Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jul 26, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #3,616 of 4,655
  I find that people around the age 13-15, with good audio equipment or not often have a bad music taste (no offense! definetly doesnt apply to everybody
I've only got a few friends with good music taste but they're all rap
They usually go for shallow, bassy catchy stuff or whatever with little artistic depth, like pop, big rewm haus, trap, junk rap
I absolutely love psychedelic rock, but i still find myself coming back to electronic often because it's just so much easier to, it's the current music so thats what the people around you listening and plus, the artists are still alive lol
only four or five bands i like are still making music
frown.gif

also at such a young age there are more important things to buy than a desk full of headphones...
im sitting here with 3 headphones and 5 iems when i could be saving up to finally get a phone... or car... or house
mad.gif

Anyway
Last month I lost my clip+, poor guy, but a friend who wasn't using their ipod nano gave hers to me,
later my mummy's new!! iPhone 4 GS broke so she went over to the apple store, i was playing around with my nano and the guy helping my mummy asked me if the sound quality was good... lol

(it wasn't the sound quality is pretty bad)
(prefer my $40 clip any day)
(hell i even prefer the hardware more, this scroll wheel must be made out of recycled t-shirts or something)

16 here but I have pretty weird music taste for a 16-year-old 
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #3,620 of 4,655
  Headphones broadened my taste immensely from rock and metal to just about any genre. Among others, folk, classic, jazz, acoustic, singer-song writer, blues, a little electronic so on so forth. Good music isn't really genre dependent, though I have my preferences.

IMO a lot of pop and electronic music has much shallower artistic depth than rock and jazz //however there are exceptions e.g. XXYYXX Savant Smiletron KOAN SOUND HIATUS ASA 'GUCH, i think Lorde is pretty cool
i dont think i can even understand classic it's so complicated.... but maybe thatll change as i get older (=

Headphones did the same for me too though, i used to only listen to pop-electronic... (it's embarrasing)
I almost find the genre annoying now, when i hear it in malls and restraunts

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #3,621 of 4,655
Just gonna put out that the Mirror's Edge OST is amazing.

Everybody tells me that! I've got to give it a try sometime

my favorite soundtracks atm are Scott pilgrim V. World & S&S:S EP

Also a lot of Vert's work
  I listen to a lot of electronic genres, from ambient to trap and pretty much everything in between (speedcore, glitch hop, dubstep, and my personal fave, electro haus). Though I do, I still find myself listening to orchestral soundtracks from time to time, especially my recently-acquired Child of Light OST. Simply beautiful music that doesn't feel too "classical" or "traditional." Then there's jazz, some R&B, The Carpenters, rock & roll, pop rock, solo piano, and some fingerstyle (guitar).

Like @davidsh, good music isn't genre dependent. In my opinion, it's more artist dependent. I mean, sure, there are a lot of bad dubstep artists (*ahem* Skrillex *ahem*), but there are better ones. Then again, the pop genre is beyond saving now, so I wouldn't dabble into all the trash the recent artists have turned it into. Pop's pretty much a catch-all genre by now.

I think album-dependent, Especially with electronic artists because new equipment and technology and sounds are always being made and as time moves forward so does the genre
and... mainstream or not, skrollexs is really not that bad of an artist, i think he puts a really fun twist to the genre whatever it is he makes
yeah, I like sansa's much more than ipods too. You don't have any dedicated home headphones that I can see in your sig, so I'm guessing you usually used your sansa? That sucks. Good thing they are fairly cheap.
wink.gif
I think ill be getting a Fuze, or a Fuze+ and rockboxing it. (fuze+ sucks without rockbox according to the mainly 1 star amazon reviews. And according to some users on here, all the problems go away with rockbox.) anyways, I listen to mainly non-mainstream electronic, like this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3nuHcW6SXk I also listen to 70's-80's pop and rock, j-pop, big band, orchestra, etc... Interestingly, with each headphone I've gotten, I found a genre I liked that I didn't before. My mom actually just recently listened to my cans, and I played "Take It To The Limit" by The Eagles... She started to tear up.

every headphone is for home! i'm too shy to wear them in public, i always use iems out there...
I heard a couple ipod classics and my brothers touch 5, i think they sound fine but i hate my nano

im really surprised how many people listen to electronic here, actually. I was under the impression that everyone listened to rock, jazz and classic haha

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #3,622 of 4,655

Everybody tells me that! I've got to give it a try sometime

my favorite soundtracks atm are Scott pilgrim V. World & S&S:S EP

Also a lot of Vert's work

I think album-dependent, Especially with electronic artists because new equipment and technology and sounds are always being made and as time moves forward so does the genre
and... mainstream or not, skrollexs is really not that bad of an artist, i think he puts a really fun twist to the genre whatever it is he makes

every headphone is for home! i'm too shy to wear them in public, i always use iems out there...
I heard a couple ipod classics and my brothers touch 5, i think they sound fine but i hate my nano

im really surprised how many people listen to electronic here, actually. I was under the impression that everyone listened to rock, jazz and classic haha

Well, maybe those guys in Summit-Fi do. But for the rest of us...

