New Loaner Program TTVJ/Millett
Apr 9, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #76 of 134
Thanks very much to Todd for the chance to audition this amp. I have sent it on to Mr. Chou.

Below are my comments, also to be added to my portable amp review:

Unlike many of the amps I review, there was no lack of reviews on the PMH. Based on what I had read, I expected it to sound tubier than it did. But there are some sonic attributes that can probably be ascribed to the tubes. Less happily, the tubes are also likely the reason that the chassis rings very audibly through the headphones if tapped. This is really a bummer for a portable amp. It means that while it is portable, care will have to be taken while listening not to bump it, or unwanted ringing will overlay the music.

Build Quality: A: Very attractive and sturdy chassis. I guess I won’t subtract here for that annoying pinging…
Treble: A-: The treble is reasonably clean, transparent, and neutral. As I expected the amp lacks a little top end extension and air, but not nearly as much as I thought it might. I don’t think the treble is a real problem, generally, unless you try to use it with dark sounding headphones.
Midrange: A+: WOW. Simply gorgeous. Cliché or not, I have to assume this is due to the tube impact. But the mids were musical, lush, detailed, clean, open, and very enjoyable. The amp’s strong suite, no doubt.
Bass: A-: Full, punch, and fat. Perhaps a little loose. Could have a little better depth. But it was very enjoyable nonetheless.
Neutrality: A-: More neutral than I expected. Aside from lacking the very frequency extremes, it is essentially neutral . In fact, I was surprised to find it more neutral than the Decware Zenhead, which went through the review process at the same time.
Soundstaging: A: Great depth and width, and a very palpable image. Excellent performance here.
Transparency: A-: Occasionally just a bit thick sounding, but generally very transparent.

The TTVJ PMH provides very good, and in some respect truly excellent sound. It’s generally well built. But it’s at the very top end of the price curve of portable headphone amps, and for my $450, for portable use, I’d prefer the iQube, which performs better overall and doesn’t have that very annoying pinging/ringing. It might be better to leave the tubes at home.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #77 of 134
Leave the tubes at home? NEVER
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #79 of 134
Interesting. Perhaps the loaner unit has developed a problem? I know other people than me have had this issue.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #80 of 134
With normal use, mine does not ping and pong, unless I purposefully rap the case with a flick of the fingernail or a knuckle. I can pick it up, and set it down, and move it around and I don't get any of that.

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #81 of 134
First off, thank you Todd for your generosity with this lending program.
I am very thankful for the chance to audition this amp in my home with my own music and equipment over over a week. I'd previously heard this amp briefly at the Chi-Unifi meet with my UM2s and another head-fiers IMOD.
This opportunity allowed me to take time for more careful listening and develop some more in-depth impressions across a range of music. This is my first formal review so please feel free to give me suggestions how to my improve future reviews.

These are my impressions using my Headamp Pico DAC feeding lossless files to the TTVJ amp. My main comparison is with the Pico dac/amp combo. Below are some pics and my impressions...

DSC07515.JPG

DSC07513.JPG

DSC07516.JPG

TTVJ Millet Hybrid
using PK3

When You Say Nothing at All – Alison Krauss
-Vocals more lush, warm, less airy
-Bass tuneful, a bit loose
-Midrange instruments and voices more lush and forward, organic sounding
-less twang (slower attack) on guitars but nice snap on the snare

Colors – Amos Lee
-Bass a bit boomy and loose
-Voice and guitar very round, smooth sounding
-No harshness across spectrum
-Really enjoy the vocal harmony where the ladies voices surround you

Morricone: Gabriel's Oboe – Yo-Yo Ma
-Less detailed, smoother sound so sounds of bow on strings is hidden
-Strings all blend together, less separation lending to sound like fewer instruments
-lowest notes hidden
-cello tone is not quite right, a bit nasal?

