[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Nov 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #3,121 of 5,962
I asked HeadFi members who own the Fidelio X1 to rate and comment on the sound quality of the X1 when used with different DACs/amps, portable music players etc.
The results of the survey I conducted are shown here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689313/dac-amp-for-fidelio-x1-ratings-and-recommendations-compilation-thread

If you have not taken part in the survey and would like to add SQ ratings and/or comments of devices you have used with the X1, please PM me or write it in the above thread and I'll add it to the table. I am planning on updating this thread periodically so that it will serve as a reference for current and future owners of the X1.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #3,122 of 5,962
Was just on eBay and noticed that every X1 I saw was listed well above street and retail pricing. Wonder if this is because they're starting become harder to find.

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #3,123 of 5,962
Absolutely fantastic PTom and thank you. An invaluable survey, and I would hope to see more of them here on Head-Fi for other headphones. A little bit confusing when you analyse it all, but then it's multiple opinions using different baselines in SQ.

Chicolom > maybe you could put a link on your X1 review thread on the front-page. The OP of this thread isn't on anymore.
*Edit* Sent him a PM.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #3,124 of 5,962
While my ratings with the AMP/DAC combo may seem low, I can honestly say that it is difficult for me to listen to anything without it. Music is much crisper and the sound is much fuller with VERZA. I just love the portability and the ability to charge my devices with it. It goes with me every where I go. Unfortunately the X1 doesn't.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #3,125 of 5,962
The OP of this thread isn't on anymore.

Hmm...it says he was online yesterday?

Maybe you could PM him asking him to put it on first post....

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #3,126 of 5,962
  Was just on eBay and noticed that every X1 I saw was listed well above street and retail pricing. Wonder if this is because they're starting become harder to find.

I know

Dont understand it either. Amazon still lists them at $300 though. Im keeping a close eye on the prices. Really hoping for some kind of black friday discount.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #3,127 of 5,962
  I know

Dont understand it either. Amazon still lists them at $300 though. Im keeping a close eye on the prices. Really hoping for some kind of black friday discount.

The first thing I thought when I started looking at the various prices there was "wow, I can't believe these are listed so high"

Regarding the X1s... I've physically owned them for almost two weeks, but up untill tonight, haven't been able to put much time into a listening session with them. Currently listening to Markus Schulz's Buenos Aries '13 compilation. Still coming to grips with how great these sound with electronic music. Never thought base could be so good with open cans. Good base w/ a great soundstage. My only concern is the pads have been a bit itchy. I'm thankfully starting to become a little more used to them though.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #3,129 of 5,962
  ^ Welp if anyone is interested in buying my good as new set of X1s, i am selling them along with the Zu Mission cable.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643666/budget-fi-iem-jvc-fxz200-philips-fidelio-x1-rha-ma350-vsonic-vc02-sale-all-must-go

They still have that sock mod, so the pads are pretty much in pristine condition. :)

pm'ing you right away

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #3,130 of 5,962
Hello to all. I am from Austria, so please excuse any grammer errors and my not that excellent English in general. I own the X1 for three weeks now and I am stunned. They are amazing and in my opinion will go down as the reference of their price range. 

I am no adiophile, but I like good sound. Besides the Philips X1, I own the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium, the Sennheiser HD-650 and the AKG K-701. I also have listend to the Beyer T-90, the Senn HD-800, the AKG K-712, the Grado SR-325is, Hifiman HE-500 and some of the higher priced Denons. I will only compare the X1 to the phones I own though, as it would not be fair to make comparisons with cans I can ony judge from memory. 

First thing I want to mention: As with all top-notch cans, the Fidelio need a good burn-in. They sound okay out of the box, but give them a few weeks of work and they will really start to shine. I thought them to be great from the get go, but now, three weeks after I purchased them, they open up, the sounstage widens and they become incredible detailed too. They are not only lovely warm and "musical", but they show me stuff I never had heared with my other cans. 

