New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 27, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #5,206 of 9,484
Mar 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5,207 of 9,484
  I still need to work on the Windoze drivers problem. We need to experiment with the best way to off-load old/on load new or experimental drivers in a reproducible manner. We also need to verify that new drivers are even necessary. Generally speaking, Windoze drivers are quirky and unreliable, period. This will only affect Windoze pilgrims using USB2.

That's why i bought a sound card with SPDIF output! 

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #5,209 of 9,484
Yep I'm thinking some time next year. World ain't going to end if I don't get one now - although if it ends before I get my chance to hear one I might be a tiny bit disappointed :wink:

If the world ends before I hear the Yggdrasil, god and satan had better hide lol.

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #5,210 of 9,484

I still need to work on the Windoze drivers problem. We need to experiment with the best way to off-load old/on load new or experimental drivers in a reproducible manner. We also need to verify that new drivers are even necessary. Generally speaking, Windoze drivers are quirky and unreliable, period. This will only affect Windoze pilgrims using USB2.

That would give me an excuse to build a linux music server or get a mac laptop.  Not sure I want to pay the transition costs though.  Do foobar tags transfer?  Also, I hear mac laptops have their own USB noise issues, though I do have a Wyrd.  So far Windows 7 has worked for me, with some occasional problems interrupt problem from ethernet cards and browsers reloading (long story...I gave up on deugging this).

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #5,211 of 9,484
foobar tags don't always transfer, but linux has some other useful utilities to deal with this like musicbrainz etc. I think something like an rpi can do all the necessary duties for an mpd server

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #5,212 of 9,484

Is there native Linux USB support (no driver needed)? Then it will work with several existing network streamers.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5,213 of 9,484
  That would give me an excuse to build a linux music server or get a mac laptop.  Not sure I want to pay the transition costs though.  Do foobar tags transfer?  Also, I hear mac laptops have their own USB noise issues, though I do have a Wyrd.  So far Windows 7 has worked for me, with some occasional problems interrupt problem from ethernet cards and browsers reloading (long story...I gave up on deugging this).

Do not - and I repeat do not - buy the Mac laptop. My core i7 / 15" / 16GB MBP is easily the most expensive laptop I've ever owned and the USB port on the left hand side is an absolute joke. Apple, in true corporate fashion, decided that they knew best when it came to the number of USB ports on the sides of their laptops, just as they decided that removing optical drives was a good idea. Build the Linux music server or one of the CAPS V4 configurations - if nothing else, you will learn a hell of a lot. All I've learnt is that - movies and other graphic content aside - Macs are ridiculously overpriced compared to their competition. 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/section/c-p-s-489/

Inevitably, you will encounter web chatter where someone claims this server or that 'cremated' a CAPS machine - what you need to ask yourself is what the people involved learned in the process. I've built computers and it can be a hell of a lot of fun - end of the day, your choice. Good luck. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #5,214 of 9,484
Or better yet: A SOTM SMS-100, which runs linux. Buy a 9V linear regulated PSU and it is audiophile heaven. 
Any decent player can be used to stream to it on your favourite OS. I use JRiver w/DLNA.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #5,215 of 9,484

Do not - and I repeat do not - buy the Mac laptop. My core i7 / 15" / 16GB MBP is easily the most expensive laptop I've ever owned and the USB port on the left hand side is an absolute joke. Apple, in true corporate fashion, decided that they knew best when it came to the number of SUB ports on the sides of their laptops, just as they decided that removing optical drives was a good idea. Build the Linux music server or one of the CAPS V4 configurations - if nothing else, you will learn a hell of a lot. All I've learnt is that - movies and other graphic content aside - Macs are ridiculously overpriced compared to their competition. 

Inevitably, you will encounter web chatter where someone claims this server or that 'cremated' a CAPS machine - what you need to ask yourself is what the people involved learned in the process. I've built computers and it can be a hell of a lot of fun - end of the day, your choice. Good luck. 

I understand,that they're are a few options to circumvent the Widows driver problem,but has anyone given this one some thought,rather than buying an entire new mac?
This is what I may use on my Windows 7 machine.,changing the registry -no thanks..??,or,just wait ,for a new driver to appear ??
Option #3,here-
      http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems     
Am I missing something here??
Please correct me,if I'm wrong??

Mike 

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #5,216 of 9,484
No need to know anything in Linux to build a rock solid & user friendly audio server. Something like Daphile (optimized linux based audio server . it s based on the Logitech Squeezebox ecosystem too. lot of plugins and apps :wink: )  will perfectly do the job and there's even no need to install it as long as it works from a live USB. 

http://www.daphile.com/ 

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #5,217 of 9,484
Do not - and I repeat do not - buy the Mac laptop. My core i7 / 15" / 16GB MBP is easily the most expensive laptop I've ever owned and the USB port on the left hand side is an absolute joke. Apple, in true corporate fashion, decided that they knew best when it came to the number of USB ports on the sides of their laptops, just as they decided that removing optical drives was a good idea. Build the Linux music server or one of the CAPS V4 configurations - if nothing else, you will learn a hell of a lot. All I've learnt is that - movies and other graphic content aside - Macs are ridiculously overpriced compared to their competition. 

I agree with you 100 percent, and if I were still able too, I would build myself a good CAPS machine. But for now, I will wait and see what happens, before I get some type home computer. Right now, all I am using is a kindle.

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #5,219 of 9,484
RuneAudio running on an RPi with an I2S HAT providing S/PDIF will give you Bit Perfect output into any DAC.

Going through the I2S interface will remove the concerns about drivers, inconsistent USB power or USB bus polling issues.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #5,220 of 9,484
Yep I'm thinking some time next year. World ain't going to end if I don't get one now - although if it ends before I get my chance to hear one I might be a tiny bit disappointed
wink.gif

smile.gif
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back