New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #121 of 9,484
Firstwatt products are actually about innovation, have extremely good documentation and are made by hand in a small scale production setup. And you can make your own for cheap. But what's Firstwatt got to so with Schiit?

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #122 of 9,484
Quote:
Firstwatt products are actually about innovation, have extremely good documentation and are made by hand in a small scale production setup. And you can make your own for cheap. But what's Firstwatt got to so with Schiit?

you were complaining about there was only 60W while the J2 for example, only outputs 50W

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #123 of 9,484
Quote:
 And even though I'll probably be attacked for saying this, any perceived audio quality gain in a home setting is almost certainly placebic.

Yes and No, IMNSHO. You can have balanced cabling only, in which case I'd agree that any benefits probably aren't due to the three-wire set-up. But if all the internal electronics are truly in a balanced configuration (as with the Mjolnir) then I'll allow that might contribute to better sound. In other words, all else being equal, a real balanced amp should best a single-ended. Of course, all else is never equal, entirely.

Still, I'm saving for these bad boys, being the Schiithead I am.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #124 of 9,484
Quote:

Ok, I'll attack you!A home theatre system has:powerlinesspeaker cablesRF cablesdigital cablesanalog interconnects all in close proximitysound like a good application for balanced interconnect cabling?

Agreed, however that wasn't exactly what I meant. I was thinking more along the lines of the individuals who seem to think there is some sort of inherent sound quality gain in balanced cables over single ended cables. Differences in amps aside, balanced cables don't make your headphones sound "better" per se, they just reduce noise.

I guess one could argue that makes the headphone sound better, but that's an argument of semantics.

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #125 of 9,484
Quote:

Agreed, however that wasn't exactly what I meant. I was thinking more along the lines of the individuals who seem to think there is some sort of inherent sound quality gain in balanced cables over single ended cables. Differences in amps aside, balanced cables don't make your headphones sound "better" per se, they just reduce noise.

I guess one could argue that makes the headphone sound better, but that's an argument of semantics.

Most of what we argue about here are considered semantics.

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #126 of 9,484
Quote:

Most of what we argue about here are considered semantics inanities.

Fixed that for ya! Including myself in that characterization btw :wink:

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #127 of 9,484
Quote:

Fixed that for ya! Including myself in that characterization btw :wink:

Indeed 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #130 of 9,484
Yes and No, IMNSHO. You can have balanced cabling only, in which case I'd agree that any benefits probably aren't due to the three-wire set-up. But if all the internal electronics are truly in a balanced configuration (as with the Mjolnir) then I'll allow that might contribute to better sound. In other words, all else being equal, a real balanced amp should best a single-ended. Of course, all else is never equal, entirely.

Still, I'm saving for these bad boys, being the Schiithead I am.

Internallly balanced amps are also considered a bit of a con in some ways:if we are talking about two bridged amplifiers, then twice as many amps can have the potential for twice as much distortion, etc.
OTOH, an amp like the Pass Labs configuration uses "balancing" (or a differential amp) to cancel out distortion.
Ultimately the answer is: it depends............depends on circuit topology.

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #131 of 9,484
Quote:
Internallly balanced amps are also considered a bit of a con in some ways:if we are talking about two bridged amplifiers, then twice as many amps can have the potential for twice as much distortion, etc.
OTOH, an amp like the Pass Labs configuration uses "balancing" (or a differential amp) to cancel out distortion.
Ultimately the answer is: it depends............depends on circuit topology.

Implementation is everything.

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #132 of 9,484
Jun 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #133 of 9,484
Quote:
Is the Ragnarok a pure class A amplifier with a single trick power transistor per phase and I didn't know it? Because if it is, congrats. It's great value. :p

First go and stand on head for say 20 minutes. At least 20 minutes.

Then go to tubecad website and study up on tube circlotron circuits.
and read that say 20 or more times till you understand it.

Then lookup the sumo solid state circlotron and understand it.

Then look at the nelson pass version.

Then look at the mjolnir schematic.

Then extrapolate to a fully dc coupled version.

Then hope that schiit uses the alfet lateral mosfets or equivalent as the output devices.

Should make a killer executive desktop system with a pair of the mini maggies.
as a replacement for what I have at work now.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #135 of 9,484
First go and stand on head for say 20 minutes. At least 20 minutes.

Then go to tubecad website and study up on tube circlotron circuits.
and read that say 20 or more times till you understand it.

Then lookup the sumo solid state circlotron and understand it.

Then look at the nelson pass version.

Then look at the mjolnir schematic.

Then extrapolate to a fully dc coupled version.

Then hope that schiit uses the alfet lateral mosfets or equivalent as the output devices.

Should make a killer executive desktop system with a pair of the mini maggies.
as a replacement for what I have at work now.

And Bob's your uncle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back