Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 31, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #3,811 of 6,432

Quote:
 You're not wrong there bowei006 :)

Turned out he was big Fleetwood Mac fan and he also enjoyed my CD copy of Frank Sinatra
 with Count Basie at the Sands in Vegas. Real old school charm. In his own words

'I can hear Frank crooning to me again'

you lent him your CD? or made him a copy. that is a nice gesture man :)

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #3,812 of 6,432

Quote:
you lent him your CD? or made him a copy. that is a nice gesture man :)

Just a quick CD play demo with the Sugden HA-4 head amp piggy backing off a Luxman CD transport :)

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #3,814 of 6,432
Going to Bay Bloor while I was in Toronto was the one of the best decisions I ever made, I'm far from being able to afford them but listening to the HD 800s on the Peachtree amp they had there was heavily. My dad was blown away. I wasn't in Toronto when my mom and dad went the next time. They ventured in the store all by themselves, my dad to give the HD's a second listen, and my mom got her first. They sent me a picture on their phone of my dad listening, it sure did make me jealous. I got my mom to buy the Shure SE215's though, my dad bought my IE8's, I own TF10s, HD 558s, and just ordered V-MODA V-80s (on sale on Amazon for 139.99, get em while they're hot). Have a nice little Head-Fi family now. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3,815 of 6,432

Quote:
Going to Bay Bloor while I was in Toronto was the one of the best decisions I ever made, I'm far from being able to afford them but listening to the HD 800s on the Peachtree amp they had there was heavily. My dad was blown away. I wasn't in Toronto when my mom and dad went the next time. They ventured in the store all by themselves, my dad to give the HD's a second listen, and my mom got her first. They sent me a picture on their phone of my dad listening, it sure did make me jealous. I got my mom to buy the Shure SE215's though, my dad bought my IE8's, I own TF10s, HD 558s, and just ordered V-MODA V-80s (on sale on Amazon for 139.99, get em while they're hot). Have a nice little Head-Fi family now. 

Nice, well done!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #3,817 of 6,432

Quote:
Sister upon listening to my HD25-IIs: "Can I have these when you upgrade?"

My friend says that a lot too :) she always just likes to come over. sit down in my chair. enjoy my "consumer oriented" Z623 bass monsters. or just grab my Shure's. I got her to buy an Ultrasone HFI 580 now though :) She has been wanting some good heapdhones for a while. so her dad decided to gift her some bose AE2's. she took them over one day. just say there and jamed. i asked to test them...they were ok, but i knew the Ultrasone's were WAY more tailored for what she wants. she put them on. and you should see her face :) 

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #3,818 of 6,432

Quote:
My friend says that a lot too :) she always just likes to come over. sit down in my chair. enjoy my "consumer oriented" Z623 bass monsters. or just grab my Shure's. I got her to buy an Ultrasone HFI 580 now though :) She has been wanting some good heapdhones for a while. so her dad decided to gift her some bose AE2's. she took them over one day. just say there and jamed. i asked to test them...they were ok, but i knew the Ultrasone's were WAY more tailored for what she wants. she put them on. and you should see her face :) 

Yeah my sister isn't a big music person at all but I managed that reaction out of her with some classical music which she isn't into much at all. I might have to get her something cheap in the future to start her off, Koss Portapros perhaps? 

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #3,819 of 6,432

Quote:
Yeah my sister isn't a big music person at all but I managed that reaction out of her with some classical music which she isn't into much at all. I might have to get her something cheap in the future to start her off, Koss Portapros perhaps? 

if she likes mainstream music. the portapottys would do. However considering they are $40 i would then recommend adding $10 to get her a real set for her first headphone
The Samson SR 850 $50. Not samsung., just "Samson" it's a good AKG clone that performs very well

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #3,823 of 6,432

Quote:
Heh. 

Actually, my father-in-law's reaction to my HD25-IIs was amusing: "Why would you ever upgrade?" I look forward to letting him try my HD598s when they arrive. 

HD598..wow..i rarely see someone upgrade to another headphone that is actually cheaper MSRB wise

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #3,824 of 6,432

Quote:
HD598..wow..i rarely see someone upgrade to another headphone that is actually cheaper MSRB wise

Not really an upgrade, more of a move to a very different type of headphone for a different purpose. I wanted a comfortable open headphone for long listening sessions at home. The HD25-IIs will still be my isolation headphones for out and about and occasionally at home. I also found them quite uncomfortable for very long listening sessions. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #3,825 of 6,432

Quote:
Not really an upgrade, more of a move to a very different type of headphone for a different purpose. I wanted a comfortable open headphone for long listening sessions at home. The HD25-IIs will still be my isolation headphones for out and about and occasionally at home. I also found them quite uncomfortable for very long listening sessions. 

the 598's :)...super duper stylish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back