessed upper midrange. The Primo 8 is basically the opposite in that regard.

I actually like the CK100PRO a lot; it and the Primo 8 are as different as night and day, however. For fun and clarity, the CK100PRO is it. For gentle warmth but deep transparency, then the Primo 8 is better.

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #213 of 454

The CK100PRO is treble-bright with a very slight lower midrange scoop and non-recessed upper midrange. The Primo 8 is basically the opposite in that regard.

I actually like the CK100PRO a lot; it and the Primo 8 are as different as night and day, however. For fun and clarity, the CK100PRO is it. For gentle warmth but deep transparency, then the Primo 8 is better.

I have both and you are spot on.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #214 of 454

Great thank you for the clear explaination

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #216 of 454
Jun 22, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #217 of 454
Thanks. Been listening to them all day can't get enough of this sound. .You guys must try larger bore tips..I can't use the stock tips afterwards. Out of my 2quickstep amp the sound is simply stupendous. It is very unfortunate that many will overlook these earphones for the usual Westones Shures Sennheisers and the like..These provide nothing but great sound to my ears. Not enough spot light on the Primo 8 imo.

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #219 of 454
Thanks. Been listening to them all day can't get enough of this sound. .You guys must try larger bore tips..I can't use the stock tips afterwards. Out of my 2quickstep amp the sound is simply stupendous. It is very unfortunate that many will overlook these earphones for the usual Westones Shures Sennheisers and the like..These provide nothing but great sound to my ears. Not enough spot light on the Primo 8 imo.

Actually I meant to ask, is the package you received the final retail version? From your pictures it seems like the stock silicone tips on my pair have larger bores. Will have to upload pictures later to double check.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #220 of 454
Don't know if it is the final version but it was sealed up and looked like a final production box. The only tips that had a wider bore than the silicones was the complys and I don't think those had the best sound coming from them.

So I just tried the medium sized tips to throw them on backwards to thicken the nozzle for my Spiral Dot tips. The medium silicon tips actually have a longer stem to them than the smallest silicones, actually extending the Primo8s nozzle by a cm or so. I threw on the Spiral Dots and this affected the sound.  Got even more treble and an overall sharper tone, but much less bass as a result. So slight variances on extending the nozzle end of the Primo 8 seems to have an effect in the sounds. 

I went back to the smallest silicone tips and those sit flush with the Primo 8s nozzle end and gives the best sound to my ears.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #222 of 454
  Has anyone tried pairing the Primo 8s with an iDSD Nano?

I haven't heard of that one, but as long as the source and amp are not cold and analytical sounding the Primo 8 should sound great.

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #225 of 454
Does anyone know if the primo 8 will accept um-56 custom tips? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back