The Luckiest – Ben Folds
-Piano very organic and full-sounding, especially middle range notes
-vocals forward and very realistic (reverb adds air to voice)
-Strings overpower piano and vocals somewhat during the parts that build up in intensity

District Sleeps Alone Tonight – Postal Service
-Long sustain on voices brought forward and so more apparent
-Drum hits less tight, less deep
-Very engaging, musical sound overall
-Electronic drum hits less harsh
-Midrange focus so almost changes the dynamic of the song

Lenny – Stevie Ray Vaughan
Warm, tubey guitar goodness
soulful bass and guitars playing together
Drums have a nice punch and snap

It Never Entered My Mind – Miles Davis

Trumpet exhibits little to no harshness at all, very smooth sounding
bass and drums are a bit more forward, piano sounds very real, though extreme low and high notes sound a tad cut off

Black Dog Live - Led Zeppelin
Whoo! Rockin tubey guitar! Forward and crunchy with great, warm distortion tone
Robert Plant's vocals come alive
Drums splashy and rockin, could use a tad more punch though
Bass a bit drowned out by guitar, but that's most rock, right?

Side note: I also heard the pinging/ringing when I touched the amp (unplugged or plugged in my headphones).

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with this amp. It's midrange really is magical and gives such a lush, warm, yet detailed performance that engages the listener. Instruments gain an organic sound to them, less produced (not sure if that makes sense)? Not the best extension but you can sometimes get lost in the music and these details may not matter quite so much. I also tried my HD600 (cardas-cable) and I must admit the TTVJ PMH has plenty of oomph to it, enabling it to drive full-sized cans well (better than my pico). Some songs sounded better on the HD600 than my PK3 (ie Gabriel's Oboe) and also the other way around. Soundstage very good, not quite as deep as the pico but still very palpable. I must say acoustic and electric guitars really sing on this amp. Voices also stand out in the mix, which depending on the singer, can be a nice feature.

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #82 of 134
EXCELLENT Review! Very well done.

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #83 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, thank you Todd for your generosity with this lending program.
I am very thankful for the chance to audition this amp in my home with my own music and equipment over over a week. I'd previously heard this amp briefly at the Chi-Unifi meet with my UM2s and another head-fiers IMOD.
This opportunity allowed me to take time for more careful listening and develop some more in-depth impressions across a range of music. This is my first formal review so please feel free to give me suggestions how to my improve future reviews.

These are my impressions using my Headamp Pico DAC feeding lossless files to the TTVJ amp. My main comparison is with the Pico dac/amp combo. Below are some pics and my impressions...

[snip]

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with this amp. It's midrange really is magical and gives such a lush, warm, yet detailed performance that engages the listener. Instruments gain an organic sound to them, less produced (not sure if that makes sense)? Not the best extension but you can sometimes get lost in the music and these details may not matter quite so much. I also tried my HD600 (cardas-cable) and I must admit the TTVJ PMH has plenty of oomph to it, enabling it to drive full-sized cans well (better than my pico). Some songs sounded better on the HD600 than my PK3 (ie Gabriel's Oboe) and also the other way around. Soundstage very good, not quite as deep as the pico but still very palpable. I must say acoustic and electric guitars really sing on this amp. Voices also stand out in the mix, which depending on the singer, can be a nice feature.

Nice review. But, you left out whether it goes better with a Cabernet or Pinot Noir. Whatcha drinkin' there?
cool.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #84 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review. But, you left out whether it goes better with a Cabernet or Pinot Noir. Whatcha drinkin' there?
cool.gif

Haha! Some cheap merlot. All my money's gone into gear and such and I've left too small a budget for the alcohol. Maybe all of my music will sound better with a nice glass of scotch.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #87 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would Kenneth Linder please pm me with your address for shipment.

PM Sent -- looking forward to my time with the amp.

Ken

May 4, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #88 of 134
Whitney Dafoe, please PM me with your address information.
You are next.

I'll post my review in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Ken

May 9, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #89 of 134
Id love a chance to listen to this...todd knows me, i met him at canjam =)

Let me know if this is still going on.

May 18, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #90 of 134
Anyone tried using it on a plane
smily_headphones1.gif
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back