Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 19, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #211 of 4,655
Quote:

I'm in a agreement. Their picks aren't the best. But it still stands. Their not as much of a rip off as you think when you match part for part. It's built for idiots, yes, and you can build better for the same price. But the display stands on its own. If get yourself a PC with a real display, your going to fork out some cash and you've come nearly full circle. To make your argument work, the first thing you had to do was ditch the display. When in fact it is your primary interface to the tool at hand. Without a quality display you might as well not have a machine. It comes down to priorities again. Same reasoning behind headphones. I like a display that I can sit in front of that isn't fixed at 1920x1080 like the rest of the market when "HD" came in. Prior to that, LCD panels actually had a higher resolution in a lot of cases.  Bah. I digress.

He could just buy a Korean 1440p IPS panel for $400ish if he wanted to.  I see no difference between my Catleap and the Apple, and mine is overclockable to 120 Hz.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #212 of 4,655
Quote:
He could just buy a Korean 1440p IPS panel for $400ish if he wanted to.  I see no difference between my Catleap and the Apple, and mine is overclockable to 120 Hz.

Put them side by side and try and calibrate it as well. I ran into this with my own from home vs my work 27" 2560x1600 "Thunderbolt" I was using. Its no contest. You see no difference because you haven't put them beside each other. Just like A/B testing.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #213 of 4,655
Quote:

Put them side by side and try and calibrate it as well. I ran into this with my own from home vs my work 27" 2560x1600 "Thunderbolt" I was using. Its no contest. You see no difference because you haven't put them beside each other. Just like A/B testing.

The Catleap simply uses an A- panel that was rejected by Apple/Dell/other manufacturers.  Some have backlight bleeding, dead pixels, mismatched color, etc.  If lacking these problems, the difference isn't as large as you make it out to be.  I've been to the Apple Store several times in the last few months, and the difference I saw wasn't large at all.

It doesn't even matter, as you could buy the Thunderbolt and use it with a PC, regardless.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #214 of 4,655
Quote:
The Catleap simply uses an A- panel that was rejected by Apple/Dell/other manufacturers.  Some have backlight bleeding, dead pixels, mismatched color, etc.  If lacking these problems, the difference isn't as large as you make it out to be.  I've been to the Apple Store several times in the last few months, and the difference I saw wasn't large at all.

It doesn't even matter, as you could buy the Thunderbolt and use it with a PC, regardless.

Certainly if you liked. I was just surprised when I tried to match Apples $1000 display, after including the ethernet port, usb ports, aluminum construction. Front glass and camera, I couldn't match it with off the shelf displays.  If you know the right people (distributors) you can get Apple stuff for around %60-80 of MSRP, which brings it into deal zone. Unfortunately Apples a bit of a nazi when it comes to controlling MSRP at the retail level and you'll pay the same pretty much everywhere. 

Headphones.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #215 of 4,655
Certainly if you liked. I was just surprised when I tried to match Apples $1000 display, after including the ethernet port, usb ports, aluminum construction. Front glass and camera, I couldn't match it with off the shelf displays.  If you know the right people (distributors) you can get Apple stuff for around %60-80 of MSRP, which brings it into deal zone. Unfortunately Apples a bit of a nazi when it comes to controlling MSRP at the retail level and you'll pay the same pretty much everywhere. 

Headphones.

Headphones, indeed. I actually did laugh out loud at that.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #216 of 4,655
I was afraid that we were about to get shut down just 16 pages in, but then NightFlight saved us all with that single word.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #217 of 4,655
I just got my hfi-580's with the fiio e11 amp, And although these aren't exactly high end, compared to beats and skullcandy.... Anyways, so i showed it to my grandmother, my aunt, my cousin, my dad, my mom, and my brother in law.

