Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #181 of 4,655
If I have audio guys (not into headphones) try out my setups, they get it. Regular people sometimes sort of get it. Most common comment I get from non-audiophiles is "wow that's really clean!" They still don't usually understand the cost though.

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #182 of 4,655
The cost part is usually what I prefer to not share when it comes to my audio gear.  Everyone chooses to spend their money in different ways for entertainment, but may not understand why others do what they do.  

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #183 of 4,655
The cost part is usually what I prefer to not share when it comes to my audio gear.  Everyone chooses to spend their money in different ways for entertainment, but may not understand why others do what they do.  

Based on the common person's attention to looks, it would be a bit easier to prove yourself, should it come up, with the beautiful top-end Audio-Technicas you posess than with, say, a Sig Pro. At least you've got that going for you.

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #184 of 4,655
I had my dad compare the iFi amp I got in to my O2 using a pair of SA5000s. I put on some Hayley Westenra and when I asked how the O2 compared, he said, "She sounds like she has a cold or is behind a curtain with the O2. I don't like it."

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #185 of 4,655
So I got a new Turntable delivered and set up the other day, by a dealer/audiophile, I don't think he got the "headphone" thing until he heard the table through my Lyr and HD650's, I think he ran home to place an order.  lol

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #186 of 4,655
Quote:
awesome pics.  I'm surprise you didn't get slammed for the way it looks.  Normally people who don't own good headphones have problem looking past looks before sounds.  I just let a family look at your picture and they said "what were they thinking when they made that headphone." Haha only if they know what role Stax's plays in the headphone world.

Yeah, my 800s are way too big for me. I looked in the mirror and said, "oh well". Its not like I take them out of the house. :)
My wife thought I bought them for the gym at first. LOL.  

Though that would be epic....

I'd need a backpack for the battery, power converter, DAC and tube amp. That would be a good work out for sure.  ****, I'd probably keel right over.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #187 of 4,655
Quote:

Yeah, if you make the mistake of showing people a pricy setup and telling them that early on, some people will dismiss anything more reasonable you suggest. "Well, considering how much the headphones from before cost, all these will probably be overpriced too. I think I'll just get Beats instead."

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #188 of 4,655
Quote:
Yeah, if you make the mistake of showing people a pricy setup and telling them that early on, some people will dismiss anything more reasonable you suggest. "Well, considering how much the headphones from before cost, all these will probably be overpriced too. I think I'll just get Beats instead."

For $349? What a waste of money. I'd get more benefit from a set of tubes.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #189 of 4,655
Lol no I meant that seems to be the attitude some people have, not that I'd rather have Beats. Even if they were a reasonable price for what they are, I probably wouldn't buy them because they'd get no use over my better sounding headphones.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #190 of 4,655
I've dragged my rig into work (see sig) since I have the office to myself while the boss is out. Open headphones are not conducive to the work environment....

My facilities guy comes buy quite a bit and he thinks my $$$ expense is a waste. He's pretty tight to start with. People blowing money on crap is one of his favorite subjects of ridicule.  Well, everything was warmed up and I put on some Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown. That recording has some nice kick to it.

"Can you ever hear the guitar!"

He didn't keep it on long enough to appreciate. Really, I don't think he wants to. :)

I left the rig at work overnight breaking in some tubes that were almost there. I left looping the the 96-24 Fleetwood Mac Rumours album. He comes in a couple hours earlier than I do and the next morning I noticed the 800s were set larger than I use them at.

cool.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #192 of 4,655
Mar 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #193 of 4,655
I converted someone on Saturday. It wasn't technically a non-audiophile. It was someone who was looking for a new set of cans, knew that the typical mass market stuff wasn't what he was looking for, but didn't know where to look.

I brought him to Best Buy to audition the Magnolia section cans, and we each appreciated how good those sounded. We also tried some of the standard ones on the sales floor. It was interesting, because the Beats section was mostly disconnected. Only one set was functioning, and it was only the right can of that set.

We went home, and I let him try my K702 which is just connected to my sound card. He appreciated that sound signature more, but loved how the sets in the Magnolia section sounded when amped.

He's got his mind set on the A900x now :D

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #194 of 4,655
Quote:
He's got his mind set on the A900x now :D

I encouraged my friend to pick up a pair of the A900x from buydig's sale when he was looking for a new headphone in that price range.  He's been enjoying them so far from his sound card.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back