Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #481 of 4,655
I had a friend of mine try out my AD700s, D2000s and Mad Dogs.  He was impressed by all of them but absolutely loved the D2Ks.  Asked me how much they cost and seemed to genuinely consider buying a pair.  I let him try out my stuff because he was just gonna get some expensive gaming headset to replace the cheap one he had that broke and I figured I'd try to persuade him to spend his money more wisely.  We shall see what happens.

I had my mother try my headphones as well.  She was also a big fan of the D2Ks (seems that she's kind of a basshead) and commented about how her cheap earphones make the voices sound tinny.  Since her birthday is coming up I decided to get her Shure SE215s (IEMs are more convenient for her) so it'll be interesting to see what she has to say about them.

And for Father's Day, I ordered the Alessandro MS1i since my dad listens to lots of 70s/80s rock.  Will be quite interesting to hear his thoughts since he has been using the same cheap headphones for quite some time. 

May 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #482 of 4,655
This happened a few weeks ago, but I just got around to posting it.

Was riding on the bus when I noticed one of my friends in the seat behind me using some random skullcandies. I told him to try out my Klipsch X10s, first making him listen to like 30 seconds of a song on his skullcandies, then the same 30 seconds on my X10s. When he was done he looked at me and said "Thanks a**hole, now Im not gonna be able to go back to my skullcandies."

I was satisfied.

May 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #483 of 4,655
A couple days ago a friend of mine and her fiancé came over to discuss music for their wedding which I'll be DJ'ing. They see my HE-6 setup and inquire about it, and their jaws nearly hit the floor when I told them the price. They ask me if it's really "that good", to which my response was to cue up the music we've been discussing and hand them the headphones. Both their reactions: "oh..."

Speaks for itself.

May 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #484 of 4,655
Hey guys, im back.

So far, my pair of ultrasone hfi 580's has made my grandmother buy a new pair of ad700's, made my aunt and dad both seriously consider buying a pair themselves, made my 'top of the line' uncle jealous (he had aviators... Wierd that he was so impressed), and now my cousin is saving up for her own pair as well.

I also had gotten into a HEATED debate with my brother in law who thought bose were better :/

May 30, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #485 of 4,655
Quote:
A couple days ago a friend of mine and her fiancé came over to discuss music for their wedding which I'll be DJ'ing. They see my HE-6 setup and inquire about it, and their jaws nearly hit the floor when I told them the price. They ask me if it's really "that good", to which my response was to cue up the music we've been discussing and hand them the headphones. Both their reactions: "oh..."

Speaks for itself.

biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #486 of 4,655
Hey guys, im back.

So far, my pair of ultrasone hfi 580's has made my grandmother buy a new pair of ad700's, made my aunt and dad both seriously consider buying a pair themselves, made my 'top of the line' uncle jealous (he had aviators... Wierd that he was so impressed), and now my cousin is saving up for her own pair as well.

I also had gotten into a HEATED debate with my brother in law who thought bose were better :/

Bose believers are quite cultish. All come from non-audiophile backgrounds, so they believe the hype. It must be better than the bottom of the barrel crap, and so at least they are doing that for people. I haven't personally tried the Bose house sound sound, I can't comment on its weak points.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #487 of 4,655
I had my Bifrost/Lyr/HD800 rig at work again. I found guy with a pile of CDs on his desk this lead to a discussion about music. That and me wantin to sample his collection. :) Discussion of course with me lead to headphones and he metioned he wanted to get a good set and was already saving money. He handn't heard head-fi so I directed him here of course.

I showed him the HD800s online and asked if he wanted to hear them. So anyhow after a bit of listening to a 24/96 of Dark Side as a refrence track he took them off and said "Holy crap, those are good".

Yeah. They can do that. Now he's looking for something in the $500 range. He definitly has his eye on the Bifrost/Lyr combo too. I immagine the HD650s would be nice with the Schiit stack.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #488 of 4,655
My brother was always wondering why I spent so much on audio equipment (granted I work in pro audio).
A couple days ago I was listening to one of my setups and asked if he wanted a go, he put in my IEM's and played some Massive Attack.
His facial expression was complete disbelief. My setup isn't even that great, yet he loved it.
Shure SE425's
Fiio MontBlonc
MacBook Pro
Fiio d3 through the 24x192 optical connection

He is now about to purchase a Fiio E11 and a pair of KRK KNS6400's.

Very nice!

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #490 of 4,655
The logical response to someone who's got headphone sticker shock is "How much do you spend/have you spent on your music?"
If a pair of $100/$200/$500 headphones allows you to appreciate--and enjoy--the $2000 worth of music on your iPod (200 albums at $10 per) then they're a bargain.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #491 of 4,655
No one responds like that...

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #492 of 4,655
Quote:
The logical response to someone who's got headphone sticker shock is "How much do you spend/have you spent on your music?"
If a pair of $100/$200/$500 headphones allows you to appreciate--and enjoy--the $2000 worth of music on your iPod (200 albums at $10 per) then they're a bargain.

Quote:
No one responds like that....

Or another way to look at it is people will spend $1000s of dollars on a two or three day vacation (plane trip, hotels, entertainment, etc.)  and it is over.  But they can't understand the same amount being spent on something that will continue to entertain them for decades.  It's all a matter of perspective I guess.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #493 of 4,655
Priorities. Some people don't care for sound quality at all, so how should they understand anything?

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #494 of 4,655
Some of my empathetic friends do understand why I spend money on these, some don't. It's just like that, you can't expect people to understand everything. Just like how we can't appreciate designer clothes (oh don't scoff at me, I know a lot of you guys hate designer clothing).

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #495 of 4,655
Quote:
Some of my empathetic friends do understand why I spend money on these, some don't. It's just like that, you can't expect people to understand everything. Just like how we can't appreciate designer clothes (oh don't scoff at me, I know a lot of you guys hate designer clothing).

Yall mean like Levi's and Wrangler? I like them kinda deeziner clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back