My brother in law is quite annoying, and i had to badger him to get him to listen to them, to which he replied "Yeah, these are good." even if they sounded like a live concert he would've said that. Like i said, annoying. Besides, he has some nice subs in his car. Bass is all he wants :/

My dad actually had a pair of dt770 80 ohm pros already, so he knew a little about the headphone business. I put my headphones on and he just sat there... for a few minutes, then 10 minutes, then 20 minutes until i finally turned off the music and he looked at me and said "I gotta get me a pair of those sometime..... those are incredible"

My mom had a pair of 100$ bose IEM's, and she gave the casual expression of "Yeah, these sound good"

My cousin is a fan of beats, although she could never afford them. i actually got into headphones from beats, with her. Except i was willing to try the xb500's to see if there was anything close for a cheaper price. She loved those, but compared to my new headphones she simply thought they were a little more clear... but had less bass.

My aunt said "Oh man... I should'nt of listened to these.... Please tell me you wont let grandmother hear these"

My grandmother
very_evil_smiley.gif
 loves classical, and enya, and josh groban. well, i just so happened to have her fav song on my phone, in 320 kbs. She went on, and on, and on about how "It sounds like its my first time listening to the music, and it sounds like its coming out of an ocean". Well, long story short, she wants a pair. And she lives with my aunt who most likely going to be buying 2 pairs, for her and my grandmother.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #218 of 4,655
Quote:
I just got my hfi-580's with the fiio e11 amp, And although these aren't exactly high end, compared to beats and skullcandy.... Anyways, so i showed it to my grandmother, my aunt, my cousin, my dad, my mom, and my brother in law.

My brother in law is quite annoying, and i had to badger him to get him to listen to them, to which he replied "Yeah, these are good." even if they sounded like a live concert he would've said that. Like i said, annoying. Besides, he has some nice subs in his car. Bass is all he wants :/

My dad actually had a pair of dt770 80 ohm pros already, so he knew a little about the headphone business. I put my headphones on and he just sat there... for a few minutes, then 10 minutes, then 20 minutes until i finally turned off the music and he looked at me and said "I gotta get me a pair of those sometime..... those are incredible"

My mom had a pair of 100$ bose IEM's, and she gave the casual expression of "Yeah, these sound good"

My cousin is a fan of beats, although she could never afford them. i actually got into headphones from beats, with her. Except i was willing to try the xb500's to see if there was anything close for a cheaper price. She loved those, but compared to my new headphones she simply thought they were a little more clear... but had less bass.

My aunt said "Oh man... I should'nt of listened to these.... Please tell me you wont let grandmother hear these"

My grandmother
very_evil_smiley.gif
 loves classical, and enya, and josh groban. well, i just so happened to have her fav song on my phone, in 320 kbs. She went on, and on, and on about how "It sounds like its my first time listening to the music, and it sounds like its coming out of an ocean". Well, long story short, she wants a pair. And she lives with my aunt who most likely going to be buying 2 pairs, for her and my grandmother.

Wow. Awesome your grandmother loves them. I always feel that I have to control the recording on first demo for someone because their going to think the headphone is trash when it reality it might be their favorite recording. At least that's a big issue with my rig since it's increadibly incredibly revealing and unforgiving.  Very little material is how I remember it. Kraftwek "The Mix" is thin and light... missing all the midbass warmth I know... but this Yellow Album "The eye" is incredible. 

I can't get my facilities guy even back in my office here. LOL. He looks at my rig and leaves. :) Hopefully it's not becuase he thinks its crap and doesn't want to say anything mean.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #219 of 4,655
he prob just thinks something similar to "Who would buy such nice headphones, and all of the setup... what a waste of money..". People tend to think that headphones over 50$ are a waste of money. I dont understand where they are coming from :/. Anyways, yeah the only people i didnt show my headphones on my iphone + fiio e11 + 320 kbs is my cousin and my brother in law. Just to be annoying he actually listened to them while i was somewhere else. My cousin actually ended up playing some music on youtube x(. May i ask what rig you were using?

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #220 of 4,655
  I don't explain the reason for my computer to family as I know they would give me funny looks and tell me that I don't need all of that to play games. When all the games the family members tend to play are the default ones that come with windows, Like Hearts and the other cards games. Which also why I don't even bother with explaining my audio setup to them either.

