New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 25, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #5,176 of 9,484
Any word on the Price of the Yggd and when will it be available for purchase? Looking for a good dac to pair with my LAu+Abyss/HE1K

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #5,177 of 9,484
  Leesure,
Question:
Are you using a PC or,a Mac?
If it's PC,did you use the USB connection,if so,,were there any issues?

Mike

I'm a Mac guy...but both USB and optical worked fine from the Mac.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #5,179 of 9,484
Mar 26, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #5,181 of 9,484
  Does anybody know if the first 10Watts of speaker ouput are Class A (Just like headphone) or the speaker output is A/B all the way?

Quote:
  To my understanding speaker outs are the same as bal hp outs.

It's the same to the speaker taps as the 4-pin (i.e. "yes"). With that said, I believe the bias is at ~4W, not ~10W.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #5,182 of 9,484
As you wish. Just wanted to say that there were a lot more points of view than yours as a Dac buyer. There are the Dac devs which prolly agree 100% with you ... there are the 3rd party driver devs who will completely disagree ... there are a few judges who look at monopoly trials.... and Microsoft who prolly couldnt care less about broken window fallacies.

Maybe you can look at more than your own view. Many other people have many other problems ... other than solving your wishes. Or maybe you know a way to make all those ppl happy.

P.S.
I'm no MS employee and not much of a fan. Just someone with 20+ years of software exp. MS deserves the blame for lots of things. *Maybe* not for this one.

USB 2 Audio is a standard. MS should support it. Especially when other OS's support it. Market-share/Monopoly/Legal issues are simply not part of this equation.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #5,183 of 9,484
Forget the pics, we know what it looks like. How does it sound? :D

Ahhhhhh...that. Well, I 'only' have about 5 hours of listening (in one night), but I can tell you that I shot an email to Jason complaining that he had ruined the listening experience for me with my other DAC's...including my beloved Gungnir.

The bass heft was significantly better without any bloat. The midrange was smooth like butter. The treble was there, but never sibilant.

At first, I feared this might be expectation bias, so I went back to the Gungnir and by comparison it sounded dry, brittle and 'digital'. Three words I never would have expected to use about the Gungnir.

This device is a stunning achievement. It ain't cheap, but it IS 'statement'.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #5,184 of 9,484
Ahhhhhh...that. Well, I 'only' have about 5 hours of listening (in one night), but I can tell you that I shot an email to Jason complaining that he had ruined the listening experience for me with my other DAC's...including my beloved Gungnir.

The bass heft was significantly better without any bloat. The midrange was smooth like butter. The treble was there, but never sibilant.

At first, I feared this might be expectation bias, so I went back to the Gungnir and by comparison it sounded dry, brittle and 'digital'. Three words I never would have expected to use about the Gungnir.

This device is a stunning achievement. It ain't cheap, but it IS 'statement'.

Thanks for sharing your impressions for the Yggdrasil, hearing your words, allows me to sleep easier, knowing, I am saving all my money, to get the yggy. June can not get here fast enough lol.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #5,186 of 9,484
Been searching for years for a DAC that can accomplish this correctly and still sound natural... Almost just drooled all over my phone.

I was shocked to hear the bass from my LCD-X's actually sound BETTER.  Didn't think that was possible.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #5,187 of 9,484
Thanks for sharing your impressions for the Yggdrasil, hearing your words, allows me to sleep easier, knowing, I am saving all my money, to get the yggy. June can not get here fast enough lol.

Agreed, the impressions from everyone have been really informative. Maybe a few more impressions will pop up after the SoCal event?
Been searching for years for a DAC that can accomplish this correctly and still sound natural... Almost just drooled all over my phone.

It feels a bit like the build up to Christmas when I was younger, the anticipation is really starting to get to me.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #5,189 of 9,484
  The Yggdrasil is currently in its production phase, and US price is $2,299. Initial run is expected to become available very shortly, likely in early April.

Mike posted that the first batch is down from 250 units to between 110 and 140 units due to a parts shortage. Given how quickly the first batch of Ragnarok disappeared. you must be feeling very optimistic if you think Yggy will be readily available from April - hopefully, it wont be as ludicrous as the wait time on a BHSE, but given that very little of this DAC appears to be 'off the shelf' parts I suspect there are some interesting times ahead.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #5,190 of 9,484
Damn it @estreeter, dont invoke that old chinese curse here! We're allowed to have some hope...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back