New Nagra HD DAC
Sep 23, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #241 of 820
  I agree with Klonk. A very interesting thread, so much useful inputs from experienced headfiers.

I also have an OT question about connecting headphones directly into the balanced outputs of the DAC. Does it matter if the output on the DAC is tube based? If one for example is going to use a tube speaker amp it has been recommended to put resistors in parallel to better match the low impedances and to save the headphone or amp from blow up. The output impedance of the DAC is the opposite and much higher (300 Ohms), so my question is will it be safe to connect headphones directly to a tube DAC. My DAC has an implemented pre and can deliver more than 6v balanced. I don’t know if this matters; but the analog tube stage is automatically switching off by relays after a few seconds if no music is playing and then switch on again then playing. TIA

From the manual:

Output Impedance: 300 ohms balanced. It can drive a balanced impedance of 20K ohms or higher.

Recommended Load > 20Kohm balanced, >10Kohm Single-Ended.

See my response to Bmichels.  With this high of an output impedance, you won't damage your headphone but you may damage your DAC if you connect it directly to any output on this DAC not meant for headphones.  I suspect the Nagra will have this same problem.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #242 of 820
  See my response to Bmichels.  With this high of an output impedance, you won't damage your headphone but you may damage your DAC if you connect it directly to any output on this DAC not meant for headphones.  I suspect the Nagra will have this same problem.

Only if you connect headphones to the signal outputs, it has its own headphone amp however.

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #243 of 820

Thanks, good explanation on the difference between line level signals and power signals!

As I have understand it tube amps are a bit more sensitive than SS to the “right” impedance for good SQ. It’s why so many good speaker tube amps like ARC, VAC, VTL etc. have multiple speaker’s outputs in different Ohms. Was not sure if it meant it could also damage the DAC. Now I will obviously not try. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #244 of 820
Its on its way, as a proud member of the above club - I organised same day pickup (even though its in a different State), will be delivered at 2.00 in the morning :eek:  

I am were excited to hear your first comments re. The HD DAC + HE1000 ( direct WITHOUT external Amp) ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #245 of 820
I am were excited to hear your first comments re. The HD DAC + HE1000 ( direct WITHOUT external Amp) ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If it hasn't been said earlier let me say it now at this level of performance - it's a waste to just hear this through headphones instead of full range speakers. Not even close. You should feel visceral, tactile presence of the artist in the room with you and that 3d imaging is also sized correctly

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #246 of 820
  If it hasn't been said earlier let me say it now at this level of performance - it's a waste to just hear this through headphones instead of full range speakers. Not even close. You should feel visceral, tactile presence of the artist in the room with you and that 3d imaging is also sized correctly

That is taken care of

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #247 of 820
Sep 23, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #248 of 820

Patience, its been flown up overnight, its 5.15am here, courier should be here at 5.30am then if you want I will do the unboxing shots, I am not doing a video, I've been clearing space on the rack for it and the MPS for the last hour, I need a coffee 

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #249 of 820

Patience, its been flown up overnight, its 5.15am here, courier should be here at 5.30am then if you want I will do the unboxing shots, I am not doing a video, I've been clearing space on the rack for it and the MPS for the last hour, I need a coffee 

pretty please?

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #250 of 820
I am only going to post very primarily impressions until its run in properly

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #251 of 820

pretty please?

At my age I am lucky to know how to switch a video recorder on let alone take one and post it, I'll leave that up to you young ones

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #252 of 820

This is the problem when dealing with high end components, they are all good, subjectively I might prefer one and you might prefer another. You will have to find out which works for you. Obviously I prefer the CAD I also know the underpinnings which I am not at liberty to discuss. My research and Scott's parallels as does our taste in sound. CAD have a 30 day money bank guarantee so you will be safe if you don't like it. I have just bought another one for my 2 channel system.

The more I've discussed things with Scott, the more and more I'm impressed with the CAT.  He is traveling but I have committed to moving forward with an order upon his return and yes, Roon will be my front end of choice.  Thanks for providing the details that you have.  It pushed all the right buttons for me.  I also like that this machine consumes only 20 watts, runs cool and can run everything Windows is capable of including Spotify which presently still provides more variety than Tidal.  I have seen that Tidal and Roon have committed to supporting MQA which is also promising.

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #253 of 820
So the Nagra + MPS has turned up and here are the photos:

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #254 of 820

Fantastic!
What is the first song you are listening to?
Does the manual say how many more burn in hours over the 142 is needed?
Man,  that pristine packaging is so Swiss

Quote:

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #255 of 820
Okay some very strange things going on, I have the optional balanced transformers installed, connected to the amp normally there is zero bass, mid range is emancipated. Clearly something is up. Tried the headphone out, all good plenty of everything through that, had to use the stock HE-1000 cable though as I don't have an adapter. That's on its way. The stock cables are average so there is no way I could accurately describe what I can hear other than to say it sounds promising. The DHC cables improve the sound so much over stock that's its not much fun listening without them.

I will be on the phone to Nagra support tonight to find out whats going on, I am thinking that the jumpers for the balanced outputs need to be configured differently. Of course my balanced cables were too short so another longer set is on its way next week. Honestly you would think by now I would have learned. Have checked the balanced pin outs and they are all wired normally/correctly

So in summary, disappointing really as I can't get a good handle on the sound. For those that are wondering, the on board HP amp is more than capable and drives the HEK's to ear splitting levels.

Surprised that the DAC already has over a hundred hours on it. Nagra clearly do some serious testing which makes the balanced output issue even more strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back