New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Jul 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #3,151 of 3,599
Quote:
I'm curious if others have heard the same as me with these cans...after purchase I put the requisite 100 hrs of burn-in in and then began listening...what i heard was a sweet sounding hp with nice separation, clear mids and surprisingly enough ,kinda bassy....not a bleed thru bass but still alot more bassy than i expected...and then i must've listened for approx 30 hrs, always enjoying how these cans "boogied"....bought an isabella dac/amp, and left the w3000anv as the hp's to do the 100 hr burn in with the isabella...was quite suprised when i listened post burn in that alot of the bass that was there before is gone....not to say that it is now bass deficient, but the bass dialed itself down significantly....anyone hear this? and if so, has anyone put significant hrs on these, to know where the sound quality changes will lead? idk if i miss the bass emphasis or not, or if I want it to return?

ps- the reduction of bass is not the cause of the isabella as i have 2 other amps that i use, and the bass emphasis isnt there on them either, as they had been prior to the 2nd burn in,

To my dismay I've felt there was a noticeable reduction in the bass of my W3000's over the past few days. I was starting to wonder if I'd been fooling myself with regards to how good I had thought these were when I looked over at my vintage Harman Kardon 730 receiver and realized the bass tone control was turned way down. :p

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #3,152 of 3,599
Wow it's like the proof hat burn in may be real - someone doesn't like the sound post burn in. I haven't seen a post like that before. I haven't racked on 100 hours yet but so far it sounds pretty similar to the first 10 minutes.

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #3,153 of 3,599
Quote:
Wow it's like the proof hat burn in may be real - someone doesn't like the sound post burn in. I haven't seen a post like that before. I haven't racked on 100 hours yet but so far it sounds pretty similar to the first 10 minutes.

MomijiTMO this wouldn't be the first time this has happened. It happened on  2 pairs of IE8s I owned before. I enjoyed the sound very much after a certain point of usage. I'd say around the 200 hour mark was the best IMO. But once I racked up several hundred (over 1000) hours on them the sound became too lax and distant for my liking. So in that sense you could call it burn out I guess :p  I still haven't had that happen on my IE80s though. It still has the intimacy that I want.

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #3,154 of 3,599
I'm not complaining necessarily that there seems to be less bass, as they have become clearer...its just that they were the chocolate to my hd800's vanilla, but now, at least for my ears, they have changed in SQ....but not complaining they still sound great

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3,155 of 3,599
Quote:

To my dismay I've felt there was a noticeable reduction in the bass of my W3000's over the past few days. I was starting to wonder if I'd been fooling myself with regards to how good I had thought these were when I looked over at my vintage Harman Kardon 730 receiver and realized the bass tone control was turned way down. :p

Quote:

you guys.
smile.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #3,156 of 3,599
Finally got my Bifrost+Asgard to pair with my 3000ANV :)

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #3,158 of 3,599
I will do a through out test later on. I will let the amp burn it for a few hours first. Out of the box, it sounds very nice already.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #3,160 of 3,599
The Bifrost is awesome...*drools. But the Asgard needs more burn-in times...a lot of it.Because it is at the moment inferior to my RSA Mustang portable amp. Both of these amp sounds very similar, the RSA Mustang has a unique "house" sounds that is hard to find anywhere else, even in RSA's own lineup (thanks to http://www.head-fi.org/t/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b awesome reviews). The RSA tooks awhile to burn-in and hell, you can feel and tell that it sounds better and better along the way.

Funny thing tho, my PC crashes randomly since i had my Bifrost connected (Optical from Asus Xonar D2X - 24/192). Now I am testing at 24/44.1 for stability.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #3,161 of 3,599
The EAR HP-4 is a great match with the W3000s, even better than the ECBA, IMO.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #3,162 of 3,599
The EAR HP-4 is a great match with the W3000s, even better than the ECBA, IMO.

Unfortunately I do not have the sort of finances to spend the kind of money you do on audio gear. Serious respect for you though :).

The Bifrost is awesome...*drools. But the Asgard needs more burn-in times...a lot of it.Because it is at the moment inferior to my RSA Mustang portable amp. Both of these amp sounds very similar, the RSA Mustang has a unique "house" sounds that is hard to find anywhere else, even in RSA's own lineup (thanks to http://www.head-fi.org/t/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b awesome reviews). The RSA tooks awhile to burn-in and hell, you can feel and tell that it sounds better and better along the way.

Funny thing tho, my PC crashes randomly since i had my Bifrost connected (Optical from Asus Xonar D2X - 24/192). Now I am testing at 24/44.1 for stability.

Good luck with the SS burn in. Everyone knows my general views. Maybe you need time to understand what the Asgard does or maybe the Mustang is coloured etc. Amps are like sauces - I love tomato sauce on most things but not on my vegetables. I don't want a warm amp with the W3000s.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #3,163 of 3,599
(36 hours burn-in) To make it simple for the time being, Both amp are pretty much similar "house" sounding. But if you read the short review on the RSA Mustang on the link I had given above, you will find that the Mustang is exceptional in Midrange and Bass. This is the song I been mostly using to test my headphones and amp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGpIiSvZ_9Q. Focus at the drum and bass, and this is where the Mustang really outdone the Asgard. This song when played with the Mustang really, it gives you a "nice kick in the head", very focus and engaging, kind of making you wanting to jump onto the stage. 

The Mustang does what the Asgard does in a unique way, it is overall tighter, faster, more refined, more focus and impactful but...not coloured.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean that the Asgard is "crap". The Asgard after 36 hours burn-in is getting better and better, it is very very balance already, it has very big soundstage. It sounds overall a lot "wider" and more "relaxing" than the Mustang, very "musical sounding" too...more than the Mustang. It makes you feel real good (with the same track above), it puts you in the middle and middle-back rows. The Asgard matches my HD650 and AKG 701 extremely well...better than the Mustang. It feels like you are opening yourself to the music and let it all flows into you kind-of-way 
smily_headphones1.gif

With both W1000x and W3000ANV:
RSA Mustang = enjoy music with your eyes wide open (big & forward sounding...in a very nice way *fits very well with ATH-W headphones, especially W3000ANV) 
Schitt Asgard = enjoy music with your eyes close (very wide soundstage and kind of layback, nice and balance *this amp really brings out all of technical capabilities of the W3000ANV...in a balance way unlike RSA Mustang)

(this is just me and my preferences and taste for headphones and musics, remember this thread is all about the awesome W3000ANV)

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #3,165 of 3,599
Probably the answer to my question is already in this thread, but it takes really huge amount of time to go through this big number of posts so if you could please help me with the simple answer - how much different is W3000ANV from W5000 (which I possess) sound-wise? What make the biggest difference between the two models? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back