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #3,623 of 4,655
Well, maybe those guys in Summit-Fi do. But for the rest of us...

Nothing wrong with electronic music. Can't wait to give Hotline Miami soundtrack a listen when my TH-900's arrive.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #3,624 of 4,655
So a friend of mine has just tried out watching a small part of a movie (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey) through my system (Sony BDP-S370, optical out -> Benchmark DAC1 -> HDVA600 -> HD800, Norne Skoll balanced recabled) and he said that if he own a system like this he wouldn't feel the need to go to the cinema anymore. Seems like he's intrigued in getting his own system.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #3,625 of 4,655
Not important bit. More of a re-introduction post.
First post in a few years. Strange encounters with "non-audiophiles" recently. I just moved back to my home city after 7 years away. I started my hi-fi journey right before I left. I had a HD590 as my only headphones, and I have a decent Cambridge Audio stack to my MS10i bookshelves. Nothing special, but to me, as a student, that was amazing. Simply a different category from Logitech computer speakers, or even the Harman and Kardon Soundstick II. Friends and family thought it was a cool hobby with a definite improvement of the clarity of sound.

Fast forward 4 years. Had a massive itch from upgraditis. My then girlfriend, now fiancée, bought me a pair of LCD2.2. I completed the set with a Schiit Lyr running from my existing Asus Xonar STX. This system persisted for a few more years... until I started my working life.

Working life has been great to me. I spend a lot of time reading journals, and after exhausting any half-baked articles, I needed further stimulation, I turned back to hi-fi, decided to give head-fi a bit more focus over speakers, and I started acquiring headphones I constantly drooled over as a pauper. 

Actually on the subject.
I moved back to my home city, and I love having people over. I'd let them sit in my chair. My collection of headphones isn't hidden, but isn't in plain sight either. I'd usually have a  "cheaper" set already set up, so naturally, that's what they'd pick up. I have my Q701 plugged into my trusty ol Schiit Lyr. They'd be blown away by how amazing the sound is compared to their Phillips, Beats, Bose and the likes. The question regarding how much I spend on my gear and how much they'd need to spend to get that sound quality comes up. I'd give them the price of the cheapest way to start (no fancy cables, Essence STX, clone amp, and bargain of the week headphones) and the resounding response would be, "What the hell... for "earphones"? I thought my iPod and beats are up there". They'd then look around to see my other headphones and they'd learn that they've been listening to the cheapest set up.

What ensues is usually having them try different price brackets of my gear. With each significant increment, their responses grew ever more silent, but their interest manifestly peaking. By the end of my little tour around my 12' x 8' temple of audio nirvana, all focus is drawn to head-fi. My fiancée would take the opportunity to skip the weekly lecture (I call it a public service) regarding setting off on the yellow brick road. 

After all is said and done, and my guests are doing the farewell round of pleasantries, I'd still be hearing the occasional statements of disbelief regarding the price of some of my headphones. "Two thousand... for a... what... just happened?...". 

Welcome to addiction.

evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #3,626 of 4,655
  My then girlfriend, now fiancée, bought me a pair of LCD2.2.

Gratz mate, that's the dream.. You hold on to her! Most of the population here hides the price/purchase from their better half, and yet here you are with someone who not only accepts your addiction, but supports it 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #3,627 of 4,655

Gratz mate, that's the dream.. You hold on to her! Most of the population here hides the price/purchase from their better half, and yet here you are with someone who not only accepts your addiction, but supports it 
biggrin.gif

Thanks! But I still do hide my purchases and prices. I think that's a requirement to be an audio addict. One of the key tenets to addiction is shame and secrecy.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #3,628 of 4,655
Gratz mate, that's the dream.. You hold on to her! Most of the population here hides the price/purchase from their better half, and yet here you are with someone who not only accepts your addiction, but supports it :D

Indeed one lucky man! Mine can't even accept it :frowning2:

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #3,630 of 4,655
beerchug.gif
 and here's to her (and all the wives of addicts) never knowing the other half of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back