In short: In my opinion, the X1 are easily as good as the DT990 and the HD-650 and better than the K-701. The AKG are generally not my cup of tea, they are too liveless and cold to my ears. The X1 mange a powerfull bass presentation while not letting the bass leak all over the place and without neglecting the mids and treble. In fact, the Philips give the best mix of soundstage, bass, mids and highs I ever heard in headphones in that price range, and really far beyond it. Of course many will not like to hear that, but I think the X1 really should be compared to models costing from 500 Dollar upward, as it playes in the league of the Beyer T-90, The Senns HD-800, Hifiman HE-500 and several top Grados. 

But returning to the price range I´d say that to my ears, the best two are the Beyer DT-990 and the Philips X1. For my tastes, the Sennheister HD-650 is a bit too laid back and too dark, while the AKG sound way to cold and dead. The DTs have lovely mids, a thing that sets them apart from many other cans and the reason why I will still give them some "screen time" on my ears. But the X1 are overall a much better package. Incredible value for the buck. Downsides? well of course the pads are not replaceble, and that sucks, but on the other hand, I never replaced any pads before on any other headphones, so I am positive I can go with the standard.pads here and be happy for several years. And yes, at first listen, some might find the bass a bit too much, but as I said, give them some burn-in time, and you´ll expierence a much more balanced sound. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3,131 of 5,962
Hi everyone,
I would like to improve the sound i get from my new macbook air with the philips x1 a bit as well as getting speakers (audioengine a5) to use with this seem machine. So i need a usb dac/headphoneamp/lineout.
I have heard good stories in this thread about the fiio e17. Can i use that through its usb connection (so not using the battery)?
Also, since i am blind and have never used a fiio product before I am a bit hesistant to just buy this one since apparently input / output switching requires you to go through a menu. 
I have used ibasso products before and they contain autoswitching circuitry. But they are of course a lot more expensive.
Any advice (if this would be doable, i can memorize menus if they are the seem each time) or alternatives would be welcome!
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #3,132 of 5,962
Hi everyone,
I would like to improve the sound i get from my new macbook air with the philips x1 a bit as well as getting speakers (audioengine a5) to use with this seem machine. So i need a usb dac/headphoneamp/lineout.
I have heard good stories in this thread about the fiio e17. Can i use that through its usb connection (so not using the battery)?
Also, since i am blind and have never used a fiio product before I am a bit hesistant to just buy this one since apparently input / output switching requires you to go through a menu. 
I have used ibasso products before and they contain autoswitching circuitry. But they are of course a lot more expensive.
Any advice (if this would be doable, i can memorize menus if they are the seem each time) or alternatives would be welcome!
Greetings, Anouk,

The Aune T1 is a DAC / headphone amp / line out. Should work for your needs. The headphone amp and line out work simultaneously. It sounds at least as good as the e17, if not better.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #3,133 of 5,962
The Aune T1 is a DAC / headphone amp / line out. Should work for your needs. The headphone amp and line out work simultaneously. It sounds at least as good as the e17, if not better.

Did you manage to try it out then? I remember you mentioned you would be able to test it out soon? Is it as good as the sound blaster Z + starlight?

I ended up getting the FiiO E17 but I'm not sure it's worth it. It does sound a bit better (if I concentrate) when listening to well mastered albums (and probably worse when listening to poorly mastered albums) but I like rock music and the increased clarity seems to highlight the distortion used by electric guitarists which I'm finding makes the whole experience less enjoyable. But I only got it yesterday so I need to test it out more before I make any firm conclusions.

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #3,134 of 5,962
Hello,
Yes! I read for the first time about this amp/dac  yesterday.
I thought that it had a headphone amp and preamp and no line level output (so just volume controlled outputs). The spec page seems a bit vague at time sthough. Are there any reviews of this dac out there? It seems to be relatively unknown.
Does it come with internal battery or just work off bus-power?
How much does it cost and where can you get it?
Thanks!
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back