New Loaner Program TTVJ/Millett
Jul 2, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #121 of 134
The new amp sounds different, but still very good - It worked well with my Westone 3 at CanJam. I didn't spend enough time with it to be able to describes it's sound.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #122 of 134
used it alittle today at work with my 530s...pretty nice...bass gets really low indeed.

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #123 of 134
should have my and rest of the gear on Thursday...cant wait. SB classic sounds horrible.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #124 of 134
well ive had this about 2 weeks and i have to say...im extremely impressed with this little guy.

Its built fantastically imo...nice smooth and solid build.

Ive been using it with mostly grados. Ive gone between the HF2, HF1 and it just sounds as it was almost MADE for these phones. Its smooth, accurate...however, has a warm finish to it...its almost lush, but doesnt lose detail or pace.

I had to start out with my favorite recordings which is Eric Clapton Unplugged. I noticed right off the bat the detail that this amp provides is amazing. The deep bass that comes through in "Before you accuse me" is nothing short of awesome. The airy bass really brings out that deep immersed feeling i love in music. This amp can really deliver and deliver well...i could almost be happy with just this alone in my system.

I have had it long enough to run the battery out so i cant comment on the life or anything. I can tell you that its a dam small amp for the big sound it produces.

I have briefly used it with my IEMs and noticed that its really not a nice match...which is why i believe this amp was made for full size cans. I would of like to see a gain switch so that IEMs were possible. Dont get me wrong, its NOT BAD AT ALL...its just you have too much volume at times for IEMS.

I have really enjoyed my time with this amp, its very surprising (as most things are in this hobby). I can completely vouch for this amp and grados. I have found that its just a perfect match. I have tried HF1-RS1-SR125-SR60 so far and its been a pleasure with each.

Again, thanks to Todd for giving me the opportunity to listen to this beauty. I might have to pick up one of these in the near future.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #125 of 134
Ive been listening to my RS1 + this amp combo...

just wow....ive been relistening to my favorite jazz albums and its been nothing but a pure treat.

Very smooth, detailed and very musical amp...

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #126 of 134
[size=xx-small]Apologies for the tardiness of my impressions...[/size]

Todd was gracious enough to revive the Millet Portable Loaner program by sending me a brand new unit immediately after he returned from CanJam. Upon opening the box, I was very suprised how small this amp is. All silver, in a form-factor that reminds me of art-deco flasks or cigarette cases. Despite its diminutive size, it has enough heft to give the impression of quality.

Todd suggested running it in for a bit before doing any critical listening. But when I flipped the power switch after taking it out of the box, and that green light went on, I had to take a quick listen. I plugged in my Panasonic PCDP's line-out into one end, my Etymotice ER4P's into the other, and spun up some shiny disc I had handy (don't recall what it was). Ugggh! The bells! The bells! Microphonics up the ying-yang. Not just when I touched or moved the unit, but a constant ringing even when the amp was sitting stationary on the table. Nothing I did would alleviate this sound. AC power, battery power, different sources & cables. Even placing the amp on a padded surface - nothing. I quickly unplugged the Ety's, and remembered my wife had a pair of Yuin PK1's that she had never used. At 120ohms, I thought these might be a better match for the amp, so in they went. While the microphonics were not quite as prominent as with the very efficient ER4's, it was definitely still present.

Acknowledging that this was a brand new unit, with new tubes, I took the opportunity to run the new set of PK1's thru it for ~100 hours or so.

Even after nearly 150hrs, the tube microphonics were still present, albeit at a slightly diminished level compared to when I first turned the unit on. Listening with this amp, using both the portable Panny, a Creative Zen Xtra mp3 player, as well as my full-sized Modwright 3910, I found its overall sound signature to be rolled off at the highs, rich mids, and thick, but not extended, bass. I would not call it a dynamic or detailed amp. It is definitely on the warm side, which is probably no suprise to anyone who has read anything about this amp prior. Headphones used included Ultrasone PRO2500's, as well as the aforementioned Yuin PK1's & Etymotic ER4P's.

In the end, whether I liked the amps overall signature or not, was immaterial, as the tube microphonics were so prominent. Maybe if I had headphones in the 300ohm or above impedance range, this would not have been an issue. But anything below 120ohms shows those microphonics to a distracting level. I can't imagine 32-ohm Grados working well with it, and forget about efficient IEM's.

As such, despite the fact that a tubed portable amp is an achievment in and of itself, I cannot recommend this amp at its premium price, or at any.

Despite my final opinion, I must thank Todd for offering the opportunity to listen to this ground-breaking amp, and his continued support of our community.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #127 of 134
Wierd - mine had barely any microphonics at all, especially none when holding it, only with taping it or plugging and unplugging things into the jacks. I might even be trading some stuff to get mine back.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #128 of 134
mine is microphonic if you tap on it...you hear a high pitch tinny type sound.

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #129 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine is microphonic if you tap on it...you hear a high pitch tinny type sound.

I think that is true for all of them, but like with Larry's, when I had one for review, this was only an issue when the unit was tapped on - when sitting still, there were no microphonics. Still, it's not the best choice for a portable amp for someone who will be "on the go" and moving around with it.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #131 of 134
Hi Binkobonko,

If you want to have a listen e-mail me and I will get one out to you.

The tubes do make noise but I have not heard it when it is stationary. I tried the unit that was sent the Jpelg and it was quiet when stationary for me. It did, as they all do, make the tube pinging when it is hit against anything hard.

Todd

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #132 of 134
I don't have that issue with both amps of mine. Only hear the ping when I plug in the phones or put down the amp, otherwise, it's dead silent.

Both units I have are very detailed. I am of course using quite a good source with them and my K701s - yes they drive the 701s very well contrary to what the naysayers have posted here.

It is dynamic too with several favourite tracks scaring the begeezus out of me.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #134 of 134
Thanks Todd for lending me out a TTVJ Millett to try out. It's quite well put together and feels solid indeed. The only real problem I have with it's mechanical sturdiness is the on/off switch which is a bit touchy. Sometimes you'll need to jiggle it a bit when you put it to the "on" position for it to actually come on. I'm pretty sure this is just due to the switch being a bit worn.

Sound wise this amp is pretty impressive. You can definitely tell it is a hybrid design as it has quite a bit of low end response as well as having a relatively bright presentation. This isn't a bad thing at all,it's just different from my 6P13S powered headphone amplifier. Comparing between the two I notice that instruments towards either end of the sound stage are lighter in presentation than my tube amp. Again this isn't a bad thing,it's just different and I like that. It isn't as warm as my tube but that's expected. It is very good at giving each instrument it's own space and not allowing for the sound stage to get congested.

Considering the size of this amp and how it runs off of relatively low voltages I am very impressed by what it offers. Compared to my main tube amplifier,the Hi-Fi RT-6P13P,there are things the Millett does better and there are things the Hi-Fi does better and that is what makes both amps great. I have a feeling this amp will work great for someone searching for that hybrid sound in a portable package.

Thanks again Todd for this wonderful opportunity,I appreciate it very much. The amp will be returned to you hopefully by the end of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back