New Member Introductions thread
Sep 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #451 of 15,569
  Hi, i'm new here, thanks for reading me!

I'm looking for the ideal headphones for me, i can't afford buying different ones, i've saved a long time for these so i want to make it count!

I listen to:

Killswitch Engage
A Day To Remember
Daughtry
Bruno Mars
Bullet For My Valentine
Dream Theater
Four Year Strong
Paramore
etc...

I recently bought Sennheiser's 598 and I loved them! But returned them since they leak a LOT of sound and a LOT of sound came in. So maybe i'm looking for something decently isolating and noice cancelling. I really don't like microphones or volume controls on my headphones, just the plain cable.
I like clear sounds, not too mid muffled, I also love bass, but nothing too crazy! Maybe something a bit plain with a bit rock punch, like nice clear bass, clear vocals and a heavy snare on songs. Maybe i'm making it too complicated to choose lol, but I just really don't know which ones to get, you guys could help me so much!

I have this few options i've looked throughout your threads, but can't to have a clear winner (other options are welcome)

Audio Technica M50x
Sony MDR-1R
Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO-32
Beyerdynamic DT-990 PRO-250
AKG K550
AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones
Sennheiser Urbanite
V-Moda XS
Onkyo ES-CTI300
Denon AH-D340
Any Beats in the price range (I've just seen a lot of people use them)

If possible, for them to be a little stylish (not too ugly lol)

Thank you so much for your help and reading me, you guys are awesome!!

Hi Carlo,

I'm new to the site too. I don't have the depth of knowlege that others have here but I have a thought. I own the M50's and find them to be pretty good. They have good isolation and sound pretty good too. They are not the most comfortable headphones but I think thats the price you pay for good isolation. They are well built too.

I can't claim to be an owner of the Beyers but they sure look nice. I like the velor ear pieces. I'll bet they are very comfortable.

I have a friend who claims the sun rises and sets on the AKG. He's a musician with a good ear. I haven't had the opportunity to drive them myself.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #452 of 15,569
Hello,
I have been always coming to this forum whenever I need to look for audio topics because the people seem really nice :D
I was a gamer before going into university so I have always had gaming headsets which is mainly Razer and since my interest in higher grade audio is growing, I decided to replace them all and start looking cans for listening music.

I only have my cheap Beyerdynamic DTX710 plugged into my PC for night time music since my neighbor already knocked on my door 3x last 6 months for using speakers at 2 AM.
And I constantly, and always listen to music whenever I'm outside or alone, which is why I decided to get the right cans for my ears.
Currently on vacation, using my old iPod touch 4th gen with a FiiO E6 and Harman Kardon AE that I bought cheap just before my vacation since my old earphones got into unfortunate accident and cracked its case. 

I used to listen to MP3 musics after forgetting FLAC for a long time, and after I returned back to using FLAC, now I really can't go back to MP3 because the difference is just wow.
That's the reason why I'm still looking for the best sound I could get (though not much money, university student here)

I am now considering to buy Topping NX1 portable amp this month, and maybe also a used orthodynamic headphone?
There is this one guy in Germany who sells a used Yamaha HP-3 orthodynamic headphones for 49 + 6 euro.
But is that worth it? Else I'm gonna stick to buying Grado SR80i.

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #453 of 15,569
Hi R,

Very cool getting to chat with a guy in Germany. I really hope to visit there one day, beautiful country. I am a student as well although an older returning student finishing my Bachelor of Science CIS. I can't help bragging but I've got 4 classes left and have a 4.0 GPA and hoping to graduate Summa Cum Laude. I honestly can't believe I've made it this far without messing up! Starting to think about the Masters program.

I have been on a quest to do better than mp3 quality myself. I recently bought the Fiio X3, a set of V-Moda M80's, and Audio Technica M50's. The V-Modas I got off ebay for abouot $100 for a display pair but honestly they could have been new. Even needed to be broke in. I like them a lot although the sound stage is kind of tight. I'm finding out the M50's are entry level audiophile but so far I'm pretty pleased with them. I was listening to She's coming Home by the Beatles and Come Away With Me by Nora Jones and other things last night and overall pretty pleased with the performance. I am starting to wonder about higher end stuff.

