New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Jul 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #3,136 of 3,599
Out of all anniversary W series headphones, which one is the best and most rare? I just found out about the 1st ever AT wood headphone...drool http://www.head-fi.org/t/134396/audio-technica-ath-w10vtg-review-pics

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3,137 of 3,599
The most rare are obviously L3000G, afaik only 50 pieces were ever been produced. And the best? Well it's highly personal and depends on genre. I love my W3000ANV, but I would really like to hear L3000, which are supposed to sound very good with rock, by many claimed to be superior to any AT headphones for this type of music.

btw, check this table http://www.head-fi.org/t/592247/the-audio-technica-collectors-thread#post_8087772 , I gathered some basic info on AT wooden serie, you can clearly see which ones are the most rare. Except for W2002, I could not find any article mentioning amount of produced pieces - and I was even translating original Japanese AT site (well, not me, google was :D ).

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #3,138 of 3,599
Ah just release that damned L4000. We want another leatherhead Audio Technica! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3,139 of 3,599
I don't want the leatherheads. They don't look very nice to me. I like leather (leather chairs, leather in my car etc) but leather on the outside of the cups? I prefer shiny wood. :)

Very strange. The Denon D1100 sounds easier unamped than my W1000X.

I dunno, never heard the D1100. It's his crazy views anyway as I prefer the AD2000 for his music.

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #3,140 of 3,599
Quote:
I've used these now with the Zana and the Woo 6se and they both sound absolutely fantastic! While I own and love the Zana I could easily be happy with the 6se. 

So if you have fresh money to pump, which one would you go for?

If so, how far is the difference between those two?

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3,141 of 3,599
Quote:
Just letting you know one of my friends came over to listen to my headphones to try and figure out what he wants to get. He was gutted I didn't have any LCD-2s or HE-400s to play with
rolleyes.gif
. After his initial disappointment, he started going through my stash. Since he listens to tech death, I pointed him towards the Grados and the AD2000s. I love the facial expressions people have when they first see a Grado. He didn't like them at all, mostly because of the design. The AD2000s were enjoyed. He hated the Senns, no real surprise. I told him he might like them later on. We end up at the Denon D2000 which made him smile. He wanted more mids like the AD2000 though... Out came the W3000ANVs. He was prepared to spend $500 and wanted a closed can. I told him to try the W1000X too. I don't like the W3000s for metal but according to him, they sounded way better out of his Samsung Galaxy III than the Denons. Future AT woodie owner in the making
smily_headphones1.gif
I have also decided to get another pair. I can listen to these headphones all day long as they aren't fatiguing and they look very nice (I'm shallow). The HD800s are still at the top of the list to me. AD2000s are second for my metal needs. These are for when I just want to sit back on my chair, drink an alcoholic beverage and relax.
Peace out!

AD2000 is fantastic for metal. Especially FAST metal. I find that the W3000ANV just doesn't sound quite right when it comes to fast, tight, technical metal. AD2000 just sounds more precise and on target. I've found plenty of forum members that disagree, but that's why we have so many choices available. :D

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #3,142 of 3,599
AD2000 is fantastic for metal. Especially FAST metal. I find that the W3000ANV just doesn't sound quite right when it comes to fast, tight, technical metal. AD2000 just sounds more precise and on target. I've found plenty of forum members that disagree, but that's why we have so many choices available. :D

I agree with you. The AD2000 is the superior can all round but the mids can be a love or hate thing. The W3000s keep up on my amps. I've never driven them off an iPhone though.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3,143 of 3,599
Quote:

Isn't the AD2000 an open phone?  Kinda apples and oranges if it is.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #3,144 of 3,599
Quote:
If you have the means, go for the EAR HP4. Then audition the LCD-3 to see if you like it, and then set your next goal to get an electrostat rig, then leave this site completely - that's the only way you can save yourself from upgrade mania.

That is unless you've heard most e-stat rigs and left thinking...
blink.gif

(Disclaimer: Still waiting to hear the SR009s).

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #3,145 of 3,599
Yeah you have a point there. But there is still a lot of valuable information from members here regardless. I mean you are giving him advise as well right? Is your advice not helping any? See my point? Not all of it is garbage. I've gotten good advice here and I've gotten bad. I've mostly come out on top though and came out with minor losses. Yet I got to try out different gear. Just a part of the learning experience. :)

I agree. For me, it has been worth it to filter through the bad posts and end up with very valuable advice & feedback from MH, Skylab, Project86, Musicman ( to name a few) and learn a LOT. I wouldn't be enjoying the gear I'm enjoying if it wasn't for Head-fi. It's not something for nothing...

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #3,146 of 3,599
I'm curious if others have heard the same as me with these cans...after purchase I put the requisite 100 hrs of burn-in in and then began listening...what i heard was a sweet sounding hp with nice separation, clear mids and surprisingly enough ,kinda bassy....not a bleed thru bass but still alot more bassy than i expected...and then i must've listened for approx 30 hrs, always enjoying how these cans "boogied"....bought an isabella dac/amp, and left the w3000anv as the hp's to do the 100 hr burn in with the isabella...was quite suprised when i listened post burn in that alot of the bass that was there before is gone....not to say that it is now bass deficient, but the bass dialed itself down significantly....anyone hear this? and if so, has anyone put significant hrs on these, to know where the sound quality changes will lead? idk if i miss the bass emphasis or not, or if I want it to return?

ps- the reduction of bass is not the cause of the isabella as i have 2 other amps that i use, and the bass emphasis isnt there on them either, as they had been prior to the 2nd burn in,

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #3,148 of 3,599
Quote:
I'm curious if others have heard the same as me with these cans...after purchase I put the requisite 100 hrs of burn-in in and then began listening...what i heard was a sweet sounding hp with nice separation, clear mids and surprisingly enough ,kinda bassy....not a bleed thru bass but still alot more bassy than i expected...and then i must've listened for approx 30 hrs, always enjoying how these cans "boogied"....bought an isabella dac/amp, and left the w3000anv as the hp's to do the 100 hr burn in with the isabella...was quite suprised when i listened post burn in that alot of the bass that was there before is gone....not to say that it is now bass deficient, but the bass dialed itself down significantly....anyone hear this? and if so, has anyone put significant hrs on these, to know where the sound quality changes will lead? idk if i miss the bass emphasis or not, or if I want it to return?

ps- the reduction of bass is not the cause of the isabella as i have 2 other amps that i use, and the bass emphasis isnt there on them either, as they had been prior to the 2nd burn in,

Not here, actually the opposite for me. After some playing time they settle down and the bass came more alive.
Right now they are my favorite close headphones (I have not heard the top Fostex yet).

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #3,149 of 3,599
Quote:

So if you have fresh money to pump, which one would you go for?

If so, how far is the difference between those two?

Zana is the more neutral of the two and the Woo is definitely less controlled sounding but warmer in a very nice way. 

I could go with either but prefer the more balanced sound of the Zana. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back