New Teac HA-P50-B Portable DAC Amp
Feb 25, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #136 of 319
150a645bf7818f80d2ba415d5c09cd2b.jpg

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #137 of 319
5007ba11da61bb0caeecbc3e9abcb614.jpg

f6544571abba04631b8857b513fb1de9.jpg

Its been quite a while. A year or so I remember it displayed 96. But with my special testing file of 24 bits it gave me no sound back. I will retest soon.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #140 of 319
I’ve bought the Teac Ha-p50 and I ‘am happy with the sound quality.
It’s no possible to equalize in windows 8 but the apps have their own equalizer except Spotify. I’ve found the plugin Equalfy equalizer for spotify that works very well.
When I connect my Galaxy S4 the Teac charges the Phone. It’s very good when I plug the charger at the same time because it charges both. The problem is when I use with battery because the phone drains the battery of the Teac. It’s not an issue if the phone is full charged or at 90% because it not need to charge or  charge or a little for  going from 90% to 100% and maintain the 100%. In this situation I can Hear music for more than 4 hours and I finish with the phone at 100% and the Teac at 0%.
An issue that I don’t know if it is a problem of the phone or Teac is that sometimes the sound get off and the phone continue playing, after 15 seconds the sound continue. This problem happens in a period of about one Hour ¿Have anybody this issue with Android?

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #141 of 319
I want this for my iphone but also for portable PC use. Earlier message seems to say that it will only playback music using the player app when being used on the PC. Is it still true even after the firmware upgrades? I want something that will give me better sound across all media playback. If the Teac is limited to music, what other choice do I have in the same price range?

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #145 of 319
Thanks. Got confused by an earlier post that the person only got it to work using the player app. Turns out he did not set it as default audio out in the control panel.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #150 of 319
Just received mine a few days ago from Nagasaki Japan.

Smaller than I expected from photos. High quality materials, switches, and knobs throughout. I have 20-300ohm headphones in my collection and with the Lo/Hi gain switch this amp was a great fit with all of them. Even with my HD 600 (300ohm) I did not need to pass 11 o'clock on the volume dial with high gain. It can take power input from DC IN and use Micro USB for digital input at the same time (isolating power from the digital signal). So it can be used as a desktop or laptop sound card. It can also charge while in use with the single Micro USB input. Sound is a step up from on-board audio (Dell XPS 8700) for sure. But will not replace a middle to higher end full-size Hi-Fi desktop amp/dac. From my on-board audio it's more analytical and will reveal imperfections in recordings quite clearly. It does add a few DB to bass but other then that it's quite neutral. No hiss or hum is audible all the way up (very low noise floor). On bass heavy headphones like my DT 770 Pro 250ohm I found the bass boost a bit much, especially at high volumes. However, on my more neutral HD 600 the bass boost was quite pleasant. Either way you can adjust this through an equalizer to your liking. True plug and play on all my devices. Tested with the following:

-Windows 7, 8, 8.1
-Moto X 2013 with Android 4.4 Kitkat
-Moto G 1st gen with Android 5.0 Lolipop
-iPhone 6 Plus iOS 8

Seems the volume can't be changed on iOS 8, not sure about other versions. It's just fixed at max volume in the iPhone. Not a big deal since you can change it with the volume knob on the amp. In all Windows tests it pulls the driver from Windows Update with no problems. Android just works. Upgraded the firmware to latest version 1.24 without a problem. I can't comment on battery life as of yet. Tested the TEAC Hi-Fi app on Windows. It's got great sound but lacks alot of features. Particularly no EQ and lacks importing universal playlist files like m3u. Foobar200 has identical sound with way more features.

In Canada this is hard to find under $300. That being said it's not the best value for improving sound quality for a desktop setup. At $300 or so you can get a much better desktop amp/dac. But if you don't have enough right now for a desktop and mobile setup, this will still improve audio from desktops too. But if you already have an aftermarket sound card or very high end motherboard it likely wont improve anything outside of adding a bit of power through the amp. Highly recommended as a mobile amp/dac, but I would not pay more than $250 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back