Unfortunately I don't know much abou the Yamaha HP-3's. I looked them up. Read someones post about how much thye love them but thats as much as I know. The Grados I have heard. I work with a guy who has a pair. They sound good to me. I'm pretty sure they are open back if thats even a concern. If it was me I would go for the Grados all the way but I'm not the expert.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #454 of 15,569
Hi all! First time poster, long time lurker.

I consider myself a novice in the world of high-fidelity audio and acoustics, though I've been interested in better sound quality and music for a long time. I guess I became serious with sound when I bought a pair of Grado SR-80 headphone a decade ago. It was a huge revelation to me and opened my eyes, rather ears, to what I've been missing. (My previous headphone by the way was the Sony MDR-7000DJ, which in my opinion was the Beats of its time.)

My current "equipment" right now are just my Lenovo laptop and custom desktop PC with a FLAC library ripped from my CD and vinyl collection, a Dragonfly DAC, and a few headphones: Grado SR-80 and SR-225, the later model (not made in Austria) AKG K240, Audio-Technica M50, and my trusty Sony MDR-7520 (my favorite among the bunch).

I wish I could afford all the much nicer equipment and speakers that are featured and recommended here, but I gravitate toward headphones because they're more immersive to me, especially since I live in a noisy city.

Anyway, nice to be here and hope I'm able to join in on future meetups!

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #455 of 15,569
  Hi R,

Very cool getting to chat with a guy in Germany. I really hope to visit there one day, beautiful country. I am a student as well although an older returning student finishing my Bachelor of Science CIS. I can't help bragging but I've got 4 classes left and have a 4.0 GPA and hoping to graduate Summa Cum Laude. I honestly can't believe I've made it this far without messing up! Starting to think about the Masters program.

I have been on a quest to do better than mp3 quality myself. I recently bought the Fiio X3, a set of V-Moda M80's, and Audio Technica M50's. The V-Modas I got off ebay for abouot $100 for a display pair but honestly they could have been new. Even needed to be broke in. I like them a lot although the sound stage is kind of tight. I'm finding out the M50's are entry level audiophile but so far I'm pretty pleased with them. I was listening to She's coming Home by the Beatles and Come Away With Me by Nora Jones and other things last night and overall pretty pleased with the performance. I am starting to wonder about higher end stuff.

Unfortunately I don't know much abou the Yamaha HP-3's. I looked them up. Read someones post about how much thye love them but thats as much as I know. The Grados I have heard. I work with a guy who has a pair. They sound good to me. I'm pretty sure they are open back if thats even a concern. If it was me I would go for the Grados all the way but I'm not the expert.

Thanks for the reply, Ash

I myself am not a German, but a mere student here. Indeed it is a beautiful country and everything's in order, but university is kinda hard here.
I've messed up my first 3 semesters so I decided to transfer to other institute, in which I'm right now doing far better 
wink_face.gif

Seems like the M50 is also everyone's prodigy. My friend has one, and yes it is good, but you know this feeling... Like wanting to have better cans because you already saw and tried your friend's M50. This is actually my situation now, I strive to get better headphones (if possible, cheaper too)
Other thing I've been considering is the B&W P3 for portable use, but it could wait since it's rather pricey.

The cans being open back isn't a problem since I'm going to use it at home anyway. 
Most people said the Yamaha ortho needs good amp or probably modding etc etc, stuffs which I don't really understand and not want to risk for, considering I'm still a noob.
Also, the difference between old and modern tech actually bothering me since the Yamaha is a real old cans, I doubt it'll perform better than the modern cans.

Hi all! First time poster, long time lurker.

I consider myself a novice in the world of high-fidelity audio and acoustics, though I've been interested in better sound quality and music for a long time. I guess I became serious with sound when I bought a pair of Grado SR-80 headphone a decade ago. It was a huge revelation to me and opened my eyes, rather ears, to what I've been missing. (My previous headphone by the way was the Sony MDR-7000DJ, which in my opinion was the Beats of its time.)

