[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Apr 9, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #5,402 of 5,962
  I earlier placed the order for the boring black one. I now regret it (especially after seeing the pics) and should have gone for the red ones ... 

You can always make Your own cable like mine on that pic. It`s not expensive, just need some basic soldering skill and know-how to wrap paracord around core.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #5,403 of 5,962
Yeah I could do that too. I can solder but it also comes down to how cost effective it would have been after separately getting all the parts. It was an impulse decision to simply just get it done. :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #5,405 of 5,962
  I just got a pair of X1's in a trade and have to say, they sound nice BUT the pads are terrible. They're soft and pokey/scratchy at the same time. 

Just wash them once or use towel with hot water to wipe it. That "scratchy" velour will go away :wink: And it takes some time for memory foam to settle into shape. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #5,407 of 5,962
  Just wash them once or use towel with hot water to wipe it. That "scratchy" velour will go away :wink: And it takes some time for memory foam to settle into shape. 

The scratchiness actually got worse with time on my X1's. I now have the X2's and I find their pads to be softer and have less of that stiff & "cold" memory foam feel.

The X2's are more comfortable to wear for short periods (1-2 hours), but I find my head was less fatigued during longer listening sessions with the X1's even though the cups are smaller and overall less comfortable. By head fatigue I mean soreness/stiffness of my neck.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #5,408 of 5,962

The scratchiness actually got worse with time on my X1's.

That`s weird that "scratchiness" didn`t went away. Mine are very soft now (velour) and no itchy/scratchy feeling. 

...even though the cups are smaller and overall less comfortable. 

Really? X1 cups are smaller than X2? Can You please make pictures and measure both. So far I haven`t seen anyone saying that.
As much as I know they should be 1:1 same size and even pad locking pins should fit.

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #5,409 of 5,962
Ugh, I woke up to find my X1s lying on the floor in my office.
I had them hanging on a hook that broke.
One of the screws that connects the ear pad came out in half so I can't screw it back in.
They still work and sound great, the ear pad will hang a little limp when they are not on my head.
Not sure what I can do to repair, especially when half the screw is inside.

One thing that I am perplexed by.
Looking at the right earcup, I see it hanging only by that one screw.
It looks like if I took out that screw, the earcup/pad would come right out.
But then, where is the wire?  I see none.  Blows my mind.
I have no idea how that side gets its audio unless it is being routed through that screw but I doubt it.
I'll add a picture if anyone is interested.

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #5,410 of 5,962
Yes, there is a wire, it`s not magic.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #5,411 of 5,962
Over in the X2 thread, two people have confirmed that the Fidelio X2 has now also been discontinued. Unfortunate to see the Fidelio line has come to an end. Not sure what Philips is thinking right now, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #5,413 of 5,962
Now I feel like I have to buy the X2 before they are gone, even though I am fine with my X1's.

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #5,415 of 5,962
  Now I feel like I have to buy the X2 before they are gone, even though I am fine with my X1's.

Either that or another pair of X1 which are also getting quite rare (as new).

But that`s really sad to hear they are pulling out of hi-fi headphones area. It sounds stupid actually after they put so much effort to sound research program specially developed to this area.

...even though the cups are smaller and overall less comfortable. 

Really? X1 cups are smaller than X2? Can You please make pictures and measure both. So far I haven`t seen anyone saying that.
As much as I know they should be 1:1 same size and even pad locking pins should fit.

Any update on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back