Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #466 of 4,655
Quote:
Remind me again why WASAPI is important to use on Windows 7? I thought WASAPI solved an issue that was only present on Windows XP.

It's not important at all. It focuses on only your media player and the sounds that emit from it, I.E giving you a distractionless experience as you won't hear notifications from Facebook, Skype or anything else, just Foobar2k.

Also, I find that WASAPI slight clears up the music and everything sounds less congested. The only time I use DS is when I'm Skyping someone, I'm playing games, watching YouTube videos or listening to live recordings.

May 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #467 of 4,655
Quote:
It's not important at all. It focuses on only your media player and the sounds that emit from it, I.E giving you a distractionless experience as you won't hear notifications from Facebook, Skype or anything else, just Foobar2k.

Also, I find that WASAPI slight clears up the music and everything sounds less congested. The only time I use DS is when I'm Skyping someone, I'm playing games, watching YouTube videos or listening to live recordings.

I'm told that it is to avoid jitter? not sure, don't quote me on that.
blink.gif

May 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #468 of 4,655
Quote:
I have a great vinyl rip of Adele's 21 and I don't really get where all the hate is coming from. I thought it was pretty good, minus some blatantly fake reverb and a lack of clarity in complicated passages.

No hate, just disappointed with the mastering/recording quality that's all. If you got a great vinyl rip then that's great. I think I should get myself the vinyl rip and not the CD rip instead.

May 17, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #469 of 4,655
No hate, just disappointed with the mastering/recording quality that's all. If you got a great vinyl rip then that's great. I think I should get myself the vinyl rip and not the CD rip instead.

Perhaps I shouldn't have worded it so strongly, but the album is frequently cited as a poorly mastered album on Head-Fi and it was always a head scratcher to me as to why. It's not the best I've heard by any means, but is it a Death Magnetic? No.

May 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #470 of 4,655
Since we are discussing masters, what do you guys think of "Le Noise"? I seem to like it, but then again I like ethereal beats of any sort. Lots of haters for this album, but that might be because its such a departure from his other work.

May 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #471 of 4,655
Quote:
Since we are discussing masters, what do you guys think of "Le Noise"? I seem to like it, but then again I like ethereal beats of any sort. Lots of haters for this album, but that might be because its such a departure from his other work.

It wasn't really for me; I haven't been enthused by much of his later work at all to be honest.

May 25, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #472 of 4,655
U guys know my post with my grandmother who loved my hfi 580's? Well shes buying a pair of ad-700's :D

Welcome to head-fi grandma and sorry for your pension/retirement B-)

May 25, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #474 of 4,655
Quote:

both CD/Vinyl sounded pretty similar, though the vinyl was a bit better, i just kept the CD. 

the mastering/recording isn't great, but its not bad imo. just a bit of compression and other small issues, but at least the dynamics are ok. 

May 25, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #475 of 4,655
Quote:
Remind me again why WASAPI is important to use on Windows 7? I thought WASAPI solved an issue that was only present on Windows XP.

It ensures bit perfect output of the audio stream. Really only useful for audio production. In most other cases, it's just an inconvenience that means having to close down your media player if you want to do anything else that needs audio output.

I suppose if you're doing a lot of multitasking, it could prevent the skipping that sometimes happens when the computer is working especially hard. But if that's happening, your computer is probably underpowered, anyway.

May 25, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #476 of 4,655
Friend of mine just tried my new K702 Annies with a few tracks from Masterpiece Theatre by Marianas Trench. His words were "Woah! It's like listening to a totally different song! They sound so much better than my gaming headset!"
eek.gif

Afterwards, I could see the look of "consideration" on his face when I told him there are many good sounding headphones out there that can be had even with a modest budget of $150-200. We may have a new convert yet my friends
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #478 of 4,655
Buddy of mine listened to my F111s and was very very impressed. Completely understands my audio obsession now. I was surprised actually, I didn't expect the F111s to be very impressive to a non-audiophile on a first listen. He does enjoy music a lot, so I should give him more credit.

Anyway, now he's looking for ~$100 IEMs. I think I might've spoiled him; I let him try my HF3s and he really was not as impressed.

May 30, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #479 of 4,655
Hifiman RE-400?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back