My current "equipment" right now are just my Lenovo laptop and custom desktop PC with a FLAC library ripped from my CD and vinyl collection, a Dragonfly DAC, and a few headphones: Grado SR-80 and SR-225, the later model (not made in Austria) AKG K240, Audio-Technica M50, and my trusty Sony MDR-7520 (my favorite among the bunch).

I wish I could afford all the much nicer equipment and speakers that are featured and recommended here, but I gravitate toward headphones because they're more immersive to me, especially since I live in a noisy city.

Anyway, nice to be here and hope I'm able to join in on future meetups!

Hi,
I was a long time lurker as well and am also new member here.

Could you tell me your impression of  Grado SR-80? Is it really good that you're still using it everyday even now, or is there a feeling that drives you to look for better cans and you actually find something better than it? (in the same price range)

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #456 of 15,569

Hi,
I was a long time lurker as well and am also new member here.

Could you tell me your impression of  Grado SR-80? Is it really good that you're still using it everyday even now, or is there a feeling that drives you to look for better cans and you actually find something better than it? (in the same price range)

Hi Rozenberg, I haven't used the SR-80 for years to be honest, but I still want to keep it I guess for sentimentality (lol). I do love the sound (though the stock earpads are just the worst and sound can be a bit harsh/strident for prolonged use) so II'll use it again someday. When I bought it a decade ago when I was in college, I was just blown away. It made me realize that all the headphones I bought prior were junk. Even though I loved them, I can't use them outdoors.

Eventually, I wanted/needed headphones that's not completely open-back so I can use on a train or bus, so I bought the AKG-240, then the ATH-M50, and now the Sony MDR-7520.

And here I am now. (lol)

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #457 of 15,569

Hi Rozenberg, I haven't used the SR-80 for years to be honest, but I still want to keep it I guess for sentimentality (lol). I do love the sound (though the stock earpads are just the worst and sound can be a bit harsh/strident for prolonged use) so II'll use it again someday. When I bought it a decade ago when I was in college, I was just blown away. It made me realize that all the headphones I bought prior were junk. Even though I loved them, I can't use them outdoors.

Eventually, I wanted/needed headphones that's not completely open-back so I can use on a train or bus, so I bought the AKG-240, then the ATH-M50, and now the Sony MDR-7520.

And here I am now. (lol)

considering lots of people also said the it could strain your ears in long use, I'm also looking for alternatives.
I use headphones a lot and that's why I need a comfortable one. I found Beyerdynamic phones are comfortable enough though. And the AKG's earpads look nice and comfy as well, I probably would consider buying AKG too.
But for cheap price, I have my eyes on Creative Aurvana Live!.

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #458 of 15,569
Hi ,i'm amedeo from Italy.
it's about ten years i use to listen to music only in car,now looking to the latest evolution of cheap amp/dac,i've decided to start with this new(for me) way of listening.
i've found here many information and decided to join.
yesterday arrived my first amp/dac ,fiio E10K,i'm really enjoing with my new pair of superlux hd 668 b ,great if you consider  that at least two weeks ago
both fiio and superlux were absolutely unknown to me!
i'm now waiting for edifier h850,and velvet ear pads for superlux,and....
thanks to everybody .

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #459 of 15,569
Hello world! :)
I'm not an audiophile but I like great headphones.
I started with the Logitech g430 but they broke so I bought the SoundMagic e10m, amazing sound quality by the way.
Now I wilk probably buy the Sennheiser G4ME Zero but I need an Amp to run them properly.
Any DIY Amp suggestion is apreciated.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #460 of 15,569

considering lots of people also said the it could strain your ears in long use, I'm also looking for alternatives.
I use headphones a lot and that's why I need a comfortable one. I found Beyerdynamic phones are comfortable enough though. And the AKG's earpads look nice and comfy as well, I probably would consider buying AKG too.
But for cheap price, I have my eyes on Creative Aurvana Live!.

