New Sony DAPs
Oct 9, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #46 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by insicor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could also just be different ears. Because honestly I think the Touch has the worst resolution out of the three. Detailed metal tracks become kinda messy and blurred together.

The touch 2g? it takes everything I throw at it in stride, great texture and separation and speed. This is with shure E530. Well anyways the guys at generation mp3 have reviewed the new sony s series s730 and give it a 9 out of ten in sound and say it's an improvement over the a820 and has almost no hiss. I may have to check it out, that was the only compliant of my a818 was the hiss with my shures.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

Edit: I just ordered the 161 gig s739 from warehouse 123, I figure if it doesn't live up to my expectations I can return it. Less the 15% restocking fee
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #47 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah i think both Fuze & Clip do have the same sound chip, but then if you keep a flat EQ it's not so bright. Many people here seem to prefer a flat EQ on their Clip, i think it sounds muddy this way. With upped highs though (or simply Jazz mode) it gets absolutely stellar.

Ya I hardly ever use eq, never tested it on the fuse.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #48 of 99
I wonder what their definition of almost no hiss is, because using my E4cs and 638 there's fairly notable hiss, although it's only noticeable in silent surroundings, compared to the Touch 2G which is dead silent.

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #49 of 99
Quote:

I wonder what their definition of almost no hiss is, because using my E4cs and 638 there's fairly notable hiss, although it's only noticeable in silent surroundings, compared to the Touch 2G which is dead silent.

I'll let you know
atsmile.gif
I stand corrected on the touch also, I just tested it with some ozric tentacles "spirals in hyperspace" and the touch turned into a mush of sound. My zune kept things clear and distinct. The touch sounds detailed on individual notes and texture of instruments. But your right, when a lot gets going it falls apart
frown.gif
I guess I have been listening to some slower stuff lately
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #50 of 99
GRRRRRRRRRR, where is the 16gb S series on Sony Style in the US???? GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #51 of 99
Ok, to preface, I have just come across this thread and so have glance-read at least half of it so apologies if this has already been covered. Basically, I have owned an A-829 since its release here in the UK back in April/May. I am very happy with it. However, with a possible inclination to update/exchange somewhere in near future but more just out of general interest and thirst for understanding, what series is considered the flagship series in sony's walkman line? The S-series or A-series? Or are they on the same rung of the ladder, so to speak, but just alternate options in the same class field? Apart from a senseme gimmick, an FM-tuner, a slightly increased battery life, a version 2.0 USB connection, a slightly modified physical design, a slightly smaller screen than the A-series' equivalent and no bluetooth functionality this new S-series edition and the last installment to the A-series are pretty much identical. Irritating, considering, feasibly, sony could of just combined the pros of each into one better unit (ie an A-series model with the FM tuner, Sensme gimmick and USB 2.0 functionality). Also, if the S-series is considered the flagship as many here seem to refer to it as, supplanting the A-829/729, than why is it considerably cheaper than the A-829 model? Is it just the lack of bluetooth this price differential reflects as, otherwise, the S-series is the slightly better and more refined model on paper? Oh, also, when is this due for release in the UK?

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #52 of 99
The S series also has integrated podcast support, akin to an iPod or Zune, which happens to be a really big thing for me. It comes with a small app (tiny) that let's you drag and drop files straight from your iTunes library. I think it's already been released in the UK, but don't quote me on that. As for why it's cheaper, it's probably due to the reduced screen size, loss of bluetooth, and falling prices in flash memory.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #53 of 99
Quote:

The S series also has integrated podcast support, akin to an iPod or Zune, which happens to be a really big thing for me. It comes with a small app (tiny) that let's you drag and drop files straight from your iTunes library. I think it's already been released in the UK, but don't quote me on that. As for why it's cheaper, it's probably due to the reduced screen size, loss of bluetooth, and falling prices in flash memory.

Ah right, thanks for the info insicor!

They're a few more unique jewels in it's crown then, but, unlike you, not ones I'd have much use for, though I can appreciate their worth to what I'd imagine to be a large demographic.

