New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Oct 26, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #2,116 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe no, I mean if I'd stated that the little experiment I did wasn't with properly warmed up tubes. I was driven to experiment by the previous statements by you, and other users BG experience to begin with. meanwhile, its probably me being more of an anomaly than there being no difference, since I know these things have an effect, some effect. I'll have to play around a lot more before I can start pinpointing parts..

Yep - you and me both need to make some more tests - one of the reasons I'm building so many MAX's.

I'm just concerned that we come up with some dependable combos for the general masses of MAX builders. So far, I think it's safe to say:

For Non-Black Gates -
1. WIMAs are enough to give impressive results in a basic configuration.
2. The VitQ's and the WIMA's are good to go in CA9 (cathode bypass).
3. Other film caps and boutiques may improve the sound in the CA8 positions (output coupling), but the same is NOT true in CA9 and the sound may be adversely affected. (see #2 above).
4. The Sonicap GEN II seems to work very well and improves the sound noticeably in CA8, but NOT in CA9.

For Black Gates
1. It may be best to let these stand on their own.
2. If you want to try bypassing, try the little 0.47 BG NX's first
3. Polystyrene - RTX - may be a good choice for bypassing BG's, along with Vitamin Q's, but none of this certain and hasn't been tested.
4. Item #3 may work for CA8, but be bad for CA9. YMMV.

EDIT: Ya'll correct me if you disagree or have different experiences.

Oct 26, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #2,117 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep - you and me both need to make some more tests - one of the reasons I'm building so many MAX's.

I'm just concerned that we come up with some dependable combos for the general masses of MAX builders...

Thanks Tom... I smell some new BOMs cooking.

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #2,118 of 6,727
After 14 hours. I am overall happy with the Millett. I wish mine had more bottom end. I can live with what it has, but just a little more. I am going to try different cables and some other combos to see if this can help. Well see what happens. Maybe if I am able to build another one I will try some different caps.

How long until tubes are considered broke in?

Hey vixr, I was trying to click on the links in your signature and all of the links are crashing my browser (Safari). Thought you would like to know.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #2,119 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Listen2this1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey vixr, I was trying to click on the links in your signature and all of the links are crashing my browser (Safari). Thought you would like to know.

hmmmm... I dont have a clue. Its a slideshow offered by photobucket. I removed them, sorry about the PITA

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #2,120 of 6,727
YES YES YES

Cased it all up, and ready for the UK meet tomorrow. And the best bit is that nothing has shorted or blown, and it sounds, and looks sensational. Do you ladies want to see it or shall i leave you in suspense and make you wait for the meet pics ?
icon10.gif

Only problem is that i wired my RCA jacks the wrong way around. lol.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #2,121 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep... I found that the only boutique part that actually made a positive difference is the C8 bypass cap. As I recently stated, I found that the Elna Silmics in CA2/7 were much less pleasant than the Panasonic FMs, and there was no difference between using the WIMA and a PIO in CA9

Somehow I missed this earlier, but I think it's very important. It feeds right into what I've been thinking/saying: a WIMA is just fine in CA9.

Quote:

I am currently trying to decide whether I like the little russian K42 PIO or the Vit Q better in CA8 - this really is a last 1% issue.

This is just as important, too, because for many of us, the genuine Sprague VitQ's are really too big. MrMajestic2 got away with it because he's using the taller sinks.

Thanks to you, I can now see that those little K42 PIO's can fit in fairly easy at CA8 - both lying down or standing up, I believe.

So, my further testing will focus on whether the little Russian PIO's are appreciably better than Sonicap GEN II's in that position. The GEN II's really shine with the ES's there. I don't know if the PIO's have the same synergy - they may be a better match with the BG's.

Quote:

Tomb has been absolutely correct the whole time on the issue of using boutique parts in the Millet MAX - Oh, why didn't we listen to you tomb (just joking).

Not really. By my recollection I sidetracked a bit with trying to apply bypasses to Black Gates and also putting the Sonicaps in CA9, but I appreciate the thought - and the joke.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Quote:

I have really enjoyed rolling various parts through mine.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #2,122 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Listen2this1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 14 hours. I am overall happy with the Millett. I wish mine had more bottom end. I can live with what it has, but just a little more. I am going to try different cables and some other combos to see if this can help. Well see what happens. Maybe if I am able to build another one I will try some different caps.

You should not be complaining about a lack of bass with the MAX. Tell us more about the specs of what you put in. I can see that you put ES caps in CA4 and CA5 - are those the 470uf's? Did you say what output transistors you were using? If you're using the BD's, you might get the impression of less bass. Anyway, we can probably help this with a few changes.

Quote:

How long until tubes are considered broke in?

Honestly? It can be as bad as Black Gates - maybe a week or two before some pairs become completely dependable. Some of this has to do with the fact that gas molecules collect in the tubes over the years and the getter has to burn them out. That takes a number of hours. Generally speaking, if the bias doesn't vary after a couple of hours and you can't detect high-end harshness, they're broken in. Broken-in tubes will also heat up and give good sound pretty quickly - maybe within an hour.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #2,123 of 6,727
Would like to socket the RB14 position, but boutique resistor leads are larger than the standard sip socket. Can anyone help with a vendor and p/n for a suitable replacement? This is my first post, but just completed one millet and am tweaking it before moving on to my second with boutique Black Gates in place of the Nichicon ES setup in my first. Couldn’t have done it without the invaluable posts and subsequent responses of the faithful folks that frequent this forum.

Oct 26, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #2,125 of 6,727
Thank you vixr...sometimes the solutions are simple. The reduction in the diameter of the lead is not an issue. I am going to experiment with different Kiwame resistor values to see what effect they have, but volume levels are decent now with my HD580's and my old untrained ears may not notice any decrease in upper frequency harshness.

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #2,126 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pabbi, at least one set of 2sc3422 & 2sc1359, but it would be a good idea for 2 sets. As far as you were saying, about this being your last diy, you could build a MAX anytime you want, once you watch out for solder dribbling from the back side of the board, to the fronts side. Just by being stingy with the amount of solder, you would have been up and running from what you have done so far, so no big deal. You can definitely build another Max yourself, just by being stingy with the solder.

Parts enroute... should be there by Wednesday.

Note to self: Stingy with solder...
icon10.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #2,127 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>Note to self: Stingy with solder...
icon10.gif

Don't kick yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif
The MAX is one of the most wickable boards designed. Colin did it that way on purpose to ensure good connections and solderability across such a large board.

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #2,128 of 6,727
Ok thanks Pabbi!
Yeah TomB, thats probably the better way to visualize what happens. The solder wicks up to the top of the board through gravity and capillary action.

Oct 27, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #2,130 of 6,727
I've finally finished my maxed... thanks to all you guys..

here are some pics (sorry for the quality, only have my phone camera right now)

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

see more pictures here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back