I can live with some discomfort, but I do have my limits too! Headphones are such a personal thing, and comfort is really difficult to judge, since everyone's heads and ears are different. So personally, I go with sound quality first (either based on recommendations or trying out in person) and then live with any perceived discomfort later.

The ATH-M50 are a good pair, but you might be bored with them if you know you'll be dissatisfied in the long run. I haven't had the opportunity to try Beyerdynamic, but the AKG K701 is pretty comfortable from my brief experience. The AKG K240 that I own are just okay, the "pleather" pads are not as soft as I would like them to be.

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #461 of 15,569
Hello world!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not an audiophile but I like great headphones.
I started with the Logitech g430 but they broke so I bought the SoundMagic e10m, amazing sound quality by the way.
Now I wilk probably buy the Sennheiser G4ME Zero but I need an Amp to run them properly.
Any DIY Amp suggestion is apreciated.

Hi, I'm GlowGale, nice to meet you!

If you want something simple with tubes, try having a go at a Starving Student Millet Hybrid. I will probably roll my own variant of this amp, at least when I fully understand how the original one functions.
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
GG

PS: Currently rolling with a Sennheiser HD-203 fed by a Roland Duo Capture.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #462 of 15,569
Long time audio lover, med. time lurker, first time poster. 

After listening to my hi fi setup for less than 20 hours in 2 years, it was time to sell (and my wife had designs for the listening room). So I sold (mostly, a few items left to sell) the system I had carefully assembled for home hi fi: Airtight mono amps, Aesthetix pre-amp, and Merlin TSM monitors and a REL Sub. I always wondered about a headphone setup, but it wasn't till I kicked tires at a local hi fi shop and heard the Audeze that I was motivated to move.

I kept my DAC and computer rig. It is a MF Tri-Vista 21 DAC, glorious sound. It is fed by a highly modified Logitech Squeezebox with its innards ripped out, and sporting a $1k upgraded power supply with Jensen and black gate caps, pulling WAV files from a Mac Mini. It was state of the art in 2004, but I see that computer audio technology has made some big leaps, so we'll see if it stays.   

At least the cable technology has not significantly changed, and I can reuse the Acoustic Zen Silver references cables and Cardas Golden Ref and Foundation Research AC cables I don't need to sell.

I lurked a long time, trying to decide on the right amp/dac setup, before getting a good deal on a Woo Audio 6SE and the Audeze LCD-3's. Also scored a used set of Cardas Clear cables, and added the obligatory Sophia Princess rectifier tube. I've not had the chance to set this up and listen yet, but waiting for an evening and trying to find the right place in the house where I am likely to listen.

The headphone world is pretty fun so far . I don't see as many crusty, opinionated and jaded "Simpson's comic book guy" style folks as on Audio Asylum, though I am sure they are here and well known. There seems to be both a real enthusiasts love for new products and innovation than I've seen from home hifi. Lots of fun at all ends of the price spectrum too. Like hifi used to be in the 80's and early 90's before the Internet came along and Ipods began to decimate the appeal of home hifi.

That enthusiasm and the community is pretty cool, and maybe the big thing that gets me listening more and buying more music.

To be honest, I hope not to frequent the gear forums too much, since I really want to get back to the place where I am more focused on the music than the gear. Chasing the latest amps, DACs, and cables is certainly part of the ritual for some, but I don't have time these days to keep up, and other hobbies feed my Internet time.

Anyways, thanks in advance for all the great discussions that helped me make what seems to be a solid purchase decision.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #463 of 15,569
Those of you who posted in the last couple of pages, I've upgraded your accounts so you can now change your avatar, add a signature and fill in your profile. 
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #464 of 15,569
Hi everyone!
My name is Peter and I'm from Poland. I love high-end portable audio equipment and still looking for the best set for lossless music into pocket. I listen to film music (especially Hans Zimmer), rock, electric and rap. I hope to get here a lot of useful knowledge from more experienced audio geeks. I apologize in advance for all my language mistakes (forgive me, I'm not a master of the English).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back