Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 1, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #3,826 of 6,432

Quote:
the 598's :)...super duper stylish

Eh, I was more going by their rep for being good for classical in their price range. The HD25-IIs don't really do classical that well because of the closed-in soundstage which works lovely for rock/metal but not so much for orchestral stuff. That and I have an irrational brand loyalty towards Sennheiser for no good reason. :wink:

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #3,827 of 6,432

Quote:
Eh, I was more going by their rep for being good for classical in their price range. The HD25-IIs don't really do classical that well because of the closed-in soundstage which works lovely for rock/metal but not so much for orchestral stuff. That and I have an irrational brand loyalty towards Sennheiser for no good reason. :wink:

Head-fi will fix that ....loyalty of yours pretty soon.

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3,831 of 6,432

Quote:
Yeah but without the possibility of auditioning a pair first (Ireland isn't really good headphone friendly down South for auditioning) I'm reluctant to spend a lot on a house sound I've never heard. 

that's better :) audition before buying. however considering the price of the grado's @ around $80 USD. Most would just tell you to ditch the Grado SR 60 i and move tot he Grado/Allesandro MS1. From my time on head fi and reviews the MS1's are a lot better. and only $20 more.

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #3,832 of 6,432

Quote:
that's better :) audition before buying. however considering the price of the grado's @ around $80 USD. Most would just tell you to ditch the Grado SR 60 i and move tot he Grado/Allesandro MS1. From my time on head fi and reviews the MS1's are a lot better. and only $20 more.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. Though from a quick Google sourcing them within the EU might be annoying (we've hyperactive customs about imports from the US in this country in my experience making importing not worth it really). Buying blind without hearing first is very annoying but the only decent audio shop in my city deals almost entirely with passive speaker set ups and separates, but I don't have a choice in the matter given all the music heads I know are hi-fi guys and not really into headphones at all. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #3,836 of 6,432

Quote:
Nah, the HD 800s are still king of the dynamics.  Unless you go for STAX, I think your loyalty will not be unfounded.

....what? we are talking about headphones in the $100 range. please..... it's like some guy going into a car show full of Beetles and camry's with a ferrari and saying it's better....of course it's better. We are talking abuot in this price range.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #3,837 of 6,432
I was quite impressed with the progress that has been made in the more affordable sections of the market the last few years.

nesf does have some good points. In Europe it's tricky to find the rarer headphones at all, let alone try them out. And we often don't have the luxury of returning just about anything like you seem to be able to do in the US of A.
Add to that the fact that prices in dollars translate directly to euros or worse (A $99 item in the USA will easily cost 99-129 euros in Europe).

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #3,838 of 6,432

Quote:
I was quite impressed with the progress that has been made in the more affordable sections of the market the last few years.

nesf does have some good points. In Europe it's tricky to find the rarer headphones at all, let alone try them out. And we often don't have the luxury of returning just about anything like you seem to be able to do in the US of A.
Add to that the fact that prices in dollars translate directly to euros or worse (A $99 item in the USA will easily cost 99-129 euros in Europe).

Yeah the cheapest I can find SR80i's for is Richer Sounds at £110. For example. Sennheiser stuff isn't too bad here though price wise. My 598s cost £167 shipped. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #3,839 of 6,432
yeah...i knew that europe had higher prices. the return i didn't know too much about, but now i do. in America..it's pretty easy to get super low prices and shipping :/
for example
HFI 580-MSRB $230, can be bought for $118 USD
Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10-$100

you must be staring at your screen yellingwtf right now if you knew those two very well :)

it's really sad just how cheap and affordable things are here... :/

A very reliable gun here only costs $250 and can be bought online very easily...think of why America has such high crime rates. sure we can protect ourselves, but not everyone carries a gun.

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #3,840 of 6,432
Quote:
agreed. people go crazy when i they hear the price of the Visconti HS i have... and its just the rollerball too  
blink.gif

Quote:
Mostly people like them but can't agree with spending that much on headphones.  Although if you think that's bad, I get a way bigger reaction from people who can't believe what I spend on pens.  They can't fathom my $200 fountain pen, lucky I can't afford a Mont Blanc or they'd really **** the bed.  If I was spending a grand on something like that though, I think I'd fork over the extra for hd800s rather than a Mont Blanc.  Either way, people can't understand =P

People wonder both ways on my pens and headphones too, although while I can easily convince them of the value of headphones, pens are a wholly different matter. But performance-wise alone, diminishing returns certainly affects pens earlier than headphones. Which is why forking over a thousand bucks for LCD-2s would make more sense than spending that amount of money on say, an Nakaya with Maki-e that writes similar to a Sailor pen that's half the price. Not that I wouldn't want either of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back