New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300?
Jan 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 287

tim3320070

Headphoneus Supremus
Interesting looking headphone. As always, I am looking for high resolution, good isolation and strong but clean bass. $149 agrees with me.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Headphones&Source=hdrmenu

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 287
I'm still trying to find that *Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad* label, cuz, you know, it's the standard these days. Looks like they don't have one, which is odd since they marketed those headphones as portables, should have slapped the name Apple on them somehow.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 287
Interesting how many Audio companies are entering on this headphone world. Another to add on that list. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 287
Quote:
I'm still trying to find that *Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad* label, cuz, you know, it's the standard these days. Looks like they don't have one, which is odd since they marketed those headphones as portables, should have slapped the name Apple on them somehow.

They are 32-Ohm, seems like iPhone/iPad headphones.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 287
Bought this babe today.  Totally surprised by its price/quality ratio.

Spacious sound, great dynamics.  Now running pink noise (is that the way to go?) to break it in.

Jul 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 287
Quote:
Bought this babe today.  Totally surprised by its price/quality ratio.
Spacious sound, great dynamics.  Now running pink noise (is that the way to go?) to break it in.

Please post updated reviews on the Onkyo Headphones.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 287
Pink noise should be alright.

I guess I should mention the ONLY difference between the FC and the HF model is the cable. The more expensive one uses silver cables if I remember well. This is info from Onkyo by the way.

The joint to the cups use a similar design to AKGs, and also like AKGs the pads are nice and round, and could be a little softer/overall comfort. Because of the size of the pads, some people may have a little bit of trouble getting a good seal.

Also, I don't know why but almost every time I put these on, they pinch my hair... hopefully that's just me!

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 287
Thanks for the recommendation.

The FC cable is far inferior to the HF cable (quite obvious to me when I was testing it with my Astell & Kern AK100 DAP) 

943283_10151690039920040_343661713_n.jpg
I'm now using a Hong Kong made cable called SwanAudio SA-08.  Hits the sweet spot before breaking in already.

I do agree that the pads aren't the best - and so far I'd usually have to push the external sides and adjust after wearing them over the head.  Starting to get used to it though.  No hair loss for me 
biggrin.gif
  However I kinda regret that I bought the white coloured version... I'm afraid its colour would go eggshell after some time 
basshead.gif

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 287
Haha, aren't the cups aluminum or something? I wouldn't be too worried about that!
It's usually the plastic parts that change color a lot.
Good thing these have a decent degree of adjustment with the cups, otherwise the comfort and seal would be really lacking.

Right. Another way to burn in is simply using your regular music 
size]

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 287
Thought I would bump this thread because the other Onkyo thread seems to be focused on their IEM's.  Anyway, here is a pretty good review of the ES-FC300s:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/headphones/1300237/onkyo-es-fc300

These seem to be a great value.  Haven't seen much buzz about them around Head-Fi though.  Anyone have any additional thoughts on these?

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 287
The buzz is in the discovery thread. Though they're jumping around with different IEMs/headphones its all over the place.
They're pretty nice to be honest... though I thought the Onkyo people told me the plug is the same as Shure IEMs (unlike what the review says).

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #15 of 287
  The buzz is in the discovery thread. Though they're jumping around with different IEMs/headphones its all over the place.
They're pretty nice to be honest... though I thought the Onkyo people told me the plug is the same as Shure IEMs (unlike what the review says).

Yeah.  I posted the above review in that thread.  Not a single comment.  They blew right over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back