[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2,896 of 5,962
To bring it back to the positive side, the X1 is my fave music and movie headphone outside of the D7000. It's really a shame that I couldn't handle it's mid bass for prolonged periods. It's not as if I haven't heard stronger. The Pro 900 has an ungodly amount of midbass, yet it never bothered my ears. Just the way it hit on the X1 bothered my ears. But I'm weird like that. there have been headphones with less bass that bothered me just the same (i.e. Q701).

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #2,899 of 5,962
Any 3.5mm male to male cable will work.  I know nothing about the beats cable, but I'm guessing it's overpriced and ugly.

I would buy a ~$5 one online (like from monoprice).

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #2,900 of 5,962
I also agree that the ma 900 is much more comfortable than the x1, although i dont really like the lightweight, its too light for me.
Not that i want to bash the ma900 instead, just my preference.
I just think its better to start the ma900 thread of its own and start comparing with other cans.
Not I'm saying that x1 is the best. Its bass qty still too much for me. Its just Other unfamiliar persons might missunderstand x1 comfort level with ma900.
Still, just ignore my opinion if you guys disagrees.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,901 of 5,962
  Any 3.5mm male to male cable will work.  I know nothing about the beats cable, but I'm guessing it's overpriced and ugly.

I would buy a ~$5 one online (like from monoprice).

I'm pretty sure they have a version with a single button mic/remote that works with things that aren't iPhones. That could be useful if I bring the phones to work on days when there aren't many others around to be bothered by leaky cans.

I can pay for nice-looking things, so I'll probably order one of those V-Moda cables many like to talk about later.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #2,902 of 5,962
I also agree that the ma 900 is much more comfortable than the x1, although i dont really like the lightweight, its too light for me.
Not that i want to bash the ma900 instead, just my preference.
I just think its better to start the ma900 thread of its own and start comparing with other cans.
Not I'm saying that x1 is the best. Its bass qty still too much for me. Its just Other unfamiliar persons might missunderstand x1 comfort level with ma900.
Still, just ignore my opinion if you guys disagrees.

The MA900 has it's own thread. Again, we're discussing the X1 vs other headphones. Just because we're praising the MA900, doesn't mean we have to move the current line of posts to another thread. We're still comparing to the X1.

Or are you just that sensitive to people not finding the x1 the best at everything? Like Chico said, if the only thing people hear is what the X1 does right, then this may as well turn into an Appreciation Thread. The vast majority of posts here are POSITIVE, so it's already like an Appreciation thread. It's not that serious.

Comparisons and honest opinions is the best thing that can happen to headphones.

It does not take away from all the positive things the X1 has.

Choose a headphone, there will always be something wrong with them. Letting people know these things is doing them a service just as much if not more than just praising a headphone all the time. Like I love the MA900, i know people won't like that it can press up to their ears, (which a lot of people are sensitive against) or that the treble may be too polite/smooth/laid back, or that the headband and pads are a bit too thin, or it's crappy, overly long cable, etc. See? I can say negative things about the headphone I love too.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #2,903 of 5,962

I'm pretty sure they have a version with a single button mic/remote that works with things that aren't iPhones. That could be useful if I bring the phones to work on days when there aren't many others around to be bothered by leaky cans.

I can pay for nice-looking things, so I'll probably order one of those V-Moda cables many like to talk about later.

Beats cables will work fine, unless they've changed them drastically in the past year lol. My ex used to have a pair, its just a standard red 3.5mm male to male cable. Nothing special, so it'll work fine with the X1.
I think even if it does have the special ipod controls or whatever on the line, it'll still work just fine because the three poles on the plug that need to make contact, still do.

But yea.. upgrade when you can, those Beats cables werent very durable from what I saw. No strain relief at all on them, eventually (fairly quickly) the plastic insulation of the wire cracks at the point where it meets the plug, strips away a bit, and reveals the shielding and cables within.

On another note, I'm still pretty interested in these X1s and tempted to convince a friend to get these just so I can try them and compare to what I have lol.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2,904 of 5,962
Not at all that i'm sensitive to people saying the x1 is not as good as other cans. I also finds the x1 have many flaws imo. Bass qty too much, mediocre stock cable, non replaceable pads.
I'm just saying better to start ma900 own thread and comparing to other cans in that thread. If it already has, then i think better to start comparing there.
Or on mle gaming thread. It compares multiple cans, so i think that thread is also better to compare ma900 with other cans.
I'm just saying my opinion here, just like you americans practicing freedom of speach. Its up to you if you want to read my opinion or not. If not, then just ignore my words...
Sorry if i offend any of you here.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #2,905 of 5,962
They are still talking about the MA900 vs X1. It's still on topic.

If comparing is so bad, then maybe headfi is too much for you, as topics will always diverge a bit here and there.

Also, separating and creating various threads on the same headphone is just going to split the focus, and oversaturate the forum when talking about the same headphone. Threads like that tend to get merged, because there is no point having 4 threads for the same headphone.

X1 thread, X1 appreciation, X1 comparisons, X1 review, etc. All these things can be talked about in one thread. I don't understand why it bothers you so much. You're free to ignore posts that don't sound happy all the time or diverge from being fully X1 focused. In the end, the main point (the X1) will come right back to focus.

