New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
May 6, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #106 of 5,077
Thanks
Can you check Streaming via the s7without UAPP?
Any streaming (preferabely spotify or pandora)

Is any natve player on the s7 possible without UAPP?

Thanks again

I've personally streamed Google play music, slacker radio, iHeartRadio,and watched Netflix using the red. It plays, but at a much lower volume due to Android not accessing the hardware volume control of the dac. With my V-moda m-100 I needed to also connect my fiio e06 to get sufficient volume. with iem,with a lower draw,i do not see using the red on stock Android as an issue

May 6, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #107 of 5,077
-> Devodonaldson

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It seems that people using UAPP are getting better sound quality and volume from their Red Dragonflys.

But MikeRight is for some reason getting more volume from the Black.   Could his Player, not be accessing the total output capability of the Red ? Something with Tidal or the Apple device?   

I am surprised that AQ would make something that is not compatible with Apple devices.

May 6, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #108 of 5,077
The differences in MikeRight's volume levels could be related to how Black and Red control their output. Black is analog. Red is digital.

May 6, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #109 of 5,077
Just to throw another question onto the pile. Has anyone else tried the AQ Red or Black with the AQ Jitterbug in the chain? I have tried it with the Black but not hearing any significant difference.  

May 6, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #110 of 5,077
  Just to throw another question onto the pile. Has anyone else tried the AQ Red or Black with the AQ Jitterbug in the chain? I have tried it with the Black but not hearing any significant difference.  

My Jitterbug shows up Sunday, and I'll test it with my Red and report back.

Per the earlier discussion, I don't see any way the Black would be louder than Red (unless there was something else at play).

May 6, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #111 of 5,077
Anyone know whether the Black or the 1.2 would be preferable with the Momentum On-ear?  

May 6, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #112 of 5,077
  Anyone know whether the Black or the 1.2 would be preferable with the Momentum On-ear?  

I don't think there's any doubt that Black would beat it quite handily. For one, you can't even use 1.2 with portable (at least iPhone) whereas you can w/ the new ones.

I think the debate would (or should) be Black vs Red, vs Black/Red vs 1.2.

May 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #113 of 5,077
  I don't think there's any doubt that Black would beat it quite handily. For one, you can't even use 1.2 with portable (at least iPhone) whereas you can w/ the new ones.

I think the debate would (or should) be Black vs Red, vs Black/Red vs 1.2.

Thanks, that's perfect!  Much appreciated.

May 6, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #114 of 5,077
-> Devodonaldson

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It seems that people using UAPP are getting better sound quality and volume from their Red Dragonflys.

But MikeRight is for some reason getting more volume from the Black.   Could his Player, not be accessing the total output capability of the Red ? Something with Tidal or the Apple device?   

I am surprised that AQ would make something that is not compatible with Apple devices.

I performed tests with tidal, iTunes and elmedia player and Tuneshell for flac files. And all from iPhone and Mac. The output volume were the same in all cases. So the difference are not in players.

May 6, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #115 of 5,077
Besides I asked the dealer why such difference when as everybody I expected the opposite (red louder than black). He did not know the answer.

I bet on analog vs digital volume.

But in general and not taking into account that issue, I still prefer the sound, the scene and the price of the black one.

May 6, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #116 of 5,077

I'm using a Jitterbug with the Red, a Schiit Magni 2 Uber with a macbook air & audioquest nighthawks. The red definitely benefits more from the jitterbug than the Mojo. For me you could throw a hat over the performance of the red with JB vs the Mojo.

For info. I added a second JB into the other USB port on my mac (same bus); the effect is much (much), more subtle than the one direct in the chain. 

May 6, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #117 of 5,077

I'm using a Jitterbug with the Red, a Schiit Magni 2 Uber with a macbook air & audioquest nighthawks. The red definitely benefits more from the jitterbug than the Mojo. For me you could throw a hat over the performance of the red with JB vs the Mojo.

For info. I added a second JB into the other USB port on my mac (same bus); the effect is much (much), more subtle than the one direct in the chain. 

P.S. The JB in the above set up (with or without an amp), greatly improves clarity & seperation in my opinion.

May 6, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #118 of 5,077
Hey MikeRight,

I have ZERO expertise... Just trying to figure out if I should buy a AQ DF Red or Black...

Found this on AQ Website.  

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/faqs

You may no longer have the RED to test but the first answer explains how to utilize the 64bit volume control with i-Tunes and a MAC.  Would be interesting to know if the RED either had more volume, or somewhat better sound following their suggested method of volume control.

Funny that dealer did not have any idea about volume, or at least where to send a customer for advice...

May 6, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #119 of 5,077
-> MikeRight...

Tried posting a link to AQ website's FAQ's for USB DACs...  But posting was rejected because it had a link...

Here is copy of what they say:

How do I set volume level when using DragonFly? 
When using DragonFly with headphones, powered speakers, or a power amplifier, it’s best to start at a low volume until the desired volume level is achieved. When using DragonFly in this “variable output mode” we recommend the following steps:

• Music player application (such as iTunes®) volume control should be set to maximum.
• Computer’s main (operating system) volume control should be set to 25% of maximum.
• Adjust to desired volume using the computer’s main volume control.

When the music player’s volume is set to maximum and the computer’s main volume control is used, DragonFly’s onboard 64-position analog-domain volume control is able to preserve full resolution and maximum sound quality.

DragonFly is also capable of being employed as a traditional fixed-output source component (such as a CD, DVD or Blu-ray player), and can be connected to a standard input on a receiver or preamplifier. For this application, both the music player’s volume control and the main operating system volume control should be set to maximum. This “fixed output mode” allows your audio or AV system’s volume control to be in charge.

May 6, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #120 of 5,077
-> MikeRight...

Tried posting a link to AQ website's FAQ's for USB DACs...  But posting was rejected because it had a link...

Here is copy of what they say:

How do I set volume level when using DragonFly? 

When using DragonFly with headphones, powered speakers, or a power amplifier, it’s best to start at a low volume until the desired volume level is achieved. When using DragonFly in this “variable output mode” we recommend the following steps:

• Music player application (such as iTunes®) volume control should be set to maximum.

• Computer’s main (operating system) volume control should be set to 25% of maximum.

• Adjust to desired volume using the computer’s main volume control.

When the music player’s volume is set to maximum and the computer’s main volume control is used, DragonFly’s onboard 64-position analog-domain volume control is able to preserve full resolution and maximum sound quality.

DragonFly is also capable of being employed as a traditional fixed-output source component (such as a CD, DVD or Blu-ray player), and can be connected to a standard input on a receiver or preamplifier. For this application, both the music player’s volume control and the main operating system volume control should be set to maximum. This “fixed output mode” allows your audio or AV system’s volume control to be in charge.

I'm not familiar with iPhone,but I know that on Android,unless you are using UAPP or an unlocked version of Only player, you do not have access to the dragonfly volume control control,only the music player control. So if I use Tidal or Spotify, I'm not getting full volume. I use Tidal through UAPP to get the digital volume control with the player volume at max and being able to vary the volume on the dragonfly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back