New Sony DAPs
Oct 6, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #31 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right, but the features they use to demonstrate this are the same ones already incorporated in the A series (sound enhancements, EX headphones). you never know though, maybe they will sound better.

also that press release mentions the FM radio for the B series only, but on the website they claim the S series will also have FM. guess I'lll wait and see.

Yeah the S series has FM radio -- and it sounds fantastic! It picks up stations I didn't even know existed in my area lol

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #32 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_Anonymous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the S series has FM radio -- and it sounds fantastic! It picks up stations I didn't even know existed in my area lol

OK then. Looks like an oversight in the press release.

Really wish I knew these were coming before I got my A729.

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #33 of 99
Quote:

Really wish I knew these were coming before I got my A729.

I'd have never gotten the A829 myself. The 16gb model is calling my name BTW - selling my D2 & A829 to fund the purchase!!!
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #34 of 99
B series has been out in Australia for about 2 months now-no word on if the US will get this.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #36 of 99
Someone please bump this thread when the new S series is available in the US (or you see actual reviews of it, as opposed to just a release notice with the basic specs).

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #37 of 99
Quote:

Someone please bump this thread when the new S series is available in the US (or you see actual reviews of it, as opposed to just a release notice with the basic specs).

I am in the UK, but should recieve my 16GB S639 today. Will run a couple of tests and post a review on it. I will get some IEMs soon, testing will be with stock earphones that I heard are adequate...

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #38 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by batracom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the official Sony press release, that you can of course take with a pinch of salt, the new S series is the "best sounding Walkman ever"
Sony Europe Press Centre
Also I think that ClearStereo and ClearBass, which the E series don't have, can contribute to improving SQ considerably...

Sansa said the same thing when they released the Clip, and guess what i would give them a lot more of credit. I went back to the Clip now that i've sold my E346 (as i said i've been extremely desappointed by its power, its sound stage and its EQ compared to my old Vaio Pocket) and the Clip really murders it at every level. Sound is much richer, more lifelike too, all in all much better balanced. When i compared them with the same song it was like comparing with an iPod... so i don't think the clear bass would fix all this... as for clear stereo it only concerns FM radio.

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #39 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sansa said the same thing when they released the Clip, and guess what i would give them a lot more of credit. I went back to the Clip now that i've sold my E346 (as i said i've been extremely desappointed by its power, its sound stage and its EQ compared to my old Vaio Pocket) and the Clip really murders it at every level. Sound is much richer, more lifelike too, all in all much better balanced. When i compared them with the same song it was like comparing with an iPod... so i don't think the clear bass would fix all this... as for clear stereo it only concerns FM radio.

That quote was on the S series. You had the E series. You can't assume anything about the S series based on that.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #40 of 99
Quote:

That quote was on the S series. You had the E series. You can't assume anything about the S series based on that.

Yes i know... i'm gonna repeat myself but differences between the two series seem very tight except for audio enhancements. The S series is only 20€ more expensive (and does offer in-ear headphones on the other side) and has the same specs. And according to that french website i was quoting, the S series is just a little bit above the E series for SQ. So maybe it has a better SQ because of its construction, but you won't make me believe it can be so much better that it could equal my Vaio Pocket that beats the E430 to death... let's not even speak about the Clip.

ps: the Vaio is not technically a Walkman, so maybe it can't be compared to other Sony Walkman anyway...

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #41 of 99
I wish I still had my Clip so I could compare to my newly purchased S638, but from what I can remember the Clip sounds brighter. Although it has been a while so I could be completely off on that.
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #42 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by insicor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I still had my Clip so I could compare to my newly purchased S638, but from what I can remember the Clip sounds brighter. Although it has been a while so I could be completely off on that.
biggrin.gif

I confirm the Clip has a very bright sound, but compared to the E series it's also much much more detailed. Then maybe it might be a question of taste so you just have to try before spending your money.

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #43 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I confirm the Clip has a very bright sound, but compared to the E series it's also much much more detailed. Then maybe it might be a question of taste so you just have to try before spending your money.

I thought the fuse and the clip had the same sound chip? Because when I tried the fuse it sounded like it had less detail (I mean resolution not treble energy) than both my touch 2g and my a818. Both had more treble energy than the fuze. It did think it had a nice warm sound to it, but not my cup of tea
icon10.gif

Maybe the e series does suck? Or the fuze and clip are different.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #44 of 99
Could also just be different ears. Because honestly I think the Touch has the worst resolution out of the three. Detailed metal tracks become kinda messy and blurred together.

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #45 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the fuse and the clip had the same sound chip? Because when I tried the fuse it sounded like it had less detail (I mean resolution not treble energy) than both my touch 2g and my a818. Both had more treble energy than the fuze. It did think it had a nice warm sound to it, but not my cup of tea
icon10.gif

Maybe the e series does suck? Or the fuze and clip are different.

Yeah i think both Fuze & Clip do have the same sound chip, but then if you keep a flat EQ it's not so bright. Many people here seem to prefer a flat EQ on their Clip, i think it sounds muddy this way. With upped highs though (or simply Jazz mode) it gets absolutely stellar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back