New Millett Hybrid Maxed Amp
Oct 22, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #2,071 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Made a bit of progress today:

EDIT: Phew! Just finished the 5th board.

Wow, thats some quick work! You are getting close to the A/B with BG NX vs Muse ES.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #2,074 of 6,727
It doesn't appear to really be a problem, more of a minor annoyance that you get a bit of a pop through the headphones on shut down. I actually think that it might be the sound of the relay closing but more investigation is needed. On my next MAX I'll be using a 10uF cap to see if it affects this at all.

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #2,075 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone working on a way to rectify the problem, or is it to minor to worry about ?

You apparently need to read all of the posts.
wink.gif

There's no problem if you use the right parts.
wink.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I posted it in case another enterprising builder starts measuring offset at the headphone jack on turn-off. You may get some interesting numbers depending on what you have connected or not connected. Bottom line, it's not an issue - as Amb confirms in a later post.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #2,076 of 6,727
Which is better with the e12 circuit. Leaving the headphones in on power down or reducing the volume all the way down, removing the headphones, then powering down. I try to do the later all the time on any headphone amp.

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #2,077 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by Listen2this1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is better with the e12 circuit. Leaving the headphones in on power down or reducing the volume all the way down, removing the headphones, then powering down. I try to do the later all the time on any headphone amp.

I think turning the volume down is probably prudent in any case. As for the rest - fuhgeddaboudit. You can leave them plugged in with confidence. I have been listening for months on a couple of MAX's with HD580's and HD600's and never noticed anything untoward.

I didn't mean to cause trouble with this. (I'll learn one of these days.
wink.gif
) The point is - build it with the right parts and there should not be an issue. Amb has confirmed this and even with the observed voltage effect on higher-impedance cans. It's the normal operation - not to worry.

As said, if you go and start measuring your headphone jack offset without anything connected, the first thing you'll notice is an alarming 4+VDC that appears for something less than a second. However, that's with nothing plugged in. Plug in something around 50ohms or less (KSC75's, Grado's, etc.) and that less-than-one-second offset is in the one to two digit mV range - trivial. Plug in something around 300ohms and you may see something barely over 1V for a split second. As Amb comfirmed, that's trivial for a high impedance can.

The problem is when measuring the offset at the jack with an infinite impedance load (nothing connected).

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #2,079 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope you did all of the usual tourist activities. Musee du Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Eiffel Tower. I had a good time there. The French weren't rude as is sometimes reported. They were friendly enough. Welcome Back! :wink: Parlez vous francaise?

Was there for my girlfriends cousins wedding.. well.. and to meet the fam. I'd done most of the touristy stuff before so we were just chilling.. rented a city bicycle(that we doubled up on, and got stopped by a cop for going through a red light, who just said don't do it again:p) and wine, cheese, baguettes, flan, around the eiffel. Pics for a new panoramic somewhere on the sein..etc..
The whole europeans/french hating americans thing is generally b.s(I think) It really depends on how polite you are to them to begin with(its.. cultural(etiquette))... but when a rowdy crowd comes back complaining about them being snobs.. just wonder why :p fortunately, my gf speaks french. I just look innocent
biggrin.gif
....okay, fine, they are kinda snobbish.. but really not terrible.

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #2,080 of 6,727
Starting to loosen up as ive been running it in since yesterday afternoon. Only about 30 hours total on it and it's definately less harsh and is somewhat mellower.

Drilled the frontpanel today, tapped screw thread even though they arn't concentric holes in the hammond so are more like 4 taps down 4 ridges.... hehe.

Backpanel and top plate will be done by wednesdayl, and hopefully my sexy RCA plugs will arrive on friday so i can fully assemble ready for the meet at the weekend.

O and building my new silver IC's too... Can't wait to hear em... The bits:

partswy0.jpg

Oct 23, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #2,081 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya'll may find a recent discussion on Headwize of the MAX's e12 Delay interesting. It starts with post #232 (Click on the "View Post In Thread".)

The sound that I get on power down is pretty mild. Kind of a "Pffft". But I always thought that was the electric field collapsing in the electrolytic caps as they drop to zero volts. Just my theory(IMHO). I can't imagine how nasty the pop is without the delay circuit, and don't want to risk my phones to do an A/B.
cool.gif
Edit: Thats to avoid the pop on power up of course. On power down the delay obviously isn't doing anything.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #2,084 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0nsumer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh... What's that there in my second MAX? Could it be the first assembled nuxx Audio Input Switch? Why yes, it is!

And yes, it works as expected... So, I expect there to be a group buy put together pretty soon...

Hrm, I think the design needs a few improvements...

once the source is switched, the signal path doesn't actually pass thru any of the components does it? As I said before, I don't know jack about this..

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #2,085 of 6,727
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
once the source is switched, the signal path doesn't actually pass thru any of the components does it? As I said before, I don't know jack about this..

Erm... What? I'm a bit confused by your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back