[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #2,942 of 5,962
Sorry to go OT for a sec, but Chico, I know you've been thinking about the hd800. Today was my first listen and I love them. They are the most open sounding and the most natural sounding phones I've heard. They are an upgrade to the T90 in every way, and also they're very comfortable. There was still a slight pronouncement of treble that wasn't perfect to my ears, but overall, wonderful.
Edit: also found them very musical and not "analytical" as many label them, but could have to do with the ALO studio six they were plugged into.

Thanks.

The three headphones I'm interested in right now are the H800, K812, and TH600.  My long term goal is to have either an HD800 or K812 as my primary can with a TH600 as a complimentary fun can.  I think I'd be set with those. 

BTW, do you think the TH600 makes the X1 redundant?  The X1 is sort of a poor-mans TH600, so I'm keeping it in the meantime.  I now the X1 is warmer sounding, but they both have some "U" shape to them with nice soundstages.

In the meantime - Spoiler alert - the next headphone I get is either going to be the HD800 or K812.

No, AKG was conspicuously absent

That's a bummer.  I was hoping the K812 would be there and we'd get more impressions on them.

I'm dying for some HD800 vs K812 comparisons.

Btw Chico, if the x1 bass QTY is 85, how much is the k712? Hoping its around 7... Still waiting for your review and comparison
biggrin.gif

Maybe slightly more than 7, but yeah somewhere around there.  The K712 has just slightly more bass than the Anniversary.

Is there anything in particular your wondering about in a comparison? 
Because...  http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2805#post_9848747

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2,943 of 5,962
Chico, I don't know yet, I need to have them both for a while. My inclination is to say no, I do think they sound different despite a similar FR. I might prefer to throw something like an Allison Krauss track on with X1. I'll keep you updated. I do think a TH600 and a HD800 would be a beautiful set, though I would add a HE500 for that special thick planar sound. Those would be my 3 choices for cans to own, but I haven't heard the K812 of course.

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #2,944 of 5,962

Maybe slightly more than 7, but yeah somewhere around there.  The K712 has just slightly more bass than the Anniversary.

Is there anything in particular your wondering about in a comparison? 
Because...  http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2805#post_9848747

If its 7-75 then its on my bass comfort level... Since I decided my next cans is gonna be K712 or HD650. But I wait airy sound, so leaning towards the AKG. Hoping next year, the pricing is not stupid overpriced...
Yes, I read the review long time ago. Basically agreed with your review. I just need to know the bass qty for the k712, based on X1 qty. Is it forward sounding like the X1 or more laid back?
I might go to my local shop and get the Aune X1 today
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #2,945 of 5,962

The three headphones I'm interested in right now are the H800, K812, and TH600.  My long term goal is to have either an HD800 or K812 as my primary can with a TH600 as a complimentary fun can.  I think I'd be set with those. 

Chico, I don't know yet, I need to have them both for a while. My inclination is to say no, I do think they sound different despite a similar FR. I might prefer to throw something like an Allison Krauss track on with X1. I'll keep you updated. I do think a TH600 and a HD800 would be a beautiful set, though I would add a HE500 for that special thick planar sound. Those would be my 3 choices for cans to own, but I haven't heard the K812 of course.

I think that I should block you guys - you're putting wicked evil expensive thoughts in my mind lol!

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #2,946 of 5,962
  If its 7-75 then its on my bass comfort level... Since I decided my next cans is gonna be K712 or HD650. But I wait airy sound, so leaning towards the AKG. Hoping next year, the pricing is not stupid overpriced...
Yes, I read the review long time ago. Basically agreed with your review. I just need to know the bass qty for the k712, based on X1 qty. Is it forward sounding like the X1 or more laid back?
I might go to my local shop and get the Aune X1 today
biggrin.gif

I prefer the K712 over the HD650. 

The X1 has some more bass emphasis, no doubt.  On the K712 it isn't as emphasized and the bass is more in line, but it's still nice.   K712 has more bass than HD650.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2,947 of 5,962

The X1 has some more bass emphasis, no doubt.  On the K712 it isn't as emphasized and the bass is more in line, but it's still nice.   K712 has more bass than HD650.

Good for me then... Hoping next year the k712 here will drop below USD 500 pricing...
Also, if the aune x1 is rated for 32-600ohm impendance, will it harm the 30ohm x1?

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #2,949 of 5,962

Good for me then... Hoping next year the k712 here will drop below USD 500 pricing...
Also, if the aune x1 is rated for 32-600ohm impendance, will it harm the 30ohm x1?

I'm guessing you mean the T1? And no, it won't harm the X1.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #2,951 of 5,962
Thanks for the reply. So the amp min impendance rate will not harm the x1 lower imp rate.
Nop, aune x1 its an ss, not t1 tube. Yes it got the same same like philips...
You can check it on aune website.

That rating won't affect the headphones, only the output impedance could affect them, and then we're only talking sound differences, not actual harm to the headphones. So your phones are safe.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #2,953 of 5,962
That rating won't affect the headphones, only the output impedance could affect them, and then we're only talking sound differences, not actual harm to the headphones. So your phones are safe.

Thanks for the expanation. Now I dont have to worry to buy the aune x1.
I think the aune will not make any difference on the x1 sound with e17, but it will also for my next cans.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #2,954 of 5,962

That's interesting, I am about 59 cm around the head just above the top of the ear. But more importantly I am about 45 cm measured from the bottom of my ear over my head were a headband would be to the bottom of the other side of my ear and I could not get the X1's to sit comfortably on my ears. I also have quite small ears, could be good or bad.

I get about 43 cm measured from one earlobe to the other, so I guess we have different head shapes. But there's not that much room to spare – If I put my pinky finger under the headband they start to pull on my ears. I've had trouble with regular self-adjusting headbands, though...

kcee - anodyne .. not completely sure if you both own these (your posts suggest you don't yet), but Innerfidelity showed how to compress the headband gently into a V-shape to give a more acceptable fit for the larger headed out there (engaging reviewer -he clearly knows his crap all right). Also I think somebody showed a few pictures here on this thread.

*Edit* anodyne - you truly are a caveman with measurements like that - just measured myself - nowhere near (and my GF just had to walk in on me with a tape bloody measure around my head - could have been worse).

I got mine somewhere in the middle of the MA900 discussion, so it could have been easy to miss.

Had to pull out a tape measure to get the ear-to-ear measurement just now, so I guess it's maybe a good thing I don't have a GF at the moment. Though I suppose it's about time I grab my club and... *cough* ...I mean, I should go to a club and meet some new people.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #2,955 of 5,962
  A few initial subjective impressions of the X1's:

Sound is comfortable and laid back but still incredibly rich. Bass extension is just enough to give a roomy, non-directional lower end without affecting soundstaging very much in general. Expected just a little more of the very high end, but that could be dulled by lack of proper amplification. Not that they need that much power to produce sound, and are enjoyable when connected to my phone as well. Or maybe they just need to be played a few hours more to loosen up fully.

So, with the sound, comfort and design/build I'd say that were worth each one of the £185 I paid – and would probably have felt like a very decent buy at the £280 RRP as well.

Update. Have had two nights to listen. Maybe 10 hours of listening time, and now the treble seems to be there as well. It's kind of gentle but not too distant, and there's a nice sparkle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back