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #54 of 99
S730 series in Australian Sony Pulse catalogue-$229/$289.

A720 is discontinued when the S730 series arrives here in November.

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #55 of 99
The 16GB S639 is now widely available in the UK. I saw it in Comet today (two colour schemes were available, a brushed metal black and the white/orange model). Unfortunately the unexpected and sudden death of my notebook meant I have to divert funds from any possible acquisition.
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #56 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 16GB S639 is now widely available in the UK. I saw it in Comet today (two colour schemes were available, a brushed metal black and the white/orange model). Unfortunately the unexpected and sudden death of my notebook meant I have to divert funds from any possible acquisition.
frown.gif

Yeah, I've priced it on amazon and play.com and its relatively cheap from both! I'm in the early to advanced stages of considereing selling my A-829 to fund a purchas of an S639
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Havn't weighed it up fully yet mind, nor checked any real reviews, thoughts or feelings on it, only going on the specs comparison.

Soz to hear about your notebook goin awry. Thats one item you take for granted so much until it breaks. My power module has just died but at least thats not too costly to replace/repair!

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #58 of 99
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 16GB Sony NWZ-S639F and ran a couple of RMAA tests on the headphone out. Here they are:

Sony NWZ-S639F RMAA results | .sav

Please note that the Walkman was NOT loaded by a 33 or 330 ohm dummy headphone load during testing. The only load the Walkman saw was the input impedance of the 1212M, which is 10K ohm. These results, then, don't reflect the performance of the player directly driving headphones. Rather, they only reflect what a device with a 10K ohm line-level input (such as a headphone amplifier with such an input impedance, say) would "see" at its input at best.

Also note that although the RMAA report states that polarity is "inverted/inverted", it is the input of the 1212M that is inverted rather than the output of the Walkman.

My testing method:

1) Generated a 44.1kHz, 16-bit .wav file in RMAA and transferred it to the NWZ-S639F using Windows Explorer.
2) In the NWZ-S639F, turned off AVLS, all "sound enhancement" and EQ settings under the "Music Settings" menu as well as context menu found by pressing the "Option" button while playing a song. Volume set to 30/30.
3) Created a session in E-MU PatchMix DSP with "I/O Card In 1L/1R" set to -10 and internal sample rate to 44.1kHz. Created a Physical Source "I/O Card In L/R" strip containing only a Trim Pot insert set at +12.00dB (otherwise the recording maxes out at -13.5dB/-13.7dB relative to 0dB) followed by an ASIO send to ASIO IN 1/2 to send the resulting stream to the recording application bit-perfectly.
4) Connected using a generic 3.5mm stereo mini to dual mono TS cable.
5) Recorded using Sony Sound Forge 9.0e with ASIO and no post-processing other than cutting.

I'm quite surprised by these results as they are absolutely stellar for an MP3 player. The noise floor is low, and the THD and IMD reminds me of the measurements of my old M-Audio Revolution 7.1.

My only concern is the bass boost <500Hz which ramps up to +1.25dB <200Hz, even when all sound enhancements and EQ are turned off. Is it some sort of DSP setting permanently set behind the user interface? It sort of looks like it, but who knows. To a lesser extent the 0.2dB channel imbalance irks me a bit, but a 0.2dB imbalance is hardly noticeable if at all.

All in all, great player. If only it had gapless playback, I'd love this thing.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #59 of 99
Quote:

The S series also has integrated podcast support...

Does that mean it'll save my spot on a podcast now? Also, the difference between the S6 and S7 models seems to be limited to the Integrated noise canceling system. Does that refer to the headphones/AV adapter alone or is there something else I'm missing?

NWZ-S638FREDWM

NWZ-S738FBNC

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #60 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that mean it'll save my spot on a podcast now? Also, the difference between the S6 and S7 models seems to be limited to the Integrated noise canceling system. Does that refer to the headphones/AV adapter alone or is there something else I'm missing?

NWZ-S638FREDWM

NWZ-S738FBNC

It would appear to be a similar scenario to the A720 and A820 series ie without or with bluetooth, respectively (though, in the UK, at least, we didn't see the A720 series).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back