[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #2,926 of 5,962
Folks from Philips say they're happy with the X1's sound, but are considering a revision with...replaceable pads!!

That's great! 

That's the #1 complaint with the X1, so a revision would be greatly appreciated.  I know the non-replaceable pads have lost them potential sales in some cases, so it should be worth their while.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2,927 of 5,962
  That's great!

That's the #1 complaint with the X1, so a revision would be greatly appreciated.  I know the non-replaceable pads have lost them potential sales in some cases, so it should be worth their while.

Exactly chicolom,  .. but who know's when these'll come out? Maybe they'll announce the arrival of the revision next week or in 6 or more months. I'm still going to order a set soonish when I get the cash together for my setup. And I just know that when I order them they'll announce a week later.....
confused_face_2.gif

Pity Ethan didn't ask too about the size issues on the X1 for the larger headed and more neolithic of Head-Fi'ers here. Anyways - good news.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2,928 of 5,962
That's great! 

Sorry to go OT for a sec, but Chico, I know you've been thinking about the hd800. Today was my first listen and I love them. They are the most open sounding and the most natural sounding phones I've heard. They are an upgrade to the T90 in every way, and also they're very comfortable. There was still a slight pronouncement of treble that wasn't perfect to my ears, but overall, wonderful.
Edit: also found them very musical and not "analytical" as many label them, but could have to do with the ALO studio six they were plugged into.

Now, back on topic - I gave the X1 a quick listen in the middle of testing so many amazing high-end phones - and it held its own. Nobody need have buyers remorse with these, aside from fit issues.

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,929 of 5,962
  Pity Ethan didn't ask too about the size issues on the X1 for the larger headed and more neolithic of Head-Fi'ers here. Anyways - good news.

I measure about 62cm just above the ears, which gives me trouble with things like renting helmets, but have no problem fitting these. I guess I'm lucky with the shape of the dome above the ears. And, I suppose an ear-to-ear measurement across the head would be more accurate than circumference.

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #2,930 of 5,962

I measure about 62cm just above the ears, which gives me trouble with things like renting helmets, but have no problem fitting these. I guess I'm lucky with the shape of the dome above the ears. And, I suppose an ear-to-ear measurement across the head would be more accurate than circumference.

That's interesting, I am about 59 cm around the head just above the top of the ear. But more importantly I am about 45 cm measured from the bottom of my ear over my head were a headband would be to the bottom of the other side of my ear and I could not get the X1's to sit comfortably on my ears. I also have quite small ears, could be good or bad.

That is literally the only reason I did not keep the X1's, the non user replaceable earpads were kind of a bummer but I could work around that.

If these new updated versions of the X1 indeed come out, and have replaceable pads...and more importantly (for me) a traditional extending headband like the L1 for example or 95% of all other headbands I would gladly own them.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,931 of 5,962
kcee - anodyne .. not completely sure if you both own these (your posts suggest you don't yet), but Innerfidelity showed how to compress the headband gently into a V-shape to give a more acceptable fit for the larger headed out there (engaging reviewer -he clearly knows his crap all right). Also I think somebody showed a few pictures here on this thread.

ethan7000 - so jealous you got to go to an event like that, getting to compare all the phones on your wishlist. Glad to see the X1 held up pretty well.

*Edit* anodyne - you truly are a caveman with measurements like that - just measured myself - nowhere near (and my GF just had to walk in on me with a tape bloody measure around my head - could have been worse).

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2,932 of 5,962
Folks from Philips say they're happy with the X1's sound, but are considering a revision with...replaceable pads!!

That is a great news, but hoping its still a velour, not leather. Also better cable jack please...
I also envy you, having cans event. I don't think we have such exhibition in HK or China.
Btw, that looks exactly like my current cans stand... Bought it for 5 Usd in China...

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2,933 of 5,962
kcee - anodyne .. not completely sure if you both own these (your posts suggest you don't yet), but Innerfidelity showed how to compress the headband gently into a V-shape to give a more acceptable fit for the larger headed out there (engaging reviewer -he clearly knows his crap all right). Also I think somebody showed a few pictures here on this thread.

ethan7000 - so jealous you got to go to an event like that, getting to compare all the phones on your wishlist. Glad to see the X1 held up pretty well.

*Edit* anodyne - you truly are a caveman with measurements like that - just measured myself - nowhere near (and my GF just had to walk in on me with a tape bloody measure around my head - could have been worse).

Since you're showing his vid, here's another pic from today :D

BTW, if anyone has questions about any headphones, including the L2, I tried most of the popular ones today, ask me while my thoughts are fresh and before I forget lol
Edit: Same shirt LOL

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #2,936 of 5,962

Yes I have seen this video, I did attempt to compress the headband but I did not want to be too rough with it in case I wanted to return it.
It's odd because i have not had a headphone that I could not get to fit right...I chalked it up to elastic headband not jiving well with my head. The first time I have tried a headband like that. Not really a fan of that idea anyways, headphones have been made successfully a certain way when it comes to adjustability for a long time don't see the need to attempt to change that.

Anyways I will keep my eye peeled for that X2 or whatever they call the next X1.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #2,938 of 5,962
Hmm.. thats strange..
Anyway, hope Philips release X2 later with good improvements.
Btw Chico, if the x1 bass QTY is 85, how much is the k712? Hoping its around 7... Still waiting for your review and comparison :D

By the way it sounded there will not be an X2, just an X1 revision. Though they mentioned the treble being the only area they weren't fully satisfied with - but they said that improving it would price it out of where they want it, securely in mid-fi.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2,939 of 5,962
By the way it sounded there will not be an X2, just an X1 revision. Though they mentioned the treble being the only area they weren't fully satisfied with - but they said that improving it would price it out of where they want it, securely in mid-fi.

So its an X1 mk2...
Philips, why U no take your time to develop X2 instead of just a revision...
Well, the X1 bass is a little too much imo. They need to control it more.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,940 of 5,962
So its an X1 mk2...
Philips, why U no take your time to develop X2 instead of just a revision...
Well, the X1 bass is a little too much imo. They need to control it more.

Because they're happy with the sound, justifiably IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back