People are coming to this thread to read about the X1. Whether its comparisons, strengths, weaknesses, its all here. Just because someone brought up the MA900, doesn't mean he has to go post somewhere else. It will still comparing what he felt the comfort of the MA900 was relative to the X1. A minor post too.

No one is bashing the X1. You're arguing about something trivial. If if bothers, why not make an X1 appreciation thread where you can set the rules, like no debating, no comparing, etc? Its happy X1 posts all the time. Though, honestly, that doesn't help anyone, other than those that just wanna gush about a headphone 24/7. This thread is overwhelmingly positive as is, and when someone says something on the contrary, he should go post somewhere else? Come on.

More comparisons to the X1 would be great.

As for me, I'm overly critical when it comes to headphone faults. The thin pads and headband on the MA900 are a minor pet peeve I have that i absolutely want to rectify BECAUSE I love the MA900 so much. I want to make the comfort even better, even when it's already amazing.

For the X1, all it really needs for me is for the sucessor to have easily replaceable pads, more extension for larger heads, and better stock cable, though the latter is fixed easily buy buying your own replacement.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #2,906 of 5,962
No, i'm not against any comparisons, discussion or anything. I think is good to have different opinions with other people. I usually debate with my friends over game or cans.
I just said, maybe you can compare the ma900 goodness with other cans on its own thread or mle thread.
Do you ever see me like this on your gaming thread, when someone comparing one cans with another? No, i never did that.
Its makes your thread more interesting to read and follow. Also helps me to find a suitable cans for my need, that is why I bought the x1. Is it perfect? Nop, far from it.
It just i think we need to appreciate the x1 for what it has. Yes the ma900 is the king of comfort, I actually agree with this. It just that the comparison here might give some newcomer misunderstanding about the x1 comfort and uninterested with it than the ma900.
Again, just stating opinions here, we are debating, although slight off topic.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #2,907 of 5,962
This thread has nothing to do with my gaming thread. People looking into the X1 are way less likely to look at my thread than say looking for X1 information on the X1 thread.

Notice, he did not say the X1 was uncomfortable. He just said the MA900 is more comfortable. How is that taking away from the X1? It's just his opinion, and not one where it would sway someone from looking into the X1. It's been stated countless times on this thread that the X1 is considered by the vast majority of people to be incredibly comfortable. One post of him speaking of the MA900, and all the sudden he should go post elsewhere? Come on now. If he wants to speak about the MA900's comfort relative to the X1's comfort, he has every right to post on this thread.

Again, there is no reason that he should jump to another thread when he is directly referring to the X1 and MA900's comfort level.

There is a small chance that there may be some people interested in both the X1 and MA900 and wishes to know how the comfort compares, so that post may have helped them.

I know that I get a TON of posts asking how headphone A compares to headphone B, in headphone A's thread.

It honestly sounds like you just don't want to hear someone say how the MA900 has better comfort, so you're telling them to go post somewhere else.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #2,908 of 5,962
  On another note, I'm still pretty interested in these X1s and tempted to convince a friend to get these just so I can try them and compare to what I have lol.

I've only had brief listens to open backs from Sennheiser and Audio Technica recently, but based on those weak impressions I have to say I find the X1 more enjoyable than both the HD650 and the AD900 X.

So... maybe you'll have trouble convincing your friend to sell them on to you if you both like them.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #2,909 of 5,962
No, i'm not against any comparisons, discussion or anything. I think is good to have different opinions with other people. I usually debate with my friends over game or cans.
I just said, maybe you can compare the ma900 goodness with other cans on its own thread or mle thread.

The MA900 is being compared to the X1 though, not some other random headphone.  Therefore it belongs in this thread.  If we were talking about the MA900 compared to the AD900, then absolutely go talk about it in another thread. 

What's the point of telling someone to go talk about that in the MA900 thread when it's equally relevant in both the MA900 and X1 thread.  You could go post in in the MA900 thread and someone could say "I see your talking about the X1.  You should go talk about that in the X1 thread."  It's the same either way, so the comparing it and posting is perfeclty fine in either thread.

Bottom line: Discussion of the X1 belongs in a thread discussing the X1 (that's THIS thread), and YES - comparing the MA900 and X1 is still discussion of the X1.

It just i think we need to appreciate the x1 for what it has.

I don't understand why you say this^.  The X1 is getting plenty of appreciation.  It's a great headphone and it has deservedly received overwhelming positive praise.  This thread is nearly 200 pages long, while the MA900 thread is...27 pages.  
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2,910 of 5,962
Exactly. The MA900 is like the HE-4 in that they're very good headphones that are/were for the most part, completely overlooked and overshadowed by other headphones. A few posts highlighting the MA900's strengths over the X1 in the X1's thread headphone isn't all the sudden going to make the X1 obsolete. In all honestly, they're not even comparable to begin with, as the MA900 and X1 have quite a different tonal balance to one another, and would make them complimentary rather than competing for the same things.

In fact, mentioning an underrated headphone on a topic about a very popular headphone can help it get some needed exposure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back