New Loaner Program TTVJ/Millett
Dec 11, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #46 of 134
OK, continuing review

So, I used this mostly with my iriver ihp140 line out and Altec Lansing im716 IEMs and Grado SR-225s.

This amp excels with rock and pop music and adds warmth to classical recordings. What impressed me the most is how it kept the detail of a SS amp with the warmth of a tube amp. Compared to my little dot 2+, to put it nicely, the TTVJ Millet owns it. The amp really works well with my im716. The headphone out from my iriver couldnt power the im716s well since they were high impedance but with the TTVJ, the soundstage opens up, the midbass tightens up and the bass extends lower.

With the 225s, the midbass gets slightly better, the bass extends MUCH lower, the treble gets less bright. Basically it does the same thing that my little dot did, but better.

Dec 21, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #47 of 134
I received the amp yesterday. Can't wait to start listening to it. Will give impressions later.Has anyone else noticed a loud thump at turn on. I suggest you plug your headphones in after power on.

Dec 21, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #48 of 134
Quick impression. This amp really tightens things up and adds it own punch to the music. I am listening with 225's and it sounds nice.Nice and warm presentation.

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #49 of 134
James stewart I will need your address to ship to you next. PM me with info.

Thanks

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #50 of 134
Ok Headphonejunkie PM sent...

James

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #51 of 134
Thanks james. It will be on its way soon.Also, it looks like someone from todds staff will notify us with the next address to ship to. I received an email just recently with my address for shipment.

Thanks

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #53 of 134
I got the amp from headphonejunkie today.

James

Jan 8, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #54 of 134
I wound up buying this amp on the forums about a week ago. So you can take me off the loaner program list. Or if someone else wants to take my spot, that would be fine.

I guess I might as well leave some impressions. I currently have the Xin Reference as well, and I imagine many of you would be interested in a comparison. I can't offer what some members can in the way of eloquence in description, but I can offer a few thoughts
biggrin.gif

They have a similar sound signature, they are both of the "laid back" variety. both warm, yet also very resolving, not overly lush or slugish. So I think they are both contenders for people looking for a tube-like sound in a small package. I'll list some differences between the two.

the Xin Reference's non-sonic advantages over the millet are that it exhibits no tube rush, it's lighter, cheaper, and more durable because of the lack of tubes. It has an airyer sound, a lighter and more transparent sound. It is slightly tube like, but it is not as full or liquid as tube amps i have heard. It has some of those characteristics, esspecially in the midrange, but the treble can only be described as silky. It is precise, but just sligtly rounded off for a nice smooth finish.
biggrin.gif

Both amps have similar bass, warm, and full, but very controlled. The edge might have to go to the Xin on the control department.

The TTVJ Millet Hybrid has a slightly bigger soundstage than the reference to my ears. It has a similar "tube-like" sound to the reference - i say tube-like because it has a lushness to it, but like the reference has many characteristics of solid state precision. It has a fuller sound than the reference, esspecialy in the lower mids, which are rich, and win over the reference. It has more "weight" and body to notes, but less air, and less transparency than the reference. more of a liquid sound. Treble is smooth, but doesn't have the silky quality of the reference.

In listening to the amps, I dont think there is a clear winner. It comes down to personal taste, intended usage, budget, and synergy with your headphones. I thought the reference sounded better with my HF1's, while the ttvj millet sounded better with my higher impedance AKG K500's (K501's). I dont know if this is because of the tubes giving the akg's extra voltage, or just synergy. The more full midrange, and lower midrange of the ttvj millet definitely helps round out the K500's. I would imagine the ttvj would be a good portable option for K701's as well.

Hope that helped. Sorry for the flowery descriptions
biggrin.gif

edit: I forgot to mention a reallly nice feature of the ttvj millet hybrid. The way the volume knob adjusts the gain. From all the way at zero, to about 11 ocklock it raises the volume real slowly, so that at 10-11 oclock is not loud enough with my K500's. but then as soon as you get past 11, the rate of gain increases mightily. It is as if the amp is saying "you want power? Here you go! Ive got plenty to spare" I don't go much past 12 oclock with any of my phones. This makes the amp incredibly versitile to headphones with different impedances, the first half gives it enough sensitiviity for iems. i imagine iem users and HD650 users would both be comfortable. Not sure about tube rush with super low imp. phones though...

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #57 of 134
In comparison I would have to say that they are very similar. I had diamong buffers in my millett so it does surpass in that department. The home based millett possibly did deliver a bit more bass but that could be attributed to the fact that I used all premium components in my build(blackgates etc..) I think they both are very close. One thing I noticed is the soundstage on the portable(with my 225's) seemd a bit compressed.

I liked the millett portable. If I had a need for a portable I would seriously consider it. It does have a nice tube sound to it. It is warm and does calm down the highs for grados which I like.It is hard to do comparisons. Some differences can be so subtle sometimes.Thinking back when I owned an sr71 I would think the millett beats it in warmth. The sr71 had more soundstage; maybe. It has been a while since I have owned the sr71.

In terms of compression I mean the airiness was not as great on the portable as my SOHA and millett(thinking back on the millett). Of course different tubes are being used.

Greg

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So headphonejunkie, how do you think the ttvj millet hybrid compares to the home millet hybrid you owned?

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #58 of 134
Eric Haruki It's coming your way. I'll get it out this afternoon.

I had a lot of fun with this amp. For a portable it sounds awesome. All I can compare it to in the portable department is bithead and GoVibe, This amp is in a whole different class. Compared to my LDII I would call them very close. I'm definately a fan of tubes and the TTVJ Millet gives you the nice warm sound with a punch. The LD has a bit more of a soundstage. Compared to my old Headfive I would also give the TTVJ millet the win. I just found the headfive to neutral and cold. TUBES RULE.......

Thanks alot for the chance to audition a great little amp.

James

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #59 of 134
Thanks James - it arrived today!

Looking very forward to putting this puppy through its paces. I've owned the Hornet, Bithead, Micro Amp, Little Dot II+, and Move, so those will be my review reference points.

(Ah, I might as well compare it against my Headroom Balanced Desktop as well. mwahaha.
wink.gif

My 'phones are the UE10, Grado 325i, Senn600, and Beyer 990 - latter three balanced.

Review to come!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eric Haruki It's coming your way. I'll get it out this afternoon.

I had a lot of fun with this amp. For a portable it sounds awesome. All I can compare it to in the portable department is bithead and GoVibe, This amp is in a whole different class. Compared to my LDII I would call them very close. I'm definately a fan of tubes and the TTVJ Millet gives you the nice warm sound with a punch. The LD has a bit more of a soundstage. Compared to my old Headfive I would also give the TTVJ millet the win. I just found the headfive to neutral and cold. TUBES RULE.......

Thanks alot for the chance to audition a great little amp.

James

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #60 of 134
Thats awesome Deadie, I didn't know your screen name before, hope you didn't mind me using your real name.
wink.gif
I'll be interested in hearing how this amp compares to some of the better portables you have.

Have Fun,
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back