New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300?
Nov 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #256 of 287
Will be selling mine with 3 pairs pads soon...

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #259 of 287
My girlfriend has been having the old comfort problem with her FC300, so I decided to pick these up. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331167188732

First off, they're an absolute PITA to get on, but very doable. The lip behind the pad (the one that goes holds the pads on) is absolutely cheap and plasticky. They were far too loose at first and made everything sound tinny and the driver baffles rested against your ears. Bad seal, bad sound, not good. 

However, after stuffing the inside with a rolled up paper towel they're pretty great. They seal properly and don't move around any more. Wider and more airy stage, more sparkle in the treble, more detail overall. Bass is still deep, but a touch less boom to it. Also, the ear cups effectively become a full over ear design. Much more comfortable than the stock pads. A very nice and cheap mod.

There are a couple of cons. The sound may be too bright for some; think a similar sound to the AT house sound. Another con is that they can sound a little bit cuppy and cavernous, but i don't find this to be a huge issue after adjusting. Best of all, the girlfriend is happy, and that's what really matters anyway. 
tongue.gif

Hope some of you can try this and report your findings. I'll post some pics if anyone wants some.

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #261 of 287
I was experimenting with some pads..

And although the sound seems more balanced because of less v shape signature,
These cheapo pads still not large enough to cover ear..

But looks promising that the Onkyo does not get worse with pad change,
Only more neutral.

This can is more preferable to me than both the Mikros90 and the akg545/shure pads, but the bass is different on those so need more comparison soon.

I wonder about those pads on this one now..
Will see later today. .

Could you tell me how to remove the pads? thanks

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #267 of 287
I got these from the Woot deal for $55 shipped. Boy are these a steal at that price! I am just loving these, they are nearly as good as my HP50s without the terrible headband. I have put HM5 pads, with cables inserted to keep my ears off the driver, on them, which fit pretty loosely, but make them over ear and sound better. These are really so good! I'll definitely be getting some rubber grommets for the cable connectors, they are horrible! If these had a normal cable, they would be killer! I am really surprised these aren't getting more love in the portable closed discussions though. The only real problem, other than the cable, is isolation, which is below average for closed portable. But, for the price I paid, WOW! Nothing can touch these for that price! Mine are the CTI300. I think ONKYO needs a better marketing dept, because these should be quite popular. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back