[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Apr 11, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #5,416 of 5,962
I don't have measurements for the X2 cup dimensions, but my ears fit in them better and there is more room than with my X1's. Overall they are just more comfortable, especially with the larger allowance of space between the suspension band and the top leather band.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #5,417 of 5,962
Can You just please measure them both, X1 and X2 ? Please, because You are creating confusion claiming them being different size!

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #5,420 of 5,962
I just got my new X1s and tried them on. Hmm.. They are definitely a bit bassy (much more than I had anticipated) and it seems to take away from the rest of the frequency spectrum. I will try to burn them in and give them a listen later. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #5,421 of 5,962
  ...and it seems to take away from the rest of the frequency spectrum. 

Maybe it`s just too much bass for Your taste. Bass shouldn`t bleed into other frequencies in case of X1. Also, try with another aftermarket low-impedance cable.

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #5,422 of 5,962
  Maybe it`s just too much bass for Your taste. Bass shouldn`t bleed into other frequencies in case of X1. Also, try with another aftermarket low-impedance cable.

I have the vmoda cable. I had it ordered at the same time hearing all the complaints about the stock version. I did come from SHP9500 which is very bass neutral, but I also own DT990 and ATH-50, both which are bass heavy. But boy, this trumps them all :)

Do you think any burn-in would make it any better?

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #5,423 of 5,962
I don't feel like the X1s are super bassy, maybe you've just been listening to stuff with not as much bass? Don't get me wrong, the X1s totally have a damn good amount of bass but I don't feel like it's to the point of overpowering some of the other spectrums. The rest of the range still sound present to me.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #5,424 of 5,962
Same here. Are You using any amp or gain settings with Your source? Let them burn littlebit. Best sound is achieved after about 150h playtime.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #5,425 of 5,962
  Same here. Are You using any amp or gain settings with Your source? Let them burn littlebit. Best sound is achieved after about 150h playtime.

Yeah, i will burn them a bit. I have the Yulong D100 DAC/amp combo and also the upgraded little dot+ (that I might be putting up for sale since Yulong does the job very well). 

I guess your ears get trained to listen to a certain type of sound and immediately notice the difference when you hear a different speaker or headphones. I think that is whats happening to me here. I really want to love this headphone as I have had my heart set on it based on all the positive reviews. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #5,426 of 5,962
Well, imho X1 pairs very well with tube amp or tube buffered dac. With proper tube it sounds amazing. I have Siemens E88CC grey shield goldpin tube in my modified Aune T1 which is match made in heaven for X1 imho. It keeps X1 bass tamed and result is very balanced and neutral sound with little hint of warmth and littlebit smoothed highs. Soundstage is just huge with great layering, imaging and separation.
Just love this setup soooo much
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #5,427 of 5,962
Even if you don't have the amps like @CoiL's running (ya know, tube amps or tube-buffered dacs) they still sound pretty good with an SS amp. I've got mine running through Topping D20/TP30MkII stack and they sound fantastic. @musaji, you must be coming from something with significantly less bass response. I run between Senn HD600s and the X1s and while the X1s clearly have boosted bass, I didn't think it's a huge amount more. I actually expected there to be more bass than there actually was before I got a pair to listen to. Good sounding cans from Philips here with stellar build quality. Feels like I'm being hugged with music
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #5,428 of 5,962
@Midgetguy, you are correct. I have been mainly comparing them to DT990 which I'd like to think is in the same league. Another thing I noticed about them is that they feel more like closed cans and clamp a bit harder than other open cans. They do feel premium and have that new leather smell. 

So far the verdict is still out there. Its either a matter of burn in (150 hours), getting used to their sound or simply not liking them at all.Lets see. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #5,429 of 5,962
In which way are you feeling like they're closed cans @musaji? Like in terms of the physical fit? Because I don't think of them as closed at all. They have fantastic soundstage (for instruments anyway, vocals are oddly far more intimate). I'd say they feel a little more open than the HD600s I rotate between. A little less clamping force too, though Senns have been known to be a bit clampy.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #5,430 of 5,962
  @Midgetguy, you are correct. I have been mainly comparing them to DT990 which I'd like to think is in the same league. Another thing I noticed about them is that they feel more like closed cans and clamp a bit harder than other open cans. They do feel premium and have that new leather smell. 

So far the verdict is still out there. Its either a matter of burn in (150 hours), getting used to their sound or simply not liking them at all.Lets see. 

I always find it very interesting when I hear people mention that the ATH-M50's are bass heavy headphones. Makes me realize over and over again that we all hear differently and have our own tastes. Obviously, I don't think so but others do. 

No matter how many hours of burn in you complete, I am of the opinion that if you don't like what you are hearing initially, you probably won't like it after x amount of hours of burn in. YMMV but it is my opinion and others will disagree. I didn't find the X1's to change significantly after so many hours. In fact, my wife bought a new pair and I briefly compared my 1 year old pair with her brand new one on my SS amp and they both sounded pretty similar to me.

Now "getting used to their sound" is probably something different...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back