Its a real shame that people use youtube videos for their source of music, Just as bad as those who use 128kbs mp3's.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #221 of 4,655
Its a real shame that people use youtube videos for their source of music, Just as bad as those who use 128kbs mp3's.

Worse, actually. It's almost guaranteed to be a double-lossy at minimum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube#Quality_and_codecs

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #222 of 4,655
we have a new convert to the audiophile world!!!!!
for some stupid reason I was unable to make an account here so I asked my friend to make one for me......
few days after he made me an account he asked me what exactly did I make this account for......
he used a samsung glaaxy s3 and the iem provided with it.....
I explained to him everything and he burst out laughing that I has spending all my money on headphones when he heard I got my XBA-3 for i got $150, I still haven't told him they cost $300 retail......
after that I pursued him to listening to them......
after he was done listening to them he had a stupid face on for about a minute and then asked me if I was going to sell them.......
I told him I wasn't but I did lend him my XBA-1s......
now I got him to buy a M50 and E11 combo and he is very happy with it........
he is also thinking about getting a DT770 and a C5......
I'm so happy that I'm not the only one who is gonna be broke!!!!
He is also!!!!!!!!

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #223 of 4,655
he prob just thinks something similar to "Who would buy such nice headphones, and all of the setup... what a waste of money..". People tend to think that headphones over 50$ are a waste of money. I dont understand where they are coming from :/. Anyways, yeah the only people i didnt show my headphones on my iphone + fiio e11 + 320 kbs is my cousin and my brother in law. Just to be annoying he actually listened to them while i was somewhere else. My cousin actually ended up playing some music on youtube x(. May i ask what rig you were using?

Yes, a lot people can't even see spending $50, much less $100 or more. The jokes on them. Headphones UNDER $50 are almost always a waste of money :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #224 of 4,655
Quote:
  I don't explain the reason for my computer to family as I know they would give me funny looks and tell me that I don't need all of that to play games. When all the games the family members tend to play are the default ones that come with windows, Like Hearts and the other cards games. Which also why I don't even bother with explaining my audio setup to them either.

No offense to anyone here, but most people aren't OCD.

A pirated movie download which looks like absolute crap to an video enthusiast/blu ray collector, maybe 320 res, is just fine for most people. Very few people "need"1080p blu ray, and 4K probably just seems unimaginable. 

Most people are fine with 128 bit mp3's; they don't need 1411 AIFF or lossless files; even 320 bit seems like a waste of file space to most people. 

For the vast majority of people, the cost benefit ratio weighs heavily in favor of convenience and minimizing cost, not absolute, or near perfect sound or video reproduction.

---

Let's look at a different hobby: how much time would you invest in order to buy a tennis racquet? I got my first racquet out of the garage, and the second within 10 minutes of browsing the selection at the closest sporting goods store. Had a good time playing tennis on both occasions. 

Or, you could spend WEEKS, even months and YEARS demoing racquet after racquet; string after string, one string tension after another, one grip after another, and so on. 

You could spend so much time analyzing your equipment, that the joy of the game itself becomes irrelevant and you simply develop a weird equipment fetish and never quite achieve 'racquet nirvana.'

---

My situation is simple: if the creative aura and/or igrado's don't work out, that's it, I won't spend any more time searching for new headphones. I'll just stick with a backup pair of earpods. Three options is all I'm willing to investigate and that's more than enough for me. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #225 of 4,655
Quote:
No offense to anyone here, but most people aren't OCD.

A pirated movie download which looks like absolute crap to an video enthusiast/blu ray collector, maybe 320 res, is just fine for most people. Very few people "need"1080p blu ray, and 4K probably just seems unimaginable. 

That is unless that Video enthusiast/blu ray collector has just deployed and all he has are the pirated movies from his fellow Marines/Shipmates. At that point he is just glad to have some type of entertainment. Just sayin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back