New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jan 7, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #4,561 of 9,484
2299 is too high for a dac alone..
If they want sales, then that figure needs to come down or it will be a niche item for the well to do...
It's a pseudo-niche thing, like all statement products. Is competing with 8k stuff, so keep that in mind.

Posted a review in a little traveled place on the internet. It's competing above that price range. It's the best bargain in high end audio I've found. I told my wife I'm still getting a full MSB analog stack so she doesn't blink when I buy one when it is finally released and one later in the year for my work setup.

"Oh, I'm just trying to save us money. I figured $10k was too much to spend on one DAC! Look, I got two for half as much total!"

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #4,562 of 9,484

Can you please
have the decency to repost your review here
as some of the members here will
never find that other place, no matter how hard they
google it? I 
still don't exactly know what
the deal is here 
about these mysterious other places, but it
really annoys me
... I mean,
come
on people. Information should be freely available to everyone, regardless of
monetary or social standing.

sorry about th
e weird spacing, but my keyboard is acting up... time to e
xchange it.  Later, 
ya'll.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #4,563 of 9,484
Posted a review in a little traveled place on the internet. It's competing above that price range. It's the best bargain in high end audio I've found. I told my wife I'm still getting a full MSB analog stack so she doesn't blink when I buy one when it is finally released and one later in the year for my work setup.

"Oh, I'm just trying to save us money. I figured $10k was too much to spend on one DAC! Look, I got two for half as much total!"

I read that review/impression piece, it was a really good read. I mean, I've been sold on the Yggy since it was announced since I was so happy with a Bifrost and I had ballpark estimates on what my salary would be. The only problem I have right now is that I literally have nowhere to put it, my desk will literally collapse if I put the Yggy on it. Gotta start pricing out racks...

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #4,564 of 9,484
  I read that review/impression piece, it was a really good read. I mean, I've been sold on the Yggy since it was announced since I was so happy with a Bifrost and I had ballpark estimates on what my salary would be. The only problem I have right now is that I literally have nowhere to put it, my desk will literally collapse if I put the Yggy on it. Gotta start pricing out racks...

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words.

As far as weight, I mean, it felt less than 30 lbs. Even the rickety desks I've used could take that :). Heck, run it on the floor until you have something sturdier.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #4,565 of 9,484
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words.

As far as weight, I mean, it felt less than 30 lbs. Even the rickety desks I've used could take that :). Heck, run it on the floor until you have something sturdier.
I thought about that, but there's not much room down there because of the full tower PC and the old psaudio Power center. Regardless, I'll figure something out :)

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #4,566 of 9,484
I thought about that, but there's not much room down there because of the full tower PC and the old psaudio Power center. Regardless, I'll figure something out
smily_headphones1.gif

replace that big ol honking tower with a mini itx system. I did it before there were enthusiast small cases by gutting a lian li QC25. I have a 3770k @ 4.5GHz and a GTX 980 SC in there with room to spare.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #4,567 of 9,484
 replace that big ol honking tower with a mini itx system. I did it before there were enthusiast small cases by gutting a lian li QC25. I have a 3770k @ 4.5GHz and a GTX 980 SC in there with room to spare.
Unfortunately I need the space for drives and the ram, I do serious stuff with that pc. And sadly it would be impractical for a nas to replace the storage, cheap has boxes don't have enough bays, bigger nas severs are too big to put next to the router. When I get a house, the situation will change, but that's a 5-10 year plan.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #4,569 of 9,484

point the way please - Changster? 

It is indeed

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #4,570 of 9,484

The MSB is not ultra resolving. It's selling points are: smooth, tone and dynamic. I plan to get the Yggy to complement the MSB... But I need to sell a kidney or maybe the SR009 first.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #4,571 of 9,484

The MSB is not ultra resolving. It's selling points are: smooth, tone and dynamic. I plan to get the Yggy to complement the MSB... But I need to sell a kidney or maybe the SR009 first.

The Yggdrasil is an incredibly musical DAC. It shares in the R2R strengths of the MSB, including an incredible smoothness, great tone, a full bodied sound, and wonderful bass slam. It also happens to be detailed as all heck, too.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #4,572 of 9,484
I truly HATE the people who have heard the Yggdrasil. Only superlatives ensue from them about how it's super detailed yet is smooth, dynamic, has great body, holographic soundtsage, spacious, tremendous bass slam. Somebody say it's horrible PLEASE!! Otherwise i have to buy it. AArgh!!

I hate head-fi.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #4,573 of 9,484
Read the (p)review on the internet and you'll see more plain comparisons to get a sense of the sound. I promise it'll be a less ambiguous look at the sound.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #4,574 of 9,484
The Yggdrasil is an incredibly musical DAC. It shares in the R2R strengths of the MSB, including an incredible smoothness, great tone, a full bodied sound, and wonderful bass slam. It also happens to be detailed as all heck, too.

So you mean to say it might simply replace the MSB? 
I don't mind that. Will save me money in the long run :)

As we speak I am thinking the MSB is really quite lacking in details especially if things get a bit complex.

Guys, no harm just buying the Yggy to test whether the superlatives are true. Schiit has a return policy, does it not? We will know in months - or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back