NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 15, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #4,441 of 4,971
Each to their own I suppose, maybe it's just not the right rig for you. Just wondering though, talking loudly is probably not something they were designed for bearing in mind they are a headphone amp after all. I appreciate that there does appear to be some units that are more affected than others though. I guess I just got lucky. No offence intended though :grinning:

I know man. No hard feelings =) I will keep the Vali in the meantime. Im digging the sound and i grow accustomed to the ringing so it doesn't bother me that much anymore. In the meantime i'm searching for ways to dampen the tubes.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #4,442 of 4,971

Sounds like they might have improved the dampening inside. If you have a chance, could you open the unit and take some pictures?

Not going to open a brand new unit.  Maybe after a couple weeks.

Fair enough. If / when you do, some of us older owners would certainly appreciate it. 

Scardy cat. 
biggrin.gif

lol

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #4,445 of 4,971
  I opened my unit and i saw the problem. The white foam doesn't stick to the board, so i need to find something to reglue the dampening foam to the board.

There are various "remedies" earlier in the thread, bending the leads so the tubes lie down on the foam being one that Schiit has adopted in production.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #4,446 of 4,971
I know man. No hard feelings =) I will keep the Vali in the meantime. Im digging the sound and i grow accustomed to the ringing so it doesn't bother me that much anymore. In the meantime i'm searching for ways to dampen the tubes.

Hey, just a thought from what you described earlier with a headache and ringing continuing after listening. What volume are you listening at? When I first got mine I got a bit carried away and listened for far too long far too loud. Afterwards I had a bit of tinnitus as a result. Now I dont listen with the volume pot past about 10 O'clock and this hasn't recurred. I was probably pushing nearer 3 O'clock when I experienced this.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #4,447 of 4,971
Anyone here has an idea how to swap the tubes of the Vali? I know Schiit says they will replace them for 20$, but from where I am from shipping will be a real hassle and expensive.

The tubes can be acquired really cheap over eBay. So was thinking if its not too hard can replace them myself when need be. (In 5-7 years) :p

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #4,448 of 4,971
Anyone here has an idea how to swap the tubes of the Vali? I know Schiit says they will replace them for 20$, but from where I am from shipping will be a real hassle and expensive.

The tubes can be acquired really cheap over eBay. So was thinking if its not too hard can replace them myself when need be. (In 5-7 years)
tongue.gif

Cut off wire legs and de solder the wires left on the board, then re install the new tube wire leads into holes you have just desoldered and solder new wires onto board. Quite straight forward but you need to get the wires in the correct position so best done one at a time. Mine are at about 10,000 hrs now and are still good.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #4,449 of 4,971
 Cut off wire legs and de solder the wires left on the board, then re install the new tube wire leads into holes you have just desoldered and solder new wires onto board. Quite straight forward but you need to get the wires in the correct position so best done one at a time. Mine are at about 10,000 hrs now and are still good.

Sounds very doable with average soldering skills. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #4,453 of 4,971
The Vali is noisier than say Schiit eqivalant solid state item but certainly not an issue to worry me with my MA900 which are 12 ohm but all valve amps are noisier, rarely is it an issue however for listening to music and that is no different for the Vali. It has other well known issues but these are well known.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #4,454 of 4,971
I actually own 2 Valis. I have an older one I picked up used and I just got my new Vali and Modi2 in this week. The new one seems less noisy than the older one, although it has gotten noisier throughout the burn in process. I can run my M50s with the newer one and don't hear the noise floor, but on the older one I do.  Of course on my HD600 and DT880 pro, dead silent on both amps. I am just looking for a comment from somebody who has tried the pairing before I drop the coin.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #4,455 of 4,971
Hey, just a thought from what you described earlier with a headache and ringing continuing after listening. What volume are you listening at? When I first got mine I got a bit carried away and listened for far too long far too loud. Afterwards I had a bit of tinnitus as a result. Now I dont listen with the volume pot past about 10 O'clock and this hasn't recurred. I was probably pushing nearer 3 O'clock when I experienced this.

Less then 12 o'clock for sure. In the beginning the amp was really not much louder. I feel it's getting louder by the day. Now i use to hear at 9 or 10 o'clock. Depends on the song of course. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back