NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 8, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #4,427 of 4,971
Just got my Vali 2 days ago. I've been pleased with everything it's shown me so far.

The only thing I'm left wondering is how the amp will behave in the future. Has anyone noticed any changes to the floor noise or even the microphonics after accumulating some hours with this amp? This may seem like a weird question, because my initial impressions are honestly all positive. I'm just worried how well this amp is going to "age".

If this has been answered or discussed before, my apologies, and I would love a link if this is the case. Cheers to all of our Schiit.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #4,428 of 4,971
  Just got my Vali 2 days ago. I've been pleased with everything it's shown me so far.

The only thing I'm left wondering is how the amp will behave in the future. Has anyone noticed any changes to the floor noise or even the microphonics after accumulating some hours with this amp? This may seem like a weird question, because my initial impressions are honestly all positive. I'm just worried how well this amp is going to "age".

If this has been answered or discussed before, my apologies, and I would love a link if this is the case. Cheers to all of our Schiit.

I've experienced no change at all in the noise floor or microphonics, in about a year of use so far.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #4,429 of 4,971

I believe Jason said somewhere that the Vali's tubes have a 10,000 hour life expectancy and Schiit will replace them for a small charge when they fail. The Vali should age well, I wouldn't worry.

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #4,430 of 4,971

mine has been on for over a year now (continuous) and no problems

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #4,433 of 4,971
 Mine is #693. I bought it in Europe, a second hand bargain on eBay over a year ago. The guy used it for a couple of weeks, until his Lyr2 arrived. 
 Since then it is almost in daily use. 
It rings for 20 seconds, when I switch it on, also rings for 10-15 seconds, if I touch it with something metal or hard material, or scratch or knock the sound knob. (This ringing can be heard only, when I stop the music, as it is not as loud as the switch on ringing.)
 Therefore I do not do such things with my Vali. I leave it alone, and just enjoy music. :)
(And turn the volume knob with my fingertips, avoiding knock it accidentally with my nail.) 
This ringing is normal, and absolutely not an issue. Schiit also writes about it on the product page.
So my advice is, not to mess with it, when you listen to music, just listen to your music. :wink:
It is such a tiny compromise, if you look at its value for price ratio... We could finally get over it. :)

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #4,434 of 4,971
I d
Mine despite being imported directly to me i think it's an early unit because im european. And schiit doesn't sell that much here in Europe i think (compared to USA at least). i looked inside the case with a flashlight and it doesn't seem to be upwards. However it's really weird considering im only getting the ringing on the right side. The left one is completely silent. I really do have to bang the case pretty "hard" (considering just a little touch does the job for the right channel) for it to ring. I do want to open it and see for myself. But i have it for less than a week so i won't open it. Worst case scenario ill ask for another unit.

My sennheiser HD560 Ovation II paired with my Macbook HP out are somewhat sibilant. The Vali tamed that to an extent. 

I don't get it, why are people trying to make it ring and then classing this as a deficiency in the amp?!? If you just listen to the music without thumping the amp or scratching it etc? It's like saying I really loke my new car but when I drive it into a lake it really doesn't perform well. Have we really all become this neurotic?

I got my Vali/Modi combo for Xmas and paired with my HD650'S is more than enough for me at the moment. It rings for 20 secs when I first turn it on and in no way affects my enjoyment of the amp. If I hit it repeatedly with a hammer this would most likely change, but why would I do this in the first place? It also can't make a toasted sandwhich but I love it anyway :smiley:

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #4,435 of 4,971
Got my second Vali and a Modi2 in this morning.  I bought the first Vali used, and it did have some ringing. It only did it when turning it on and changing phones.  I hooked up the new one and put it playing into my DT 880 Pros while at work to give it some burn in time.  I've been home for about an hour now swapping between my DT 880's and HD 600's several times.  This new one only rings if I plug the HPs in ham-fisted.  I guess they made some improvements over time.  I am going to A/B the Modi2 with an original Modi this weekend and see what how they compare.  Thanks for the wonderful products Schiit!

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #4,436 of 4,971
  Got my second Vali and a Modi2 in this morning.  I bought the first Vali used, and it did have some ringing. It only did it when turning it on and changing phones.  I hooked up the new one and put it playing into my DT 880 Pros while at work to give it some burn in time.  I've been home for about an hour now swapping between my DT 880's and HD 600's several times.  This new one only rings if I plug the HPs in ham-fisted.  I guess they made some improvements over time.  I am going to A/B the Modi2 with an original Modi this weekend and see what how they compare.  Thanks for the wonderful products Schiit!

Sounds like they might have improved the dampening inside. If you have a chance, could you open the unit and take some pictures?

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #4,438 of 4,971

Sounds like they might have improved the dampening inside. If you have a chance, could you open the unit and take some pictures?

Not going to open a brand new unit.  Maybe after a couple weeks.

Scardy cat. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #4,439 of 4,971
I d
I don't get it, why are people trying to make it ring and then classing this as a deficiency in the amp?!? If you just listen to the music without thumping the amp or scratching it etc? It's like saying I really loke my new car but when I drive it into a lake it really doesn't perform well. Have we really all become this neurotic?

I got my Vali/Modi combo for Xmas and paired with my HD650'S is more than enough for me at the moment. It rings for 20 secs when I first turn it on and in no way affects my enjoyment of the amp. If I hit it repeatedly with a hammer this would most likely change, but why would I do this in the first place? It also can't make a toasted sandwhich but I love it anyway :smiley:

What if i told you that it rings even when i speak a little louder. I am not neurotic but it bugs me when it rings. The first few days i got headaches from the ringing. 
I opened my unit and i saw the problem. The white foam doesn't stick to the board, so i need to find something to reglue the dampening foam to the board.

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #4,440 of 4,971
What if i told you that it rings even when i speak a little louder. I am not neurotic but it bugs me when it rings. The first few days i got headaches from the ringing. 
I opened my unit and i saw the problem. The white foam doesn't stick to the board, so i need to find something to reglue the dampening foam to the board.

Each to their own I suppose, maybe it's just not the right rig for you. Just wondering though, talking loudly is probably not something they were designed for bearing in mind they are a headphone amp after all. I appreciate that there does appear to be some units that are more affected than others though. I guess I just got lucky. No offence intended though :grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back